Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Hog Shed Corvette

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by basicbob, Oct 30, 2013.

1. basicbob

basicbob

Widow who sold the Corvette asked me not to tell the price, she had family friends ask to buy the Corvette after she & I agreed on a price!

11s42k likes this.
  2. waterhorse

waterhorse

Nice, nice, nice find. Is there any history on why it was parked so long?
    I love to hear the stories.

3. haha exactly what I was thinking!

Great score man!

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

5. George Miller

George Miller
    from NC usa

I wounder why anyone would put a 57 injection on a 61. the 61 injection was better than the 57.
    Any way a nice find love those straight axle vetts. I had two 58's one fuel injecton, 59 fuel injection, and my 66 that I have owned for 43 years.

volvobrynk likes this.
  6. I would leave the paint the way it is, and put a nice red or black custom interior in it. Some magnesium rims ... done

7. solidaxle

solidaxle
    from Upstate,NY

The interior looks too nice for cats to take up residence for 28 years. Did they just stay in the trunk?
    Does it have the 902 Dizzy? That would be a score.

8. Damnit Bob you find all the cool shit and I bet you still got that bitchin 55 bird too I will see ya around. Coming down my way anytime soon?

9. hilltopgaragede

hilltopgaragede
    from Delaware

Nice, make it run, clean it up and leave it as-is! Kinda hippy looking, but represents the period.

10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

The paint is KILLER. Too bad its a fuelie, which makes a full-on resto pretty much mandatory.

11. slowmotion

slowmotion

FG, I think he stated earlier in the thread the to original FI unit was at some point swapped out for a '57 unit. I say clean it & drive it. It's unique as it is, and cool as hell. Why make it 'just' another restored '61 Fuely....:eek::D:D:D

12. jimdillon

jimdillon

I agree there are plenty of fuelies and this one is missing the original stuff. The only early Vette not worth touching in my opinion is the big brake cars and cars that have really not been touched in any serious way. Other than that modify them and have fun with the damn cars. They are just a neat Chevy not the Mona Lisa. Let the next guy worry about posterity.

13. racemad55

racemad55

That vette is just screaming for a tunnelram with a couple of holleys! Sell the fuelie unit for big bucks. Love the one in your avitar jimdillon

14. carpok

carpok
    from Indy

Thanks for posting, what a nice find, definitely gets my motor running. Ron

15. jimdillon

jimdillon

I would sell the fuel unit as well since it would help finance your build (it does not belong to the car-it is just a cool piece). I also like the tunnel rams of this era and have a 61 from the late sixties with a tunnel ram. The only thing though is a tunnel ram may require you to either cut the hood or get another hood(which is an option I would consider), if a tunnel ram was in your future.

Here is a pic of a car from the same era and the tunnel ram does look like it belongs there (not my car although I wish it was).

The car in my avatar had a few different looks and tunnel ram was one of them although I have different plans when my piggybank gains a bit more weight. Thanks for the compliment.-Jim

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

Bob, how do you find this stuff? Sam

17. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

I'd NOT ram it... but drive it,
    the way it is , with only what it takes to stop and go.

there like guns ya cant shoot / drive BUT only one at a time.

:cool:

18. LOVE IT!!!!! The grill looks like a 62'. Is it titled as a 61'? Did someone black out the grill?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Yes, I get that, kinda hard to miss with the fins on top of the injector, but the car is a fuelie. But, to each his own I guess...

20. jimdillon

jimdillon

George you may have a point if it was a real fuelie. An early fuel unit may be good trade bait for a 61 unit. A real fuelie with that paint work may make the purist cringe, but then that may be entertaining on occasion.

21. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

i dig the paint. Loving the acid drops.

22. George Miller

George Miller
    from NC usa

The 57 unite is worth big bucks. A 61 unite does not look like a 57, not even close. The 61 had different tack for the high HP, if memory serves me correctly.
    I know the 59 vettes did. I had a 283-293 hp. The tack went to 7000 rpms, and it would turn that right from the factory. It was one fast car for it's time.

23. jimdillon

jimdillon

I know the 57 unit is big bucks that is why I said earlier it could help finance the build. If he wanted a 61 fuel set up and was to find a dealer in fuel units I am sure they would want to trade for a 57 unit (possibly with a bit of cash and a 61 unit, unless the 61 unit was very nice and completely rebuilt). Then of course the dealer could put the 57 unit on another "original" 57 fuelie.

Although there are the fuelie script on the fenders that does not mean for certain it was originally a fuelie. Fuel injected Vettes have been big deals since they were new. There are several ways to tell if it is an original fuelie beyond just the tach. I have collected a few of these old Vettes and there are lots of stories about "original" fuelies. Some are the real deal and some are just stories. Lets hope for the OP he got the real deal just with the wrong parts. I have a 59 as well but am not familiar with the 293 HP, I always heard there was a 250 hp and 290 hp with the Rochester fuel injection.

Whatever it is a pretty cool car and I am sure the OP has his own plans.Jim

24. basicbob

basicbob

Thanks to Jim Dillion for telling me how to identify a fuelie Corvette

a. Tach with 6500 Redline

b. windshield washer with heat shield moved to right fender

c. rivited nut plate for Fuel Injected Air Cleaner on left center fender

c. rivited nut plate for Fresh Air hose on left fender

d. fuel injection fender emblems are not level, emblem raises from front to rear

Fuel Injection #70149000R 290HP 1957 & 1958

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
    volvobrynk likes this.
  25. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Looks like they are all covered to me! But I am by far not a corvette expert!

26. Proof positive that there still are cool finds lurking in a shed, barn, or garage. Personally love the 61-2's, own a couple of sixty twos with one going gassed:eek:. Your car is too cool, history and patina make for great conversation, enjoy it ...........a friend told me of a cool license tag spotted on an early Vette that was not an NCRS car........the tag read "Corect".:eek::D.

27. Cruiser

Cruiser

I truly hope you restore the vette to it's stock glory, good luck on the rebuild. :D

CRUISER :cool:

28. Gremlinguy

Gremlinguy

What a cool find/story!

29. 32csr

32csr
    from cincinnati

Car is unreal Bob. See you this week in Cincy.

30. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

I had a nice red/red '61 until a few years ago. Awesome car and one I will always regret parting with. What a great find!