Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Bud Bryan Roadster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by hotrod_willie, Nov 1, 2013.

1. hotrod_willie

hotrod_willie

I like have see some pics of Bud's Roadster. I know Rod and Custom did article on the build in late 60 or early 70. Which year and month do I need to find? Thanks for all the help. Peace

26hotrod likes this.
  2. it was in an annual that R and C did. Complete article. I have it buried somewhere, if I remember, I'll see if I can locate it. Chip's dad did a lot of work on it.

26hotrod likes this.
  3. Wasn't it in 1968? HRP

26hotrod likes this.
  4. It was done erratically... from about 68 to 70. I have all of the articles somewhere. I will see if I can dig em up. Yeah, Sam Foose and Bud did most of the work. I know where the car is now, I have driven it a few times too, krazy eh! It has a Art Chrisman built flatty in it now, goes and sounds awesome!

-Shiny

26hotrod likes this.

5. 2racer

2racer

6. Villlage Idiot

Villlage Idiot

Ten articles running intermittently from June '68 and ending in March '71. I always thought R&C missed a great opportunity by not publishing the complete set of articles in book form. It would have rivaled the Bishop/Tardel book.

26hotrod likes this.
  7. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

26hotrod likes this.
  8. Stu Padasso

Stu Padasso

I think he still works at Sacramento Vintage Ford, saw him there a couple years ago.

26hotrod likes this.
  9. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

One of the best Hot Rods ever built coupled with one of the best magazine build series ever done.
    The car has always been in my top 10 list. Top notch.

26hotrod likes this.
  10. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

The complete article was in Hot Rod Magazine's Street Rod Quarterly/Summer 1971. Couple of years ago I built Bud a chassis for his current 29 Highboy roadster pickup.

26hotrod likes this.
  11. I don't think anything's changed on it......maybe a new interior.....the car has a good caretaker.....

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
    26hotrod likes this.
  12. BONNEVILLE BOB 95

BONNEVILLE BOB 95

0812rc_16_zbud_bryan_storyrestored.jpg
    This car is responsible for my love of "A" bones on deuce rails. I remember pouring over those R&C issues before I could read. Bud built a truly tradtional, timeless,beautiful car that's stood the test of time.

26hotrod likes this.
  13. hotrod_willie

hotrod_willie

I remember the mag. It had the complete building. I am have hard time find what mag. it is. Can someone show a pic of the cover.

26hotrod likes this.
  14. NealinCA

NealinCA

15. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

Bonneville Bob, the car pictured here isn't the Bud Bryan roadster. This picture was taken in 2008 at the Detroit Autorama and this is a photo of my car. I closely followed all the Rod & Custom build issues from 1968 to 1971 and was so impressed with Bud's roadster at the Memphis and Detroit Street Rod Nats, that I built my own Bud Bryan roadster. It is almost identical to the original Bud Bryan roadster and most people think that it is really Bud's car. This was a somewhat scary experience showing my roadster at the 2008 Detroit Autorama, as there were so many people gathered around my display that at times my display barrier would actually shake. People were gathered around 4 and 5 deep all around my display on Saturday. The Detroit Autorama is a fantastic show and I was glad to be part of it. There were so many pictures taken of my car at this show and the one you have posted here is one of them. Look closely at the flathead engine and you will see that it is slightly different than the Bud Bryan roadster.

26hotrod likes this.
  16. frank spittle

frank spittle

DSCN2782.jpg I met Bud in Gatlinburg, Tn at the Great Smokey Mountain Rod Run in 1970. It was the only major Rod Run on the east coast at the time. Andy and Sue Brizio drove out from California in their Instant T. I remember that event as the beginning of big time Street Rodding on the east coast. The NSRA was formed by some of the Tennessee organizers of the event within a year or so.

My wife and I drove our supercharged Essex Terraplane convertible the 250 miles from our home in North Carolina. There were about 250 cars and probably 249 were drove there. Bud seemed to take a special interest in our unusual car. We were pleased to see it included in the event coverage in the March 1971 issue of R&C. I don't think Bud has a clue of how much he helped the Street Rod movement the short time he was moving it along.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    26hotrod, Stogy and kiwijeff like this.
  17. hotrod_willie

hotrod_willie

Does this mag. show the beginning of the building? The 1932 ford frame preparation. I have the Rod and Custom Quarterly of winter 1971. That shows the car being painted. Bud's car is timeless. It was great build. I am glad hear about all stories about the car. Thanks for all the help

