Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lake Compounce Swap Meet == WHAT DID I MISS?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The37Kid, Nov 3, 2013.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

Stayed home with a cold I don't want to get worse, so what did I miss? Photos are always good. See you there in the Spring. Bob :)

2. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Better weather than was supposed to be but I got up too late as usual so waiting for race to start...Temp starting to drop and people heading home by now so reports will be here soon...

3. Cryptic1911

Cryptic1911
    from Windham CT

Not much of anything good there this year. Not as shitty as Stafford, but it wasn't great either. It's so fucking irritating to go to a "Car parts" swap meet, and see tables of goddamn Barbie dolls, phone cases, and other useless shit. Also, what's with all the people who just lay "rebuilt" rearends, cranks, camshafts, and engine blocks in the rocks and wet muddy dirt? I'm not buying your shit, dude! Lay a tarp down for christs sake

4. Paul B

Paul B

Yep place was filled up but I didn't see anything I wanted. lots of tire kickers on my 2 cars ,lots of trade offers no cash

5. BigAl1961

BigAl1961

Guess I shouldn't feel too bad about not making it this year!!! Too bad its gone downhill, Used to be one of the best in NE.

6. Missed it this year. My two girls competed in a horse show. That's just as expensive as a car hobby.

7. Got there early in my five window. Place was full and CSRA did another great job with organization.:cool: Thanks! I did find some stuff and great deals as well.:) Someone did bring a clothes dryer for sale:eek: Took a few shots of some cars. Looked for you Bob. Sorry you are feeling ill.:(

Attached Files:

8. Hope these help!:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

9. It was cold early:(

Attached Files:

10. This black 40 was my favorite:cool: And then there was this:eek:

Attached Files:

11. More cars:cool: All in all a good day. Saw some old friends and met some new one's:D

Attached Files:

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks Mark! If you can't get to an event, seeing your photos is the next best thing. Bob

13. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

Just got back...I spent all of my time in the swap meet area, and it looks like Mark had the show area covered.

The swap was huge. I didn't see it all. I'd say 70% of the stuff there was automotive/related, i.e. engine and body parts, whole cars, tools, supplies. Yes, there were a few people selling crap, power equipment, and I too saw the aforementioned clothes dryer, but for the most part, it was worth the effort and the trip.

Chris

14. There were more hot rods in the spectator parking lot:confused: but did not see them until I was pulling out.:(

15. scootrz1

scootrz1
    from usa

My 1st 2 rows I got good deals on stuff after that not much of anything this year i started in middle and worked my way out instead of starting on a end row like i normally do one buddy was selling not a great day thou

16. i saw lot's of good stuff, a 32 pickup cab, a t-touring body, a 32 chassis, a 34/6 chevy panel truck and it seamed like a lot of multi carb manifolds. i picked up a nice set of running boards for my truck, and a period correct fuel pump for my car. i thought it was great despite not selling the 235 dual carb manifold i brought.
    i did see a cart go by loaded with two popcorn makers and a urinal.
    "two popcorn makers and a urinal"...sounds like a country western song title.

17. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

It couldn't have been as bad as Thompson was yesterday! :eek: Thanks for the pics Mark!

18. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

Did you forget to take your medication?

19. The37Kid

The37Kid

Someones family room is getting a remodeling job this winter. Wish I'd felt better, I know I'd have found something, it is the best swap meet in New England, missed seeing everyone. Bob

21. Cryptic1911

Cryptic1911
    from Windham CT

No, just getting very discouraged with swap meets lately. It took literally an hour to get from the street lights to get parked (which was down in back behind the sand pit area where they have all the storage trailers after we paid $20 to get in). I just get pissed off walking by table after table of household garbage. There was more car stuff here than say Stafford, but it aint like the old days. Mostly garbage, and like I said, people have parts with sensitive bearing surfaces just strewn about on top of stones and dirt. I'm not going to buy a cam or $500 set of heads that you just tossed in the dirt. There were some nice cars, and a few decent bodies, but overall, not a lot of good stuff.. and the good stuff was over priced as usual

22. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

I thought that some of stuff was overpriced as well, but the solution is easy...Keep track of what you want and where it is, then start making offers at 2pm. NO ONE wants to lug the shit home again, and a few dollars are better than no dollars. If it sells before you get there at 2pm, then it really wasn't overpriced, at least no to someone who really wanted it.

