Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical rewiring question?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by mikhett, Nov 3, 2013.

1. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

Im rewiring my 56 ford victorias dash and i have one power wire thats gotta go to 5 gauges.Its the instrument panel light wire and its gotta go to all 5 gauges.what kind of connector can i use ?1 wire in and 5 wires out.Rebel wire is cosed on sunday.Thanks

2. jjbubaboy

jjbubaboy

Hey Mikhett,
    Best bet would be to use a terminal block. Then attach all gauge wires and power to one spot.
    Jeff

3. squirrel

squirrel

solder...heat shrink tubing....

4. Just tie the others to one main lead.listen to Squirrel he speaks the truth.

5. Zurekbrau

Zurekbrau

Yep Squirrel is right.

6. 53 sparky

53 sparky

Yup.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. rfraze

rfraze

Run power wire to one gauge, cut and strip a piece of same color wire long enough to reach next gauge, crimp both wires in the first connector, and so on down the line of gauges. Sometimes you can even use a slightly larger, same color wire to reach the first connection point. I would suggest insulated connectors for power wires. Safety third. Hope that helps.

8. There you go,,that's the way I did it when I made my own wiring harness. HRP

9. Model T1

Model T1

This is the cleanest safest way to do it. Safty first.

10. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

Daisy chain.Got IT! Thanks

11. aircoup

aircoup

just did my guages that way ,, worked great

12. 39 Ford

39 Ford

That's a great idea but its a little like the old Christmas tree lights one goes out they all go. I used a terminal block on mine, to each their own.

13. roundvalley

roundvalley

Daisy chain the grounds also.

14. Leviman

Leviman

One of the gauges, or one of the wires? If a gauge fails, unless it fails shorted, it won't bring the rest with. If a wire fails, you have larger problems. Also, christmas lightsare wired in series, this is parallel.

15. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

When I did my gauges I put three wires together with solder and heat shrink. One in and two out. This made a cleaner setup that put one wire to each of two gauges, plus a third to the next gauge. Once I had all the gauges daisy chained this way I took the last end to the common feed.
    This is the cluster I built up to go into my '63 Falcon:
    [​IMG]

16. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

17. Here ya go, I also grouped the wires for each gauge and function, ( turn, hi beam, etc. that way you can unplug the gauges to work on them if ever needed. You can see the ground wire (green) daisy chained, as are the lights power wire. All the methods posted here are right, it's a matter of which way you want to do it.

Attached Files:

18. daisy chain looks cleaner, but might give less voltage to last gauge than to first one; a terminal block will give more even voltage. One place i read recommended a completely separate line to volt meter.