Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Help with a 1934 Dodge KC Truck.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RustyNCA, Nov 4, 2013.

1. RustyNCA

RustyNCA

My brother in law and I have started on getting this old 34 Dodge truck back on the road.

We are currently going through the brakes on the truck. We have the rear brakes sorted out, and have replaced the single master on the firewall with an under the floor unit from Speedway.

But our problem is the front brakes. I need to find a source for shoes and drums. When I pulled the one side, the shoes are down to the rivets, which didn't do the drums any good. Or a way to convert over to disc brakes.

Thanks in advance for any help you all can provide us.

Cheers
    RustyNCA

[​IMG]

2. filthy frank

filthy frank

when plydo was in bussiness , they had just about everything you need for that truck , but they're gone now ! a lot of guys convert thier front ends to ford drums and hardware , im converting mine to buick finned drums , and backing plates and hubs ! and mine is a 33 with a wavy tube axle !

3. RustyNCA

RustyNCA

Yeah, my brother in law mentioned them. Does that conversion to the Ford drums etc, take a different axle? Or does it take changing out the spindles to Ford, or .....

So you are running the Buick drums and hubs? I converted my 29 Coupe to buick 90 fin drums, but the buick hubs are sitting on the shelf.

Thanks
    RustyNCA

4. notaford1

notaford1
    from webster ny

[​IMG]Just a suggestion..put a must ll stye front end in it with a rack and call it a day..easier to get parts..will handle,brake and steer much better....nice truck by the way

5. silverdome

silverdome

Try Andy Bernbaum for the brake parts. My brother bought linings from them and we got brass rivets from McMaster-Carr to install them on his '33 Plymouth.

6. earlymopar

earlymopar

Don't go the MII route! Stay with what you have. Try an internet search for "Butch's Rod Shop" which I believe is out of business however, he apparently has a new business called Butch's Cool Stuff. He is a huge 30s era Mopar guy and advocates staying with the factory axles. He has (or at least had) the pieces to do a disc brake change over as well as springs and many other pieces. Good luck. The 33-34 and early 35s are my favorites!

- EM

7. filthy frank

filthy frank

in order to run the dodge hubs , you need to make a sleve to adapt to the mopar spindle , i havent got to that yet , but i did make the plate for the front backing plates

8. kursplat

kursplat

would love to see more pics of this

and please no SBC :D

9. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

10. RustyNCA

RustyNCA

I will see what I can do about photos. I tend to forget them.

The truck already had a typical 350/350 SBC in it, but I am talking with a friend of mine that has a small old hemi languishing in the corner of his garage that needs to live in this lil truck.

We aren't chopping it, or pulling the fenders, or changing to a S10 chassis.....

Other than the SBC motor, and the rear fenders being widened as some point, the truck is all original sheet metal, running gear etc.

Oh, FWIW, the gold and candy engine bay and firewall have been changed....

Cheers

11. RustyNCA

RustyNCA

Thanks, that looks like a good option if I can't source drums and shoes for the truck.

12. RustyNCA

RustyNCA

Well, found all the parts we needed to get the brakes done, thanks for the Andy source. Now onto the drive line and such...

Thanks for the help

[​IMG]

13. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers