Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 1959 squarebird mild custom build thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by ynottayblock, Apr 23, 2013.

1. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

I'll let you know

HA! youre always on the invite list

Chris,
    damn good looking bird youre working on. They do look good with a little off the top, but that's beyond my abilities. Im sure we will cross paths one of these days.

Thanks dude

2. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

A little progress to show...

Me and Ian spent the weekend locked in the shop.

stripped the inner fenders, rad support, firewall and frame. Before anybody points it out, yes the steering box and control arms will be painted too.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had been slacking on priming it again because I have a buddy who is a bodyman. He is the one who painted Ian's bulletbird...and after a month of chasing him around and him not following through, I grew a pair and Ian and I did it ourselves. We will do the rest of the body this weekend, then block it out again. Getting closer...still aiming to get it to paint in November

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  3. VNTGE41

VNTGE41
    from l.a.

keep it up. great work so far. looking forward to seeing it in paint and back together

4. Very nice.:)

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. Hey ynotta, have you checked out the latest SR magazine? They have an article of a cool rear quarter mod on a squarebird.

6. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I saw that, and was excited to see it at Hollywood Hot Rods on my recent visit to beautiful downtown Burbank, but Troy wasn't open on Saturday morning when we went to the shop. He did very graciously answer my email, and didn't seem to mind that I'm going to steal a couple ideas from him!

7. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

Thanks fellas

I haven't seen it yet...but you're the third person to mention it to me. Might have to stop by a newsstand on the way home.

8. Lol, I taped the pic of the t-bird from street rodder to my dash of my truck last week. :)

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

a little more paint

[​IMG]

thats a damn goodlooking tranny...;)
    This has been Ians little project

[​IMG]

the before
    [​IMG]

Also my gasket set came in, so the engine should go back together this weekend.

10. Tin Can

Tin Can

great build. Ian's car is awesome too!

11. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Looking good. Good on ya for priming it yourself. I'm a bit nervous about painting mine, because I don't paint very much any more.

Brian

12. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

Thanks guys.

As for priming, I had to try it sooner or later...plus im shooting 2k so I'm sanding it down flat. Im taking my time prepping everything, following the instructions, I can handle that. As for shooting colour, somebody with the proper experience, talent and appreciation for the job will handle that, when the time comes.

13. Coming along nicely Brent, can't wait to see it up close.

14. BRENT

BRENT

Nice build, looks like you hit the lottery with that bird most of them in the Windsor/London area are just crust, or if they are nice they more than likely came from the states. Cant wait to see this build thru.

Brent

15. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

Rusty, this summer, it will finally happen.

Brent, I honestly couldn't believe the car when I bought it. And being that it spent most of its life in Southern Ontario...I really did hit the jackpot on it.

16. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

Got back at it this weekend. The gasket kit for the engine came in, so Ian started to tackle that. I got the rest of the body ready for another couple coats of primer. Then we cleaned the shop, cleaned and prepped the car, then I shot 2 coats of 2k while Ian was mixing batches of paint and keeping an eye on flash time, teamwork at its finest.

Ian also got me a ARP stainless bolt kit for the 352. It will look immaculate for the first few miles atleast
    [​IMG]

prepping
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

although I had to wait 5 months for this fender patch, it fit really nice.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Nothing better than an FE motor. Great progress!

18. FoxSpeed

FoxSpeed
    from NorCal

subscribed. very nice

19. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

Ian send me a couple teaser pics...he put few more pieces on the 352. Im just waiting on my oil pump and tranny filter kit and the engine and tranny can go completely back together. I still have to paint the valve covers and breathers. Im heading back to the shop tonight to knock out priming the roof and start blocking again.

Its funny how nice it will look under the hood eventhough it will be closed 99% of the time...but the devil is in the details.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

Happy new year folks.

A little update to keep things rolling. Blocked out the body again and got another couple coats of primer on it. I talked to a local painter over the holidays who has done quite a few cars for local guys and it looks like he will be the one painting it. I have to have the car ready for paint by early February, so Im inching closer. This coming weekend I will block it out again and hopefully have it ready to shoot one more time.

I still need to adjust the doors, hood and trunk before I block it out again, I just threw them on there to prime.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also while I was tackling the body Ian addressed the door poppers. This is something we had put off doing for awhile but was a pretty straight forward job. The doors on a squarebird are rather wide and had plenty of space to mount the solenoid underneath the door latch. So Ian modified the solenoid mounting bracket and added a gusset for strength and painted it. He then put some seam sealer over the welds since it will be a driver and will no doubt see some rain once it done and on the road, and water will get inside the doors. He was able to make a bracket to tie into the latch and provide some leverage so the solenoid has an easier time opening the latch. We installed this setup in both doors and tested them out a few dozen times to make sure everything works properly. I'lll try and load up a video of the poppers working later today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. gatz

gatz

all very nice work there, YNOT

I see your pal Ian has the parts-holder painted digits too.

22. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

We got back at it this weekend. I almost blocked out the entire car again, a few more weekends and she will be off to paint.

Here is a pic of the door jamb, where we mounted the bracket for the solenoid for the door poppers. You can see how nice and wide the doors are on these birds which made this really easy to fit the solenoids in the doors without any interference with the window. We chose to use the same countersunk hardware as the door latch, to give it a clean factory appearance.
    [​IMG]

Ian had to strip his steering wheel in his tbird due to a crack, so while he was at that he stripped my wheel (something we had put off doing). My wheel was in very good condition, just the paint was peeling off. My wheel had no real cracks or damage so Ian stripped it and sanded it. It will be shot with primer and white single stage.
    [​IMG]

Ian also took the front end apart to strip and paint everything. We had already painted the inner fenders, just not the control arms, spindles, backing plates and drums. Those will be sand blasted and painted black to match everything else, and the shock will be painted metallic gold.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Man Brent! I don't know how I've missed this thread for so long, but just like Ian's bird, this one is going to be stellar! You know I'm a fan of your work and that initial "plan" showing the paint is awesome. Keep it up!

Ryan

24. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

Thanks. Ian is a worker, his hands will never come clean

Thanks dude...rolling along here. I talked to Rich about painting it, so hopefully he can shoot the colour and clear. I think Ian and I will have to head up to the bend for that t-bird show this summer

25. oH weLL heLL

oH weLL heLL
    from SOKAL

Excellent work you guys are doing.
    I just recently joined here and there are so many builds I will read about but yours being the first I've read, makes me hooked already.
    Keep it up and look forward to updates. Later.

26. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

Thanks man, welcome to the HAMB. What we are doing really is nothing compared to some of the talent on the hamb, this place is full of builders way better than Ian and I. You've come to the right place.

27. Looking good Brent, been block sanding the A for a month now so I feel your pain!

28. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

got these pics from Ian last night. He sandblasted the control arms, spindles, backing plates, and drums, and applied some black paint. He also installed new bushings in the control arms while we had them out. I need to head to Macs tomorrow to pick up 2 more bushings to complete the front end. He also stripped and primed the shocks, which will get gold paint. I'll be off to the shop this evening, to sand my weekend away.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

I love the Square Birds as well but here is my old bullet

[​IMG]

30. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

Toast, Ive seen that bulletbird for sale a couple times now, nice bird.

This passed weekend I got the body blocked out again and ready for another round of primer, which I will shoot this weekend. Ian and I took a little road trip on Saturday down to Lockport NY to pick up some parts at Macs, the most important being the upper control arm bushings, so Ian could finish off the front end.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]