Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Prewar GM C-body Kustoms

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by jamcoupe, Oct 31, 2013.

1. jamcoupe

jamcoupe

I picked up a 1940 Buick 56S Super Sport Coupe a couple months back and have been searing for pictures of GM kustom cars, specifically the C-body.

my buick.jpg

Some info below pulled from Wikipedia

When introduced in 1940 the new Series 50 Super featured the cutting-edge "torpedo" C-body. The new C-body that the 1940 Buick Super shared with the Series 70 Roadmaster, the Cadillac Series 62, the Oldsmobile Series 90, and the Pontiac Torpedo featured shoulder and hip room that was over 5" wider, the elimination of running boards and exterior styling that was streamlined and 2-3" lower. When combined with a column mounted shift lever the cars offered true six passenger comfort. These changes had clearly been influenced by the Cadillac Sixty Special.

I have searched for a thread but haven't found anything yet.

Please post any pictures you have of these type kustom cars weather it be a Buick, Cadillac, Pontiac or Olds. :D

Thanks Jeff

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  2. Looks much like my '41 Chevrolet, which we will be chopping this weekend in the Winfield Chop Class at Mercury Charlie's.

Who knew turret-tops make great looking taildraggers.

3. 51ChevPU

51ChevPU
    from Arizona

I'll try to chime in after I get some pics of my 1941 Buick Super coupe project. As Jamcoupe indicated, the body style was longer and wider than
    the standard coupe of the day. The wheelbase on my 41 is at 121 inches.
    Beatiful cars of the day...

4. jamcoupe

jamcoupe

ThunderRocket the Chevys were not built using the C-body platform that I'm looking for. Thanks but I'm looking for a specific style of car.

5. i'malittleslow

i'malittleslow
    from TEXAS

6. jamcoupe

jamcoupe

[​IMG]
    I love the Vic Grace Buick but would really like to keep mine in the pre war era. Maybe 38 Cadillac caps and 41 Buick skirts and a stance like the Vic Grace Buick.

7. 49styleline

49styleline
    from oregon

The irony with his name..

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. jamcoupe

jamcoupe

I was thinking the same :rolleyes:

9. J53

J53
    from WI

...not to mention those are all '39 aren't they? Be patient, these '40 Buicks are kinda rare. Working on one myself right now for my dad but it's a little off topic for the HAMB. For your sake I hope it's in good shape and complete, parts are hard to come by.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. jamcoupe

jamcoupe

It's in pretty good condition and better shape than any other car I have built so I'm excited. It's only missing the rear glass and bumper. Any leads on the rear glass would be very helpfull.

11. 'Mo

'Mo

I always liked the windshield rake on this Olds.
    The car was customized in 1941, during restoration from a fire.

[​IMG]

12. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Mine is a kustom to be. Style will be California full kustom with nothing newer on the car than 1948. I am a big admirer of the Vic Grace car and also the George Barris 1941 Buick. Right now it is a stocker with only lowered rear. The car? 1940 LaSalle series 52 Convertible. (425 made). Wheelbase 123". Buick Roadmaster and Cadillac have 126". Mine had not been on the road since the early 1960's, but I got it out running last summer.

Must admit that I have not seen many good examples of this body style kustoms built pre war. Most I have seen came out after 1945.

13. I think the problem people are having here is that you posted a picture that was not a c body ... makes it confusing I suppose if you DON'T READ THE REST OF THE POST

14. jamcoupe

jamcoupe

Lucky please elaborate. What picture are you referring too?

15. CadMad

CadMad

Here are a couple of 41 Cads and a 40 which I presume is the same or similar C body ? THere is another thread for a 39 Lasalle prewar build down the Traditional Customs list some good ideas there also . A couple are courtesy of Rik's Custom Car Chronicle.
    Quentin.

Attached Files:

16. CadMad

CadMad

Here's the 40.

Attached Files:

17. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

The McCormick/Westergard 1941 Cadillac is a bit "modern" styled with its 1948 gear all over, but it's a nice car. C-bodys are so beautiful!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  18. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

He means the picture of the Buick coupe you posted in your original post. My initial impression was that you didn't know which body you had, because that car is the smaller series. Just glancing at the post, it's not clear what you're talking about… There have been several threads about the big Sedanette body cars. The Olds shown above is KILLER, proving a door formal sedan can be made pretty slick.

Brian

QUOTE=jamcoupe;9326566]Lucky please elaborate. What picture are you referring too?[/QUOTE]

19. MercuryCharlie

MercuryCharlie

Steve ; well your 41 Chevy looks a lot better with its new hair cut.
    It was great hanging out and working with you.
    Gene is really awesome is he not.

20. jamcoupe

jamcoupe

I got some wheels on the Buick and started to look at how to chop it. Would anybody please photochop one of these pictures showing a 3" chop in the front and maybe bringing the roof forward then extending the catwalk area. I want to keep a roof crown to it and dont want to lean the rear window too much. Maybe even a 3 window version like the Var Martin Buick below but with a shmaller "C" piller area. I really like the James D version of the 39 Lasalle shown on the this thread.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=829470&highlight=lasalle

[​IMG]

Thanks,
    Jeff

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  21. jamcoupe

jamcoupe

Thanks ThunderRocket that helps alot!

22. jamcoupe

jamcoupe

23. Yeah, thats what i said….

In case you missed what we did to mine….its a completely different chop.
    What I started with:
    [​IMG]
    and look what Gene Winfield did to it:
    [​IMG]

It ain't a Buick, but wants to look like one when its finished. ;)

24. jamcoupe

jamcoupe

Nice Chevy!

I'm hoping to keep the roof crown in it but just bring it down a little. I don't want it to look like a fast back.

25. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

26. That was what I had originally planned too, but I like the way it tuned out just fine.
    Can't wait to see your progress.

27. jamcoupe

jamcoupe

I saw this beauty on a Facebook post earlier today. Does anybody know whos owns it or built it?

Attached Files: