Register now to get rid of these ads!

Private Messages - Are they Private?

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by 53flatheadmercman, Oct 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 53flatheadmercman

53flatheadmercman
    from Wisconsin

So. Uh. Are they? Or can/do moderators have access to them?

2. 53flatheadmercman

53flatheadmercman
    from Wisconsin

I only ask because a banned member is claiming elsewhere that his pm's were read. And I'm only curious. Honestly, I don't think I really care if you do or if you don't.

3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

The short of it? No. We do not read other people's private messages as they are, well... private... If you scroll down to the bottom of the page, you can read our privacy policies. We take stuff like that pretty seriously.

I'm confident I know what you are getting at here... and who you are getting it from. And as I said before, I'm not at all interested in getting involved in some internet drama crap. I don't have the time or the inclination. I have a job, a wife, kids, etc... no time for such shenanigans.

I'll say this... Even if I had the motive to get all NSA on the private messages here, can you imagine the amount of work that would take on my part. I mean, over 100,000 private messages are sent a day here. Think about it.

I gotta whole lot of better shit to be doing with my time.

In any case, you seem to be pretty interested in all of this. Are you here for hot rods and customs or? Not to be rude, but you've gotta stale account and now... Plus, you say you are from Wisconsin, but you are posting from NorCal. You know what I'm getting at.

4. 53flatheadmercman

53flatheadmercman
    from Wisconsin

I knew I shouldn't have asked.

I promise I'm not trying to drag anything up. My account is stale as I haven't been on my project for a long time now since I moved to Windsor. I finally have the opportunity to work on my car so and needed my axle dropped. And that's what made all of this come about.

Really sorry Ryan. I didn't mean anything by it at all. I'll get back to hot rods.

5. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Good enough for me. I suggest you give Sid or Joe a call... Both are solid guys and both do really great work.

6. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude

I saw that comment on that forum also. Most people that get kick off of a forum feel they have to get the last word and often bash the people from where they got banned. Like Ryan said, he's got better things to do.

7. primerhotrod

primerhotrod
    BANNED
    from ILLINOIS

Wow.

Is this really happening? Sad......

8. bigbilly32

bigbilly32

I agree. Sad. It's like those guys are teenage girls. Kind of unbelievable.

I don't know how you do what you do Ryan, but I am glad you do it. I was talking to Cole about you this morning. He told me a story that really resonated with me dealing with that young man in Salinas. Selfless brother. That's what you are.

9. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

sad?

Maybe.

I'm sure there is a reason for it. (avoiding illegal activities... stolen parts... title swaps... etc)

I can't imagine Ryan or the moderators being bored enough to spend hours looking at what we have to say...

10. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I have no idea what you are referring to... and it's likely Cole made it up! So, take it with a grain of salt. We often speak glowingly of each other using complete falsities to elaborate. I love that guy like a brother.

That's the thing. I don't have a reason to. As such, I don't read private messages... and it states as much in our privacy policy. If anyone wants to challenge that, I'm wide open for a lawsuit. Come and get me!

In the meantime I think I'll drink, rest, and ponder the meaning of this mob while I rub my tiger between the ears and eat grapes off a vine handed down by a recent divorcee... This is the life gentlemen.

11. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

100000 per day, wow! I never would have guessed even a small slice of that. What other staggering statistics might you share.
    Thanks

12. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Here's some random stats from yesterday:

# of new posts: 6183
    # of new threads: 679
    # of new users: 107
    # of spam accounts blocked: 1,678
    # of images uploaded: 462
    # of page views: 892,118
    # of unique visitors: 68,519
    % of traffic registered: 23.45
    Avg time spent on site in minutes: 12:45

13. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

That's a bunch of new threads. Crazy

14. Somebody

Somebody

I had some of the same concerns lately and got to thinking, what could we possibly be saying on here that is that important that we would need to be so paranoid? This is the HAMB, not F@$EBOOK. Ryan has a lot better shit to do with his time than spend it getting all NSA about petty school girl crap like he stated above.

15. 2racer

2racer

it would not be private anymore if the person you sent it to sends it to a moderator....

16. Model T1

Model T1

This is amazing. Thanks Ryan for giving us a little peek into what you have to put up with. So many great and interesting things here. So many great and interesting members. I don't send many private messages. But the type I do send could be posted almost anywhere if they fit. After all, we are car guys. What else do we have to write about?

17. williebill

williebill

Average time spent on site is only 12:45 ??
    I spend more time than that just reading the classifieds.
    Then I go to the good stuff.
    I would have expected the average time to be much longer.. somebody's really driving the average down..

Now about eating grapes from a recent divorcee...... sorry, I keep seeing my ex when I think about that... pics, Ryan, pics......

18. I don't see the divorcee or the grapes.
    Is that a Leica?

[​IMG]

19. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Oh, it's not your ex I'm stuffing...

Wtf man? That's some stalker bullshit right there. Y'all know better than to mess with another mans tiger.

20. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Here's my 2 cents.... If I think Ryan or anyone else is a big stinky poo-poo headed jerk, I'll be man enough to tell them.....If the need arises. People gotta learn to live and not worry about what everyone else is doing or thinking.

21. Where's my tiger? :D HRP

[​IMG]

22. Wow!

23. kasselyn29

kasselyn29

No they are not private a moderator had to reading my P.M.s today he posted on my for sale ad few minutes after some one sent me a P.M. About my location there is no way he could of know unless he was reading my Personal messages Just look on my ad for the 1929 Ford Truck.

24. Or the person who emailed you also reported your ad...

25. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

No one read your private messages. Period.

Your ad was reported 14 times within 10 minutes of being listed.

26. Don't PM anything about a moderator and you have nothing to worry about. :D ....Answer spend more time in the garage and stop worrying

27. Butch Clay

Butch Clay

How about those sweet 32's? .......... (slams a beer, goes back to reading rusty threads)

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

28. ElSupremo

ElSupremo

Lol. As a Mod on some other sites, you should list the average amount of complaint PM's you get daily. That might give him an idea that there is no need to read others PM's, because members are usually quick to point out others shortcomings.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

29. The sky is falling....

Their out to get me....

It's a Hamb conspiracy....:D HRP

[​IMG]

30. I posted on your ad yesterday because it had nothing but "Durham" for a location. I could have simply deleted it but gave you an opportunity to fix the ad to comply with our forum rules. I just looked at that ad and it now says Durham Maine. I have to assume you made the changes....
    Nobody is reading your PMs.
    Rocky
    Classifieds forum moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.