Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical who has modified their 40 front brakes to self energizing?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by john walker, Oct 25, 2013.

1. john walker

john walker

Rather than spend big bucks for some new self energizing backing plate assemblies, there must be a way to do it yourself. gotta retain the 40 backing plates and the old drums to mount 35 wires though. what car provided the parts, and what was the setup?

2. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

There is a really great piece of tech put together somewhere here who used GM parts and kept it super low buck. Sorry so vague... I know it exists though.

need louvers ? likes this.
  3. Stu Padasso

Stu Padasso

Didn't Chris at Salt Flats Speed Shop do that? I think I saw it on here.

4. alchemy

alchemy

5. Dave50

Dave50

Brian Bass Bass kustom does them too. look him up Basskustom.com

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  6. deuceman32

deuceman32

7. deuceman32

deuceman32

Geez I type slow. The one I refer to is a 32 Tudor build. Looks like F100 wheel cylinder, maybe later 12" ford pickup shoes and adjusters?

8. john walker

john walker

i can do that, but nobody mentions what exact parts they used.

9. I've got the parts list somewhere. I'll try and dig it up for you.

10. alchemy

alchemy

Andy said he uses all 71-76 Chevy Wagon rear brake parts. But somewhere he talked about going to a larger bore WC. Not sure what from.

I like the idea of using most parts from one car, so you can walk up to NAPA and say "I need these parts from a '75 Chevy Wagon".

11. Blackie

Blackie

I will spend the money and have Brian Bass do mine. He's way smarter than I am & will be about the only thing of his I can afford, besides maybe a hat... or a shirt...
    http://www.basskustom.com/blog/

12. john walker

john walker

so 12 X 1 3/4 shoes from a 76 wagon, 1 1/8 bore cyls from a ???, non-self adjusting hardware from a ???. bass is nice for $500, but i like doing stuff myself. then i can spend the other $400 on other things.

13. alchemy

alchemy

The '76 wagon shoes are 2". About all the 12" shoes you'll find from self engergizing brakes will be 2" wide. Except maybe early Lincoln stuff.

Andy mentions you can grind down the shoes to 1.75", and that is exactly what Wilson Welding does when somebody orders a narrow set.

Shouldn't matter with '40 or Buick drums though. The 2" shoes will fit in them.

14. john walker

john walker

with some google searching i see that 48-50 packards use 12" x 1 3/4" shoes. the rest of the hardware and cylinder may work also.

15. sunbeam

sunbeam

There a guy on Ebay selling 12x1 3/4 Packard shoes for $75 an axle. If you go to his Ebay store he list a lot of hard to find stuff.

16. john walker

john walker

i'll check it out.

17. George Miller

George Miller
    from NC usa

Never did 40 brakes that way. But I have made Model A self energizing.
    That is what I have on the front of my Roadster in the picture.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  18. Hop2it

Hop2it

I have found a couple of sights that have modified ford backing plates and give details seabrighthotrods.com/?p=167 and hotrodsandhemis.com/front brakes.com.html. Hope this helps Doug

19. Hop2it

Hop2it

Leave out the second .com on the hotrodsandhemishemis web address sorry for the screw up Doug

20. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Thanks to those who have mentioned the self-energizing brake conversion that I offer. I have done quite a few of these now, and I must say that there is a lot more to it than just finding the correct shoes and wheel cylinders. And if you want it to actually look good when you are done, then that's another story altogether. I pride myself in delivering a finished product that not only works, but also gives the appearance of never being altered.

I use off-the-shelf shoes and wheel cylinders, and all new hardware. Some of the hardware is still available, and some of the parts I either make in-house or have made for the conversion.

In the photo below, you can see the difference before (right) and after (left).

[​IMG]

The other side:

[​IMG]

This is one of the backing plates I did for my roadster, which has also been drilled and chromed. I metal-finish all welds to the point that the backing plates are suitable for chrome.

[​IMG]

Yes, the base conversion cost of $475.00 (plus shipping) may sound steep at first blush, but if you were to attempt this yourself, you would understand why it costs what it does. There really is a considerable amount of labor involved, added to what the necessary parts to complete the conversion cost.

-Brian

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
    Pewsplace, Mikel50 and flynbrian48 like this.
  21. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Looks like a good deal to me Brian, sometimes it is hard to remember that a $100 isn't worth much anymore.

22. sota

sota

Very nice Brian

23. Beautiful, in fact.....

24. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

Brain, do you offer the conversion for banjo Ford rears also?

25. john walker

john walker

what width are '40 shoes? 2" or 1 3/4" ? damn tempting, those bass units, but we'll see how my conversion goes. what wheel cylinder does that look like?

26. alchemy

alchemy

Shoes are 1.75", but drums are 2".

27. john walker

john walker

can anyone ID those wheel cylinders? shooting for 1 1/8" bore.

28. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Looks good Brian. I scored some 46-48 plates and when the time is right, I will be getting with you.

29. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Yes, I do rear brakes also (same price)...and I just started offering an optional rear emergency brake kit that will work with original Ford cables.

30. Brian - is your kit designed around the 32-36 floor brake handle or would it also work for
    the later dash pull handle?