Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 354 hemi industrial adjustable rockers

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by hemi rodder, Nov 5, 2013.

1. hemi rodder

hemi rodder
    from NB Canada

i just picked up my 5th hemi, 3 were ind. with the dimple covers, no adjustable rockers there, how many of you ever come acrosse an ind. with the adjustable rockers?

Attached Files:

2. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I nearly bought one that was up in maine. For some reason the engine had dimpled covers that the guy sold but the rockers weren't adjustable. He sold the engine the week before I was able to drive up there.

3. mickeyc

mickeyc

I have a 331 industrial. Bump covers, non adjustable lifters. I also have a 331 Marine, solid lifters and adjustable rockers.

4. 73RR

73RR

I have never found adjustable rockers under the Industrial 'bumped' covers...

Not saying they don't exist, just sayin'

30dodgeboy likes this.

5. snaptwo

snaptwo

I think the adjustables were mostly marine. I grabbed a 315/325 Dodge once that had dimpled covers , just knowing I'd made a big score but alas other than having sodium cooled valve stems and rotators , it had hydraulic lifters and std. rockers.

6. hemi rodder

hemi rodder
    from NB Canada

why would they have put the dipples on the ind covers if they never have adjust rockers. and would be safe to say that if adjustable rockers it would be solide lifter cam?

7. BashingTin

BashingTin

My limited understanding is that adjustable rockers where only used with solid lifter cams...

8. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

I have four industrials, no adjustable rockers here.

9. George

George

Must have been a solid cam option that nobody elected to choose.

10. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Never have seen an IND with adjustable rockers. My feeling is that there were changes made somewhere between the engineering department and the production line. :)

There was no cam choice on the Industrial order forms.

To the OP. The engine in your first photo, even being a 55 or 56, would have been delivered from Chrysler with an IND 2 bbl intake, and the car casting heads would have been fitted with the large stem exhaust valves.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  11. George

George

There's a cost for everything, why put the bumps in if there was no reason to do so?

12. 73RR

73RR

There may have been, early on, an option that was later rescinded, but the VC were stamped in advance by the vendor. NO way they would have just tossed them out. As we know they used everything on the shelf.
    We also don't know in what order the covers were stamped. Perhaps a pile had the 'bumps' stamped before the various script was placed and the Industrial was used to clean-up the inventory.
    Never ascribe logic to MotherMopar of the 50's...

13. hemi rodder

hemi rodder
    from NB Canada

the guy i bought the hemi from said it was 2bbl, he had purchased the 4bbl intake after and was loose on the engine, said this engine was running a large turbine for sanblasting.

14. 73RR

73RR

Salt water or fresh water ??

15. hemi rodder

hemi rodder
    from NB Canada

16. Me too.

17. guffey

guffey

DSC08259.JPG

DSC08261.JPG

DSC08260.JPG

DSC08262.JPG

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  18. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

19. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Excellent parts engines.

20. hemi rodder

hemi rodder
    from NB Canada

you have a nice pair. can they be used in a rod and what mods have to me done?

21. hemi rodder

hemi rodder
    from NB Canada

bassicly good for parts, mostly the adj. rockers

22. to adapt the chevy water pump you need a hot heads timing cover. ind. engines use a big block chevy pump. a normal pass car engine uses a small block pump no special front cover needed. those engines while 354 used the331 front cover bolt pattern and the cover also covers water holes that are not on a pass 354. they also used the 392 rear bearing cap and oil pump. the dip stick hole may also be plugged with a dowel pin. care must be taken with the intermediate shaft when changing out parts. getting a new pass car 354 crank is usually the cheaper way to go. or get a 392 crank and cut down the rods and mains to 354 size. then add .050 to the thrust and make a 354 a 392 with a .060 over bore. it will be lighter and stronger than a stock 392. a very common early speed trick.

23. 73RR

73RR

• Not true
    • Why?
    • New? where do I look ??
    • Lighter only due to ½" of deck, Stronger? do tell...

24. TERPU

TERPU

Good score for you! As for the bumps and industrial versus marine here is a thought. I bet the covers are bumped as part of the stamping process in the marine/industrial plant. All the covers were stamped with bumps at this plant and when they decided to stamp the "Marine" script or the "Industrial" script they used the same stampings from the same pile. The different engines were already assembled with the major share of adjustables for a marine application. The industrial application required more often than not the hydraulic rockers for longevity and low maintenance. Also the Industrial motors required less horsepower and a more constant lower RPM cycle for a lengthy period of time. The Marine motors were often in a more torque or higher RPM setting with an expected maintenance cycle.

I have torn apart my share of Chryslers and never have found an adjustable yet under the Industrial cover. The Marine motors almost always have the adjustables unless somebody gets there first and takes them off.

As for their uses, Most industrial or marine engines just need a crankshaft change to make them car worthy. That and finding the right front cover,pulleys, water pump, etc.

All the best,

Tim

25. hemi rodder

hemi rodder
    from NB Canada

i am running a ind56 354 and there was no need to do anything to the crank, i was told same as car 354 block, i don't have them extra big water holes in front of block, same as the 354 ind. i just bought

26. Man that's all kinds of wrong info in there.

30dodgeboy likes this.
  27. hemi rodder

hemi rodder
    from NB Canada

these are ind that i have and i use the stamped steel covers and big block chevy water pump and adapters.

Attached Files:

28. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I thought the intermediate shaft of the 331 and 354 were the same but the 392 was different.

29. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Ok..we are getting a little off track from the OP. I will just add these comments.

Industrial engines are not the same as marine engines.

Anyone using a marine block should really have it looked over good. Not just salt water blocks, but fresh water also. Even fresh water does damage over the course of 60+ years. Rust has no conscience.

I would not recommend trying to convert a marine crankshaft. Not only is there no step for the timing gear, but the rear flange on a marine crank is machined to a thickness of only about .190. That's about 1/2 the thickness of a normal rear flange.

30. George

George

Could be. You'd think they'd had a central production place running bumped & non bump covers, on seperate lines, with the non bump ones getting the Firepower & Ind stampings & the bumped ones getting the Marine & ,starting in '55, getting Firepower for the 300s.