Register now to get rid of these ads!

wre can i store a shobox close to Lawrence, Massachusetts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by the barnstormer, Nov 2, 2013.

1. the barnstormer

the barnstormer
    from norway

just bought me a shobox on e-bay and the car is in Lawrence, Massachusetts.
    playing With the thought to have it storaged and drive it from there to viva las vegas before shiping it to norway or seling it in the us.

but i dont know were to store it or even if i can lagaly own and use a car in the us when i am a foreigner.

so im asking here if someone has tips on how i could do this?

2. As long as the car has tags and insurance and you have a valid drivers license I don't think you have a problem.

I can't help with storage but you might offer the guy you bought it from to let you pay him to store it or take it to a mini warehouse storage unit for you. HRP

3. the barnstormer

the barnstormer
    from norway

i heard somewhere that i can not be the owner and get the paperwork, Insurance when im not living in the us but could be wrong.
    i will talk to the seller and ask him, but it dont hurt to check all options.
    thanks for the fast reply

4. the barnstormer

the barnstormer
    from norway

this is the shobox btw

Attached Files:

5. the barnstormer

the barnstormer
    from norway

ups, think the car is in boxford, ma
    dont know were that is either

6. the barnstormer

the barnstormer
    from norway

hopefully this one is up for a good road trip

Attached Files:

7. raidmagic

raidmagic

You really didn't think this through did you? You bought it with no plans on where to put it or if you could legally drive it? That's kinda funny. I would think you would be able to get temp tags and registration. Contact the DMV in Mass. Maybe the current owner will work something out with you and leave it registered in his name but have the insurance in your name. Either way keep us posted I'm interested in how this will turn out.

8. dentisaurus

dentisaurus
    from Boston

MA doesn't issue temp tags as far as I'm aware. Getting it legal in MA as a non resident will be tricky. I live here and have enough problems. Do you know anyone in New Hampshire you trust? Getting things legally on the road is generally simpler there and it isn't so far away. Sorry, I can't really see how you will be able to drive this in your own name. Hopefully someone will know something I don't. (Not an unusual state of affairs)

9. the barnstormer

the barnstormer
    from norway

sometimes the best experience isn't planned in and out that's what i've learned. like when me and my friend went from norway to a hank III concert in denmark in my 54 buick and the next day we found ourselves at repherbahn in hamburg germany for one more consert, ended up one week on the road and having the best road trip so far.
    but dident plan on buying this car either, just sitting by the laptop eating dinner and suddenly i got myself a shoebox. thinkig of shiping it home but then i got the idea of driving it to vegas, and thats sound realy cool so going for that plan if things work out
    will keep you update her on the trip and maybe even meet up whit others from the hamb on the way if there is any inntrest. maybe other going to vegas as well
    best place to follow this trip if i get it going will be on the club facebook site for the barnstormers

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Barnstormers/332785308404

here is the Buick at repherbahn, good times :D

Attached Files:

• 068.jpg
      068.jpg
      File size:
      217.5 KB
      Views:
  10. the barnstormer

the barnstormer
    from norway

don't know anyone over there but will talk to the guy i bought it from, he sold it from someone he knew but he's working for a dealership for european exotic cars so he should know some, realy hope i can get this going insted of just shiping it out from boston and home

11. Obviously the OP bought the car on the spur of the moment and I understand him wanting to do a road trip here in the states,,If I bought a car in his country I would want to do the same,,I hope it works out to his advantage. HRP

12. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

I love impulse ...... Good luck and I hope there's a trip in your future....

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. bgaro

bgaro

believe me when i say this. i would rather have my car stuck in boxford, rather than lawrence.

14. the barnstormer

the barnstormer
    from norway

ok i believe you. i don't know either of these Places

been doing a little research and think i only need an address to get the car registration in my name, should be a way to fix that even if a hotel probably won't be good.

and to those who support me and wish that i get my road trip i just wanna thank you so much. especially the member has offered me outside storage, don't know if its home at his place or were but that makes me see that maybe it's not just a dream

15. Too bad it's not closer to Oklahoma, I have temporary storage, rentals homes you could use for an address, you would be half way to Las Vegas and to top if off, right in the middle of Route 66.

16. bgaro

bgaro

better get that thing inside quick, it's gonna be snowing here pretty damn soon.

17. Karmaize

Karmaize
    from Mass

You can only get the car registered in MA if you have a form called a RMV1. You need that form stamped by an insurance agent. You then need the title, or a bill of sale and a original registration to get plates. I'm not sure about the address issue, but you can check massrmv.gov for more info on that. Good luck. MA is a beast of a state to get car stuff done in.

18. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

I lived in Boxford for 18 years.

19. gonzo

gonzo

Get the paper work and register it in Norway, fly over here with an international license and your local plates and your off to the races... Right?

20. budd

budd

i have been to Lawrence mass many times, my dads name is Lawrence and my name is Lawrence and for many many years he and i trucked two loads of Xmas trees to Lawrence Mass. each fall, also many years ago my dad and i bought a 55 studebaker from a guy in New Hampshire, he had a couple old chicken barns full of cars and he lived in a bus, lots of people know this guy i'm sure, it's a long shot but maybe he could help. if i knew his name i'd tell you.

21. dentisaurus

dentisaurus
    from Boston

Just been to the Registry, you will need a street mailing address in order to process the RMV1 with an insurance company. No insurance, no plate. You will need the title or the previous registration and a bill of sale with the odometer mileage noted on it. you will also need to pay tax on your new used vehicle at what ever the bool price that the RMV agent drags up. In my case the person behind the counter decided my model A is worth $14000, or about twice what I paid for it which adds up to just over $1000, plus the title fee and the plate fee. Welcome to taxachusetts.
    I really hope you can pull this off, would be a great road tip but it looks like it might cost you some.
    Best of luck

22. the barnstormer

the barnstormer
    from norway

do you have rental home or did i get this wrong? an address sound like a good start

23. the barnstormer

the barnstormer
    from norway

unfortunately to get it registered in norway i need to get it approved in a test for what condition its in here in norway so that cant be done

24. the barnstormer

the barnstormer
    from norway

any idea how much we are talking about her in dollars?
    if i have an address outside the area will that make any change? or must i go there to register it?

25. Karmaize

Karmaize
    from Mass

Look up the value on Kelly blue book and then figure 6.25% sales tax. There is a 75.00 title fee and I think 25.00 registration fee in Massachusetts. You can have an insurance agent in Massachusetts handle the WHOLE PROCESS for you. The use a "runner" that will go to the rmv for you, pick up plates etc. If you bought from a dealer, yet should be able to handle everything for you. The issues may be getting the car insurance.

26. dentisaurus

dentisaurus
    from Boston

I would expect around 6.25% of 15,000 US dollars.Try the NADA inthis lionk as a rough guide.
    http://www.nadaguides.com/?gclid=CP-JpfiFzLoCFcGd4AodyhsAlA
    I spoke with my agent at Hagerty (as I was on the phone to them anyway). They have no way to insure you as a non resident. That being the case you wouldn't be able to get plates in MA anyway. Drag. Short of towing it up to New Hampshire I'm not sure how you can get your car on the road in the US from Norway.
    Massachusetts isn't very accommodating for this sort of thing.

27. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

The required form for registration (RMV-1) requires the owner’s name, His mailing address (city and state) and his residential address (city and state).
    It also requires the city or town where it is garaged. (in MA.)

This leads me to believe that you do not require residency of the state of MA. ???

A MA. Insurance agency should be able to do all the paper work and bring the papers to the registry for their stamp. ??? (You will have to sign the form of course and supply them with a check for the sales tax and registration fees along with the previous title properly signed over to you, from the previously titled owner.)
    Best bet is to call an agent and inquire if they will do it. Don’t give up if one refuses, try another.

The official site for the registry is,

http://www.massrmv.com/

This onofficial site may help. If this in not the right page you can try the search.

http://www.dmv.org/ma-massachusetts/car-registration.php

Ps, Las Vegas Nv. Is about 2700 miles in the wrong direction from Norway

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  28. The problem is, The Department of Motor Vehicle in any state has to visually inspect the VIN plate to verify that the paper work match the vehicle. Along with that you would need proof insurance.

29. Not so. In New Hampshire there are no titles for vehicles over 15 years old. Also NH has no mandatory insurance and you can get a temp plate that's good for 20 days for $10. Nobody inspects anything when you do that. You go to DMV, show them a bill of sale and $10 bucks and leave with a cardboard plate. The bad news is you need to be a resident with a valid NH drivers license. Here in Tennessee there is no visual inspection either as long as you have either a valid title or a bill of sale and a current registration from a state that dosn't require titles on older vehicles. I just went through this with a 56 Chevy truck I bought. Took the TN county clerk a current NH 20 day temp reg and a bill of sale and $48 later I had a permanent Tennessee antique plate that never needs to be renewed and 10 days later a brand new crisp TN title showed up in the mail. Also even though insurance is required in Tennessee there is no "proof of insurance" requirement prior to getting plates. If you get caught without it you will get a ticket but there are plenty here who take the risk and don't have any. Posting stuff like "this is how ALL states do it" when you are only familiar with how they do things in your state just adds to the confusion and dosn't help anyone.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013