Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Doing Falcons Right

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by falconizer_62, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Got a little more done over the weekend . Few tidy up jobs under the hood , new wires , fitted a set of early CalCustom valve covers and knocked up a shield above the fan .
    I also built a pair of tail pipes.
    On thursday it was wifeys birthday so I snuck the seats out and shot them 'round to the local upholstery guy . The fabric the inserts are made of had all fallen apart in the California sun . I picked out a period looking fabric and he will redo the inserts in the factory pleated pattern .

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

2. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

I am finishing welding on the roof. I got one side done yesterday, 4 more pillars today. I got primer, paint , I got the roof sanded down , the drip rails stripped out, and the hood sandblasted. Ready to start some body work and get some color on this thing :)

Attached Files:

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking good!

4. cage66

cage66
    from reno

Did you chop it Falconizer?

5. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

No chop. The original one was rusted out so I got one from a donor and replaced it to stock height. I tried a slight chop in photoshop, and it looked better stock so that's back where it went. All done today :)

6. bengeltiger

bengeltiger

Gorgeous! Love the grill

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. cage66

cage66
    from reno

Good
    Nice job

8. AndrewnTX

AndrewnTX
    from Plano, TX

Here's a few pics of my old Falcon, '63 Sprint..

Attached Files:

9. Very Nice ! I like that .

10. AndrewnTX

AndrewnTX
    from Plano, TX

Thanks. It's closer to you than to me, lol, sold it to a fellow in Australia.. I miss the car!

11. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

Very nice andrewntx! I dig the wheels and stance

12. Gimpy,

Did you use blocks in the rear with the 6 leaf springs? Did you make up your own spring pack?

I like your ride.

13. AndrewnTX

AndrewnTX
    from Plano, TX

Thanks man, back in 2008 when I dropped it, a lot of test fitting wheels and getting the backspace right. I like Falcons low.... I have seen your wagon sketches on the net, that's a great color combo and I love wagons... Keep up the great work! Your wagon will look perfect with this stance and color scheme!!

Attached Files:

14. rocketsam

rocketsam
    from Phoenix,AZ

Ive been debating this lately since the inside of my cowl has tons of leafs and surface rust on it, it looks good man!

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks!

The rear leafs are 6-leaf, standard eye, with 2" drop, via the arch of the spring. They were built by ESPO. I am running 2" blocks on top of those, but will be pulling them, in favor of 1" blocks, or no blocks, at-all.

As I am running an S10 T5, the lowest point in the chassis is the bottom of the transmission case. We have some absurd speed bumps out here in Northern California, as well as some crazy drainage transitions. I have gotten stuck, by high-centering, twice now. It is just too low to be practical. Sucks, because I really like the stance.

I am going to try to see if I can get by, by putting it up 1" all around. I hope that does the trick. If not, up 2" in the back, so I can use the trunk, too.

16. rocketsam

rocketsam
    from Phoenix,AZ

Anybody have any trouble with the ignition switch not turning? I tried starting my bird today and the key is stuck in one place, this is the first time its happened and cant find any sources or anything to fix it

17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Try pulling it back out, just a little.

18. bengeltiger

bengeltiger

Your bird is my motivation. I've got a Wimbledon White 63 ht, too, though I doubt it'll ever be finished to the level your was. Love the stance & the wheels. Killer combo done right.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

19. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

That's why I had to go with the bags. The stance is key, but so is drivability and ground clearance. It seems like that's the only way to get both. Too bad that it is such a big undertaking to bag falcons.

20. AndrewnTX

AndrewnTX
    from Plano, TX

Putting an air suspension on the Falcon is a great way to go...I found that baggin my Falcon was not that bad a project... at all. Pretty much a snap if you use a Shockwave up front since it bolts right in. And totally and quickly reverseable without any cuts, welding or mods to the car.

21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have removed a few dozen Shockwaves from cars, on order of dissatisfied, angry customers.

All had leaks, some worse than others. I will never install them, and I do not recommend them. Good luck.

22. AndrewnTX

AndrewnTX
    from Plano, TX

ya you have said that before. Since you removed them does that mean you have never actually installed any? What did you replace them with?

Anything can be improperly installed or fail early. Worked great on my Falcon. They have been a good company and good products in my experience. And my experience is much fewer than "several dozen" no doubt. Ymmv.

Also it seems many are expecting air suspension to solve all their problems. Misconceptions such as you can put the airspring in, and simply dial up whatever pressure it takes to get the stance you want. So far from true. Each airspring be it SW. rolling sleeve, convoluted or what ever has a design dimension, and pressure..and the suspension must be set up around that to get proper appearance and good ride. It's not the end all solution nor perfect, just one way to go, and it can take quite a bit of trial and error.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  23. Stingraystripes65

Stingraystripes65
    from NWI

A pic of my dad and I's 1965 falcon sprint 289 ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1383623441.306572.jpg were happy with it! A work in progress but we drive it!

No brains, no headaches -Ed Roth

24. AndrewnTX

AndrewnTX
    from Plano, TX

65 Sprint.. wow rare Falcon .. cool car! only 2806 hardtops built..

25. Stingraystripes65

Stingraystripes65
    from NWI

Thanks, original paint!

No brains, no headaches -Ed Roth

26. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

These were mostly on larger cars, where I suspect that they simply could not handle the load. In each case, a conventional double convoluted air bag, of the expropriate size, and a relocated shock, was substituted.

The Falcon may be light enough to not kill these.

I did install one pair, many years ago. Not sure whatever became of that car.

27. tpw35

tpw35

Hubert Platt signed my dash at the Moonshine Fest. he thought mine was done right.

Attached Files:

28. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

Nice!!! :D

29. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

I went with the global west. For the price it was a no brainer. I also add the lower engine support. Drastic difference in body distortion. I dropped the hammer and the falcon launched nice and straight with one hand on the wheel and one on the shifter. Much more fun.
    I'm thinking the CPP front suspension is next and a limited slip vice the locker unit.

30. AndrewnTX

AndrewnTX
    from Plano, TX

Thanks a lot for the most excellent compliment.

And here's a few cool Falcon's the inspired and motivated me back in 2008...

Attached Files: