Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 41 Ford Coupe - Frame question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by matchinthebox, Nov 2, 2013.

1. matchinthebox

matchinthebox

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum, and have been doing some digging on a issue I'm facing. I could use some advice.

I'm looking to pickup a 1941 Ford Coupe. Found one in decent shape, the only problem is the front-end. At some point in this car's life someone decided to put on a camero front clip (year unknown). So now the front-end is too wide.

What are my options here?

1.) Replace the entire frame. It's my understanding that 41 frames are hard to find, and I'm not ready for a S-10 or other frame swap after reading the threads.

2.) Replace the front part of the frame with something that fits? But what fits? Any ideas?

3.) Pass on this car, find another car!

I appreciate all your advice on this issue, and future issues to come!

Cheers
    m

2. Narrow the current Camaro stub and drive the wheels off it!!

3. Model T1

Model T1

I have a 1941 Ford 2-door with a 1980 Camaro clip and it's just fine. Been driving it over 15 years. Bought it that way and all it needed was rebuilt. Don't let the HAMB know it though. Maybe you need a different wheel setback.

PS I sure miss those introductions.

4. Kail

Kail
    from Austin, TX

Having actually no experiance personally with the 41 I can only guess but doesn't this model share most of it's components with the 42,46,47,48 models? Couldn't you use a frame as a donor and maybe make modifications to front sheet metal mounts if they don't line up.

5. Fat man fab makes narrow control arms. That will solve your problem

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. matchinthebox

matchinthebox

Model T1, do you know what offset you're running?

7. fordor41

fordor41

Although 41-48's appear the same, I believe the '41 is closer to a '40 as far as front frame dimensions go. '37-'41 mostly share the same front suspension and I believe the '41 front frame is narrow like a '40

8. shouldn't be enough difference to matter. I just put a 41 nose on my 46 coupe and
    everything fit perfectly.

9. junkman8888

junkman8888

Greetings! Friend of mine subframed his 41-48 Merc with a Camero clip, ended up wishing he'd narrowed the clip before it was installed as the tires rubbed the fenders. Yes, they make narrowed A arms for the Camero/Nova but if you're looking for an inexpensive solution, replace your Camero front clip with one from a G-body GM car (79-84 Monti Carlo, Regal, Grand Prix, El Camino, also wagons), the Camero/Nova is 61-62" wide, the G-body is 58" wide. Best of luck with your project.

10. Ask what frames fit on fordbarn.com. Remember fordbarn is for restorations and if you have anything else in mind just don't mention it.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  11. mbrede

mbrede
    from Minnesota

My '41 sedan sits on a S-10 frame. Only mods needed were to shorten 5", shave a bit off the front rails, and c notch the rear. Kept eveything else intact, brakes, steering, suspension, etc. Easy to slam and rides, stops, and steers like a dream. Couldnt have been easier.

Attached Files:

12. matchinthebox

matchinthebox

newbie question, as I've never shortened a frame. Where did you take out the 5"? Middle, Front, rear?

I picked up the car earlier this week, and she is tucked in the garage now. Looking forward to this new project!

Thanks for all the help!

13. J scow

J scow
    from Seattle

I have a 41 frame just has the x member cut out. I'd let it go pretty cheap. P.M. me if your interested.

14. mbrede

mbrede
    from Minnesota

Sliced it right down the middle.