Register now to get rid of these ads!

The parts pile speedster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lahti35, Nov 2, 2013.

1. lahti35

lahti35

Picked up this old girl today... oh the plans we have! Its a 20's Buick thats been serving as a parts receptacle since 1949. I'll give a few hints of whats to come... single cockpit, aluminum body, dagger tail, etc...

A few photo's courtesy of the seller:

Attached Files:

2. F&J

F&J

I wonder what logo was on the doors? Maybe it was advertizing a business as yard art?

3. Could have been a taxi. HRP

4. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

I have the cowl from one of those beasts and have thoughts of using it for something. Obviously quite the car back in its day!
    Where are you located...you can't be more "North Atlantic" then I am!!! LoL

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

Must have been in a barn/shed with a bad roof. Good luck with the project. Bob

6. lahti35

lahti35

It was built in Flint MI and never went far, its stayed within 120 miles. I'm in Bay City (until we move in the spring!) and found it just east of me.

The old lady is pretty rotten but the chassis is good and there are enough jewels left to part out so the chassis should = free. I don't know if i'll repower it or stay with the inline, depends on the condition inside the engine. Took awhile to find a car that I wouldn't feel bad about parting out. I've been collecting little speedster bits for awhile now just needed this big part.

I thought i'd make a desk out of the cowl/dash and maybe some cabinet doors out of the hood sides after we move to a bigger place.

7. lahti35

lahti35

A quick sketch or the vision and a few parts destined for the car...

Attached Files:

• 030.JPG
      030.JPG
      File size:
      121.3 KB
      Views:
    • 027.jpg
      027.jpg
      File size:
      310.3 KB
      Views:
  8. That sketch is cool, will be a fun speedster.

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

WOW! Now you have to match the speedster to that steering wheel. Bob

10. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Very cool!! This will be a fun project and even more fun to drive!! Looking forward to seeing the progress

11. Great sketch- really looking forward to seeing your plans come together!

12. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

13. F&J

F&J

x2, and the body details and shapes are needing a long vintage motor like that buick motor.

I assume you looked for freeze cracks, but does it turn? I've had good luck with ancient inline Buicks that sat outdoors and still are not stuck

14. lahti35

lahti35

She's locked up but no cracks I can see... i'll soak it for awhile and see if she busts loose. I'll probably put some other inline in there... Packard 8 if I can find one maybe. The challange would be mate it up to the closed driveline.

15. PM Stevie G- he might have a spare Buick 8.

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool, quite similar to what I have going but mine's on a slightly smaller (two less cylinders) scale.

If that were mine I'd keep the hood and firewall quite similar to how Deusenbergs were shipped in that time period with a complete chassis with radiator hood and firewall and the coach builder went from there. The style lines probably wouldn't match your body design though.

I love the idea, big old two seat race car that you can visualize roaring down the main stretch of a race track.

17. lahti35

lahti35

I like the idea of a buick straight eight... probably mate up to the closed driveline better.

I toyed with the idea of using the cowl... taking a slice out of the middle to skinny it up some but anyway I looked at it the buick body just doesn't fit the plan.

I've had an "Automobiles of the World" book for nearly 20 years and this picture has always been bookmarked...

Attached Files:

• 006.JPG
      006.JPG
      File size:
      182.4 KB
      Views:
  18. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

Drooling in the corner here... like your sketch too, it's a great body style.

19. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, lahti35;

Your sketch reminds me of a late WWI airplane fuselage, from the firewall to the tailend.

Building out of metal, or doped cloth over stringers?

Anyways, looks neat.

Marcus...