Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What where used as door poppers back in the days???

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by sex_shooter64, Oct 27, 2013.

1. sex_shooter64

sex_shooter64
    from BELL

So my 65 year old Irish boss tryed to explain to me what they use to use as door poppers back in the day maybe some one on here can explain it better or even pictures

2. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Sex....back in the day they actually used starter solenoids...Cal Custom and others sold them in kits..I believe they were GM starter solenoids...

3. creepjohnny

creepjohnny

I worked for an old bike builder in High school and he had a 57 olds with poppers in the doors. He said they were out of an old pinball game. I have no idea how that worked but that's what he claimed. I guess it was the round solonoids that click when the ball hits it and it pops the ball away. It defiantly was a quick pop sounds and not the mechanical pulling sound that new ones make. He rigged it up to a button under the wheel well

4. All my old Hotrod Magazines say this was the common practice.

5. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

I would think a pinball solenoid would be 110v...not to mention not strong enough to operate a latch...those old starter solenoids are very powerful....

6. The coils from an old electromechanical pinball game came in 24 to 50 volts. You could hook them up to a 6 or 12 volt battery with a capacitor
    in line and hit a switch and it would energize the coil to pull in the plunger and allow the door to open. Those coils have plenty of punch to kick a steel pinball around, easily, they would also have the punch for a car door latch.
    I have bought brand new coils that are used in re-building old pinballs, they are anywhere from $8 to $14 a piece. Pm if you want more information.

7. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

41 Lincoln had factory door poppers, just not electric

8. 51 mercules

51 mercules

This popper came off the trunk lid of my 51 Merc.The doors have the same kind.My merc was built in the mid 50's.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  9. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

aren't the poppers the little springs that open the door after the solenoid releases the latch?

10. Thats what i thought also? :confused:

11. Seems like you could rig up almost any sort of stronger spring to do the popping part.

12. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd like to see a wiring diagram and parts list if anyone has one.

13. Model T1

Model T1

Yea they are. In the past I used the tornado looking window crank springs behind a screw, like the dome light switch screw to pop my doors. That's after the VW starter solenoid released the latch.
    Now that w've gotten fancy many spend a lot of money for fancy chorme or shiny billet spring loaded poppers and small solenoids that do the same as the starter solenoids. Sometimes they even work as well.:rolleyes:

I'd like to see a wiring diagram and parts list if anyone has one.
    Here's your schematic.... Run a 12Ga red hot wire from anyplace always hot to the little wire on the solenoid. Add a push button between where you can get to it from outside. Might want another button inside in case you ever wanna get out. It is self grounding.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  14. 6 cylinder Chevrolet starter solonoids and cut down valve springs welded to A-post

15. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

I bought a 55 ford fairlane once. It had a choke cable ran by the back window for a trunk popper. On the inside of the car of course.

16. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

I had an old 1940s chopped Ford convertible that had those in it.

17. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Like someone said above...there isnt a "popper"....in a non modified door when you operate the latch the door pops open right?There is a part of the latch that pushes against the striker...thus pushing the door open....the solenoid simply operates the latch so you can shave the door handle off...maybe someone way back called it a popper because when the solenoid is activated it makes a thunk and the door pops open....

18. Colin HD

Colin HD

I used a cut down valve spring.

19. Torchie

Torchie

My original ClarKaiser built custom had solenoids but no poppers to pop the doors open.
    They worked just fine.
    For smaller sized solenoids take a look at the ones used on outboard motors with electric chokes. They are 12 volt as well.
    Torchie.

20. big vic

big vic
    from cary il

they mention solenoids in one of the car songs from back them( the solenoid system )

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  21. big vic

big vic
    from cary il

yeah i just looked myself and stand corrected { cherry cherry coupe,,},i remember asking my dad what that meant back in the day i thought they were singing celluoide system and it didnt make sence to my dad who wasent a hot rodder,,then i asked at the dragstrip and the guys explained it to me, and even showed me a setup on a 56 chevy in the parking lot and yes it had starter solenoids in the door and little chrome springs in the door jam

22. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

GM starter solenoids,...Usually with a relay.

4TTRUK

23. Kinks "solenoid heroes ":)

24. I've used GM power door lock solenoids to good effect.

And, yes, they are loud.

Cosmo

25. dbrs1959

dbrs1959
    from KANSAS

I have used starer solenoids . also have used door lock solenoids. The door lock solenoids work well because depending on how you wire them they will either pull or push. that gives you more choices on where you can mount them

26. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

If we are talking about 50s and 60s.... the vast majority used starter solenoids....nowadays you can use anything...but back then they used what was available....door lock solenoids didnt really come into wide use till the late 60s at the earliest and most likely the 70s....

27. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sometime in the 60's there was a story/article in one of the magazines on using starter solenoids connected to a cable that ran around a pulley and up to the door latch.

I think it was pretty much the same stuff that was in the "door solenoid" kits at the time.

28. 327Eric

327Eric

I had the same set up on my old 59 ElCamino, customized in 1960. It also had dual ford starter solenoids on the firewall to power them up.