Register now to get rid of these ads!

GARAGE ART: What'd you build?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by neonloverrob, Oct 28, 2009.

1. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Obviously high gear. :p

2. thedreamer

thedreamer

Hey Rollie. Do you use auto paint to finish the tables? They look great.

3. dan31

dan31

Too funny:D

4. rollie

rollie

rattle cans...I warm up the paint cans in a sink full of hot water....seems to make it flow out nice.

5. i am enjoying this thread w/ every ones eye for insight in what they see in items

6. thedreamer

thedreamer

Thanks for the reply. It just looked so smooth I thought you painted, sanded and buffed them out.

7. It's not garage art, but I laced this dresser for my daughter. When I told my wife I wanted to do an old school show car paint technique on the dresser she was hesitant but humored me anyway. She was glad she did and loved how it turned out.
    lace dresser.jpg

8. Did this a while ago..........

and this recently...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. my50chevy

my50chevy

nice art stuff, lovin the pics

10. Threw this together in about 3 hours!

Attached Files:

11. speedfreek155

speedfreek155

Probably the ABSOLUTE BEST use of form and function I've ever seen .
    Great work !

12. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

That is stepping it up!!!!!!! love it

13. murfman

murfman

Inspired by this thread:

It is a work in progress, I'm still looking for a Golden Commando badge for the base and have to find a spring clip that holds the top halves of the pivot together, as one broke when I pulled it apart (Hence the hose clamp) I also adjusted the spring to the stiffest setting but it still needs a little more to stand straight out.

[​IMG]

14. murfman

murfman

I have one of these in my barn and can't figure out what to do with it, yours looks really good, I'm thinking about detailing it out now.

15. [​IMG]
    Inspirational thread.
    Here be a lamp.

[​IMG]

16. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

17. Murf! That's just like my Poly Spitfire lamp--right down to the chrome acorns and the on/off switch! Looks GREAT(my opinion is biased, of course);)

18. luke13

luke13

not sure if this is off topic and i proberbly dont care ethier, but if anyone knows where some 1960 plymouth taillights are so i can finish my fury couch, cant find any downunder, will post some picts when its done. ( any help grately appretiated)

19. flatcat

flatcat

not really garage art but grand kids love it.

Attached Files:

20. 117harv

117harv

1472827_503657626408098_441153035_n[1].JPG I did this for the same friend I made the table for a few pages back. This Stude nose was torched off many years ago, and was brought to me to make a wall hanger. I spent most of a day cleaning and lightening it. I marked off the back torched edge, then cut a straight clean line making it a few inches shorter. I then fabbed up some sturdy framework, (it is heavy) so it could be hung on a wall. It will get some lighting in the near future.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  21. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

I completed this piece over the weekend.

As with all my pieces, everything you see is either a spoon, fork or a knife.

Godspeed
    MrC.

Attached Files:

22. raymay

raymay

Never did like to throw things out and sometimes I find other uses.
    Both my kids blew up engines in the same car I let them drive in HS. As a remembrance of those times I built them each a piston clock using the damaged ones from their engines. They love them and proudly display them in their homes.
    I found a couple of rotted and dented BB Chevy valve covers and made a lamp for my sons work bench. Just found the other cover and started working on another for myself.
    Building a 33 Plymouth coupe with a friend. I took an extra glove box door and made him a picture frame.
    Use to build and sell license plate picture frames and clocks. Still got one in my man cave.
    Got 3 grandsons so I took a rotted out pedal car and rebuilt it into a cool stroller.
    The end table lamps using cam shafts and harmonic balancers were built by a friend as a thank you for getting him some car parts.

Attached Files:

23. homealone

homealone
    from texas

Built this a few years back.

[​IMG]

24. Stretchmobile

Stretchmobile
    from So Cal

Floor lamp made from a brake rotor, driveshaft and lamp found in trash.

[​IMG]

Stereo cabinet from an old Dr. Pepper ice box.

[​IMG]

Couch lamp from a prop blade out of an orange grove frost fan

[​IMG]

Wall clock made out of a radial engine cam ring

[​IMG]

Mantle clock from a junk quick change.

[​IMG]

Lamp from a lawn mower cut away engine. Motorized so you can watch everything move.

[​IMG]

Drink holder/magazine rack made from a cut away old Dodge non synchro transmission.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  25. Stormin' Norman1

Stormin' Norman1

I like how the builder/metal artist can see something in a drive shaft or a valve cover much the a way a sculptor sees form in a block of stone. Love this thread, very inspiring.

26. socal75

socal75

Aceuh thats a good idea for a fold away work bench!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

27. atch

atch

i can't see in the pic; does the cord run outside the cam or did you drill it so the cord can go inside and disappear?

when i checked around here to see if someone would drill one for me it was prohibitively expensive. i have no way to do it myself, except for a hand held drill; which undoubtedly would never make it the whole way without coming out the side somewhere.

28. raymay

raymay

The cord runs inside the center of the cam. These were hollowed out cams we found at my old salvage yard. It was years ago so not sure what they were actually from.
    I did just find a casting number (3522428) which is for a 94-97 Caddy 4.6 engine.
    You can get cams drilled if you have the right machine shop type of equipment to bore something that long.
    We lucked out on a lampshade choice that fit both the look of our family room and the design of the lamp. I love the lamps and get a lot of compliments when people see them.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  29. Edsel101

Edsel101

I made this lamp base out of an old wheel my dad and I had found in the back of a 58 Thunderbird. It was pretty beat up and destined for the dumpster. I figured I could do something with it so I drilled out the center cap and took apart one of the cheap floor lamps with the swivel lights and bolted it up! Cheap and easy (just like my ex)! Not quite as fancy as most of the items in this thread! Hope it fits here!

Attached Files:

30. Mickm

Mickm

[​IMG]
    I made this display cabinet from an old gas pump.
    Cheers!
    Mickm