Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Chassis Research style dragster/Comp Coupe build flathead powered

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by dragsled, Nov 20, 2011.

1. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Thanks for the info Carl,,, Being the chances of my daugther Brandy getting in the seat of this thing, ( Plus I like my feet also) I'm adding some extra tubeing in the leg area, Here's some pics of the tubeing placement, Any Chassis guys , want to offer their thoughts,,Lines are not to scale just looking at placement,, also I never liked the feel of the steering u joints so I'm going to mount the box on a swing out bar, to get it out of the way when removeing the trans,, Plus a pic of the muts laying on their Bark-o-lounger in the dog yard,,,, Tim Jones

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  2. Tim do you have a copy of the NHRA rule book? good pics of what ya should have in there...........

3. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Just old rule books, but I do have a set SFI specs for a funny car ,I'll just have to find it, , We started building a bellhousing yesterday, rolled a 6 inch wide piece of plate steel for the main part, our roller at work is a hand crank one :( kicked my old ass, but it came out nice, we,ll weld up the inside seam today, then I'll bring a block and trans into work to finsh the mounting pieces and back section, won't be nhra legal but safer than nothing:D I took pics on someone else's camara, so it will be a couple days before I can post those, I'll shoot a couple of the finshed main ring today,,,,, Tim Jones

4. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

I would think about putting an "X" in the trans bay as it would put the welds in the corners. If you did it like the pic shown it put a large welded area in the center on a straight tube and some distortion and pull could upset driveline alignment

5. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Thanks for the input Bruce, this what you had in mind?,, Tim Jones

Attached Files:

6. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Here's some pics of the bellhousing start, and Our hand roller,,, the x brace in the can was to keep it all straight while welding the seam, plus my drawing of what I had in mind,, Probally will change a bunch before it's done:confused:,, Everything I do is a work in progress,,,, Tim Jones

Attached Files:

7. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Yes, By welding into the corners the tendency to pull at the weld is minimal and you wont lose alignment.

8. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Thanks , looks like it will add alittle more protection also, I want this car to have the look of an old style car on the outside , But be as safe as I can make it with todays knowledge,, Tim Jones

9. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Did a quick test fit of the bellhousing, still have to do some cutting to get the fit on the engine side,Plus I'll cut the rear cover plate tomorrow,,,, Tim Jones

Attached Files:

10. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Nice work Tim:) The bellhousing is a good insurance:) I don't have one, but the French block has better casting;).

K

Taildragger&fenderless

11. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Looking great, Tim!

12. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Tim, You are sure making some great progress on your ramp truck and on your rail.

I for one really like the rail with the Fiat body . . . . Right out of a AMT kit from the early sixties . . . .

Dave

13. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Thanks Dave , I'm pretty happy with the way things are going, Keeps me out of trouble:D, I always liked the comp coupes with the fiat bodys, Plus I remember building all those crazy looking models when I was a kid:) ,,,, Tim Jones

14. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Thanks
    kjell and buddy, The type block I have makes it alittle harder to do the scattershield , but anything is better than nothing:eek:, got busy at work today so only had time to do some cut outs fitting the shield to the block, Dam job is always interfering with race car work:D, this week I,ll make the bubbles for where we did the cut outs on the scattershield, after that we'll do the mounting tabs inside the can, plus the rear cover,, Tim Jones

Attached Files:

15. Wow keep pluggin away there Tim. When is something flat, round? why when Tim gets a hold of it!!!

16. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Got alot done on the scattershield ,last weekend we worked on the rear cover ,My friend Beth (lizbeth) on the Hamb, has been helping me do alot of work lately ( she wants to kick me out of the seat of this thing ) between her and my daugther Brandy I don't have a chance:(,, , We got all the mounting tabs drilled and tapped or the rear cover, doesn't fit too bad over the trans, all that's left is to cover the places we cut out for clearance and starter pocket, the trans mounting tabs inside the can, plus lenghten the shaft that the clutch pedal is on,,,, Tim Jones

Attached Files:

17. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

I'll call that certified by SFI;)

K

Taildragger&fenderless

18. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Well certified by CDR ( Crippeled Dog Ranch) atleast:D:D:D

19. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Got somemore down over the last couple days, Got the inside mounting tabs done, the cover plate for the clutchshaft done,,, made a sleeve to extend the throwout shaft and the starter pocket, now just have check the fit on the motor and pan I use on the race motor at home,, here's some more pics,,now I just have to clean up some places I cut out for clearance:D,, I won't beable to use the motor plate because of the scattershield,, so we'll have to make some different rear motor mounts:) ,,,,Tim Jones

Attached Files:

20. How much does that baby weigh??????????........... you might need a smaller driver.............

21. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

We weighed it today 50 Lbs, about the same as the rest of the steel cans out there, as for the lighter driver I have one, Beth who wants to drive it, weighs alittle over a 100 Lbs, , turns out she's a pretty good wrench also,, Said she'd let me drive once in awhile:D:D:D

Attached Files:

22. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Thanks Carl. The idea of driving Tim's car is a dream for me. I have always had a thing for fast cars, and have tryed to learn about fixing my own daily drivers. I kinda figure if you drive it you should know something about its function. I look at it this way he lets me drive I better know how to tear down between runs . Side by side I will learn all the wisdom he sends my way:D. This is my once in a lifetime chance, so I am taking it full on wrenching to driving and all the stuff in the middle. Thanks for your support Beth.

23. No problem Beth, knowing Tim just from his posts on here I know he will be just as excited to see you drive it as he is driving it himself. I know I love it when someone else gets a chance at the paddles of the Flat Fed, and it is great to see the car go down the strip from the outside........
    plus once you get a ride you are hooked for life.......

24. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

We got alittle more done on the can, Made a couple plates to cover what was cut out for clearance on the side,starter pocket and cleaned up some edges,,Looks like Beth is gonna have to do alot of this by herself after the T-Rex got done with me:eek::D:D Tim Jones

Attached Files:

25. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

The other block had a few cracks but other wise in great shape, We plan on filling it with Block-Crete, so the cracks aren't a worry, Beth gave it a paint job tonite, Looks pretty good:),,,The Block turned out to had been freshened up before I got it so hopefully tomorrow we can run a hone through it, and clean up the cylinders, and be another step closer to the blower motor:D,,,,, Tim Jones

Attached Files:

26. Man Tim, you will be surprised just how muck block crete the ol flattie will consume................ If I remember correctly it took two large block containers........ lots of space in there.

27. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Thanks for the info Carl,, I was checking into useing another type of filler,but from what I read with other types of cement products you run the chance of the filler delaminateing from the cylinders , the product I was thinking about useing is called Hydrostone ,I've used it for alot of castings in silicone and latex molds and the srinkage was very little if any,, any thoughts? I thought about testing it in a junk block then sawing it open after it cured,,,, Tim Jones

28. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Was at a race once and this guy splits a cyl wall on his BBC, gos to HD and picks up some tile grout,mixes it , fills his block and lets cure overnight. Next day puts the engine back together and proceeds to win the event. I think the color was "Spanish Mocha"

29. "Spanish Mocha" must be some kinda fast chockolate.....
    Anyway Tim I used the Moroso stuff on the heads and block and haven't seen any kinda shift or movement but its a messy job, next block I'm doing I'm going to use aluminum on though as it is going to be a seven port block, more on this later...........