Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects N C DMV inspection on a 32 ford custon build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32highboy54, Nov 1, 2013.

1. 32highboy54

32highboy54
    from southport

What kind of safety inspection do I need to get my car on the road in N C. The DMV inspector came to my house today to put the Vin number on the car. He told me when I get the title I will need to get it inspected. Have any of you guys have to go thru with this.

2. I'm pretty sure the DMV man can answer that:eek:

3. 2racer

2racer

4. Carolina Man

Carolina Man

What year is on your title, or is it listed as a special construction vehicle?

5. 32highboy54

32highboy54
    from southport

Its listed as a 2013 custom built

6. Carolina Man

Carolina Man

That is the reason for a inspection which should be a safety inspection. Other than that I do not know if you will have to pass emission inspection.

I do know if a car is 35 years or older does not require a inspection of any type. Last vehicle I had before I moved was a 72 Dodge truck did not require a inspection.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Yep.

8. harleyjohn45

harleyjohn45

You need a document from the DMV, It might be easy, or it might be a bag of worms. With my luck, it would be a bag of worms.

I'm finishing a 30 AV8, I started with a 30 Model A frame. Jumped thru all the hoops and I have a 1930 Model A Ford title. It took me 11 months to get a bonded title in New Mexico. I simply did not want an as built title.

9. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

oh no !!!! :eek:

10. Always try to get it titled as a original car in california a special contruction will have to meet emissions etc

11. Bob 1743

Bob 1743

I went through the NCDMV inspector thing twice. Once for a 1930 Model A & once for a 1952 F1. Both times the title came in as the year & make of the car. A title for a '30 Ford and a title for a '52 Ford. No further inspections were needed. I think your problem is that your car was classified as a current year model, therefore must get an annual inspection. I don't think you can do anything about it now, your title is in process.

12. NC DMV gave my car an assigned VIN.The NC DMV inspector on my car asked me how I wanted the car to be classified. After all was done , I was told it did not have to be inspected (Safety/Emissions)at all... I went straight to the Tag Office and bought a tag & registered the car.. The registration came back as "1926 Ford replica"
    I think in your case , it was how the DMV filled out the paperwork designating it a "2013 custom built".. ...

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  13. luckystiff

luckystiff

I sent you this in a pm yesterday but for all to know....

Our Website has the link to NC bill 820 that explains ALL of this on the right hand side of the news page....
    http://www.ruttersrodshop.com/news.htm
    and the direct Bill info from there by clicking on the blue icon beside NC Titling Law....

Basiclly your Inspector did NOT know how to do his job and now you have to do it for him. It's probably gonna be a pain in the ass now that you've let him list it as a 2013. It should be listed as a 1932 Ford REPLICA which would make it NOT subject to any inspections. As a 2013 special contruction it WILL be subject to ALL inspections including emissions inspections just as all 2013 cars in this state are. I'd say at this point you may even require the help of the attorney who's number is listed on our page to help you get this straightened out.

NC is rediculous with not knowing this own laws/regulations/bills. I once had my 67 vw squareback IMPOUNDED and was written 6 tickets because of running year of make plates. which is legal in nc. the problem stemed from my correct plates being stolen out of the car while at work(i was leaving work and headed home when pulled 2 days in a row). $300 in towing and impound fees(new years weekend and they were closed til tuesday and the tow guy was the cops "buddy") and 6 weeks later a court date that ended with the DA apologizing to me and having me file a formal complaint against the officers involved(went no where).

But yeah there is a way out for you but now that they've already assigned it it's probably not gonna be easy...ken....

14. Bob 1743

Bob 1743

Luckystiff,
    Great info on the senate bill. Everyone should print it and keep it on file.

I agree the inspectors make on the spot decisions that are not accurate. I had to buy a bond that was later deemed not necessary. A waste of time & money.

Thanks,
    Bob

15. luckystiff

luckystiff

yep 3/4 of them don't know how to do their job that our taxes pay them to do and end up costing us more money to straighten out. i could see if this was something new but it was passed a few years ago.

that kinda goes with nc's "assigned values" for vintage vehicles. i argue this nearly every time i go title something. the last being my 62 unibody. rusty pile of shit i paid $700 for. nc instantly assigned it a value of $3900. i always ask if they'd like to purchase it for like a grand less than their assigned valued. they never find the humor in it....ken...