26hotrod likes this.
  18. 2935ford

2935ford

In reading the R&C article about Bud and his (mis)adventures.......
    he comments on how his roadster was wiped out by a negligent, uninsured, unlicensed driver.....well Bud backup a bit and re read what you did to a few folks cars back when you were not exactly an exemplary driver yourself......firecrackers....not paying attention.....rear ending.......sideswiping....going to fast.......hmmmmmm....sounds like a little Karma coming around...doesn't it! Life has a way, doesn't it! :)

26hotrod likes this.
  19. 22 track

22 track

The summer 1971 Street Rod Quarterly did include coverage of all 12 issues on the Bud Bryan project 29 in some detail, summarizing it in 38 pages. Some issues had more than one story. For the 32 frame preparation, you would want the August 1968 report, although suspension and other chassis related matters are covered in other issues. From Bill Jansen's rod magazine index, here is a listing of each issue of the magazine that carried a project story.

JUN68 P18 29 HIGHBOY PROJ PT1
    AUG68 P52 29 HIGHBOY PROJ PT2
    NOV68 P50 29 HIGHBOY PROJ PT3
    MAR69 P42 29 HIGHBOY PROJ PT4
    MAY69 P21 29 HIGHBOY PROJ PT5
    JUL69 P32 29 HIGHBOY PROJ PT6
    SEP69 P46 29 HIGHBOY PROJ PT7
    FEB70 P54 29 HIGHBOY PROJ PT8
    MAR70 P12 29 HIGHBOY PROJ PT9
    AUG70 P12 29 HIGHBOY PROJ PT10
    OCT70 P44 29 HIGHBOY PROJ PT11
    MAR71 P12 29 HIGHBOY PROJ PT12

http://hotrodindex.150m.com/USRCThiboy-fords.txt

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
    26hotrod likes this.
  20. xix32

xix32

I took these photos of it at Detroit `72

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26hotrod and kiwijeff like this.
  21. BONNEVILLE BOB 95

BONNEVILLE BOB 95

You built a beautiful car. I snagged the wrong pic from my files. I must admit, I thought the pic was of Buds roadster when I posted it. :eek:

26hotrod likes this.
  22. Robert (Bob) Jones

Robert (Bob) Jones

Howdy all,
    Bob here, new to the forum...
    I'd seen some discussion about the Bud Bryan 29 A V8 Roadster... Thought I'd drop in and tell you a little about it... I use to own the roadster... If I can answer some question about it from the time I owned it I'd be glad to tell you about it...

Regards...
    Bob

Cyclone Kevin and 26hotrod like this.
  23. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Too bad Greg Sharp left out the whole story Bud printed in R/C with Tom's pix included, when me & wife made the trip to the Detroit nats in 1972, with Bud & Tom as traveling companions.-----5000 miles round trip.

26hotrod likes this.
  24. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

It was one of my all time favorite hiboys, it now is owned by Julian Alvaraz in southern Cal...

26hotrod and Atwater Mike like this.
  25. hotrod_willie

hotrod_willie

Thanks for all response to the Thread. The reason I started thread because I have a 1928 Ford Roadster on 1932 rails. Bud car is icon. It has never gone out of style. I am not cloning the car but I am still ideas. I have got the Rod and Custom Mag. w/ the car build in it. This Thread has help me many ways to move my project along.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=859226

Attached Files:

26hotrod and Stogy like this.
  26. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I remember being in awe when I spotted it during my trip to the Fathers day LA Roadsters show many years ago. It was so cool for me to see it in person. I saw the X-51 the same weekend. No store bought parts. A hotrod made from old ford parts. The real deal!!

26hotrod likes this.
  27. What a car! THE quintessential, classic hotrod roadster.

I would have to credit it with being the link that kept alive a class of die hard traditionalists.

I tried using it as a guide to build my 31, but unfortunately veered off course (SBC, etc.) Definitely worth a rebuild to something closer to this icon. Glad that I got to see it in the flesh years ago.

26hotrod likes this.
  28. It so nice to see a car without a 32 grill shell

26hotrod and Atwater Mike like this.
  29. mcbay

mcbay

Welcome Bob, When did you own the car and were you in CA? It would be great to hear your story.:)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
    26hotrod likes this.
  30. 50Fraud

50Fraud

As a side note, here are some pictures of the CURRENT Bud Bryan roadster. These were taken at a small car show in Colfax, CA, but in two different years.

2011, the guy in the straw hat is Bud; the fellow on the right is Alan Kahan, father of Aaron Kahan, current art director for R&C (small world):
    [​IMG]

2012, the car very slightly evolved a year later:
    [​IMG]

When I met Bud for the first time at this show, I attempted to say to him what a profound influence his time at R&C had had on me and others of my generation. He seemed genuinely surprised, and very modest about the whole thing. Nice man.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
    26hotrod, Stogy and kiwijeff like this.