Chris

23. GregCT.

GregCT.
    from CT.

Originally Posted by Cryptic1911 [​IMG]
    Not much of anything good there this year. Not as shitty as Stafford, but it wasn't great either. It's so fucking irritating to go to a "Car parts" swap meet, and see tables of goddamn Barbie dolls, phone cases, and other useless shit. Also, what's with all the people who just lay "rebuilt" rearends, cranks, camshafts, and engine blocks in the rocks and wet muddy dirt? I'm not buying your shit, dude! Lay a tarp down for christs sake

Ebay and speedway have lots of shiny new boxed up parts for you, no rocks or mud. Most of us don't expect to find anything and are surprised and happy when we do. It's all a box of chocolates Forrest, you don't know what you will get. And guess what God had nothing to do with your "bad day". You did that yourself.

24. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

GEE only an hour in line to get in and it cost a whole $20.00 bucks that's only 10 bucks a head such a deal. Oh and you ended up parked WAY in the back next time try coming earlier MAYBE you can park a little closer the early bird usually gets the worm. Like Greg said its the little jewels you find that make it worth the effort. Just saying!

25. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks Greg, Thats the outlook I share, really wish I could have been there. CSRA puts on a great event. Best wishes for the Holiday Season. Bob :)

26. Wonder if this guy ever went to Hershey back in the Mud days? :eek:
    Good times with Friends, Parts ,Cars, Food & Stuff. Better than staying home bitchin :rolleyes:

27. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

I usually do all right at Lake Compounce, but it coincided with the fall swap meet at Lebanon Valley, which is 100 miles closer for me, so I went there. Can't complain about the load I hauled home from there, but I wish the two were on different days. I'll hit it in the spring.

28. Cryptic1911

Cryptic1911
    from Windham CT

Well, sorry if I come off as a complainer, and seem to have offended the regulars, but I just felt that the whole entrance and parking should have been handled much better than it was. We got there right after 7, and there was a single file line all the way past ESPN. Once inside the park grounds, they should have opened 3 lanes to let people get to the gate, rather than keeping everyone in a single lane 1.5 miles long for an hour. That's why it took so damn long.. well that and all the people blowing through the intersection, and doing an illegal u-turn to take a right in, cutting the entire line.

My gripe about the parking wasn't only that we had to pay $20 to park way the hell in the back, through a zig zag maze of dumpsters, storage trailers, piles of wood, and 3ft tall weeds, but the fact that they directed all of us past a half empty parking lot to get there. Everyone that parked back there was bitching about it as well. Not to mention the fact that my father is handicapped, so it would have been much easier if we were allowed to park in the regular lot (yes we had a placard on the mirror) instead of literally the farthest point you can possibly get from the meet area

As for the mud and all that, I didn't care that the ground was wet, or muddy. I also don't expect brand new shiny nos parts for nothing either. It's just a bit disconcerting when you are looking to buy engine parts, and half of it is in the dirt. Maybe I'm crazy, but I wouldn't feel right selling you guys engine parts that I just threw on the ground without a $5 tarp or a blanket to keep all the grit off of the bearing surfaces. That just blows my mind.

Anyways, I'm done with that.. I didn't mean to steer the thread off into a pissing match over nothing.

Lets see some pics of what you guys got

29. Hey we need to bust somebody's Balls:D I got some nice 16" early Ford trim rings for $10:eek: and a couple of small caps I have been looking for. Also Apple Fritters:rolleyes: Sorry no pictures of the Fritters:p

30. Gusaroo

Gusaroo

I wasn't looking forward to the yard sale crap this year either, but its quality time with my old man I look forward to and he loves to go every year. It seemed there were more car parts than usual which is a plus. Yet I still came home with a hat and a painting easel for my daughter...WTF?:confused: