Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1930 model a roof seam belt removal

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 60galaxieJJ, Nov 4, 2013.

1. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

Hey guys just wondering how to get these things out. Are they bolted in with the seam or are they pressed in? Any help would be awesome.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

2. bolted in between the panels.

3. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

4. Just took the back panel off of my tudor tonight and the strip seems to be spot welded down the edge, getting it blasted tomorrow so I will let you know then..

5. Kool49

Kool49

I am also curious about this as i have just chopped my 31 . Was trying to remove the belt seam but no luck just yet . I removed the bolts but it doesnt wanna come out . Any suggestions ?

6. jw johnston

jw johnston

Its called a t strip. Panels are bolted together then the t strip is spot welded to the center back panel with a million spot welds. Just took apart two of this recently to make a delivery door and I had a tough time not destroying the t strip. Ended up buying new ones out of snyders which are great quality but you have to form them yourself.

7. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I think they look better in than out.. They are part of "The Look" for model A's...

8. manyolcars

manyolcars

x2.............

9. Yes, after chopping my sedan I also decided to keep the "T" strips, they are part of "the look"

10. ....................x3!

11. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

I suggest leaving them. When removed it just reminds me of a fiberglass car. Not wrong, just not totally right... Good luck.

12. 63dan63

63dan63

I designed my chop lines to preserve the "T" strips. Grandpa's Model A had them. So mine has them.

Attached Files:

13. Kool49

Kool49

Im all for keeping mine as well, was just curious of how they was removed to keep them in one piece or did you weld them back together after chop? And if so how did you keep them looking seperate from the actual body . Welding tips needed on that one . I thought of cutting a 3" section out were my chop is 1 1/2 " top and bottom of chop. Doing the welds to body halves then using the 4" sections i chopped out for T strip donors to patch back in over the body welds . Of course i would have to grind the T (mounting flange) off of the strip and weld strip back into place .

14. DFW31

DFW31
    from Texas

You're coupe looks clean. Build thread?

15. 63dan63

63dan63

I have taken a lot of pictures since I brought this Coupe home in November 2007.

here are a few from last week:

Attached Files: