Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Vern Tardel Enterprises: The Epic Yard Sale

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I feel sick that I will not be able to attend this; sicker still that I will live in a world where there is no longer any chance of owning a Vern Tardel-built early Ford.

3. This is disappointing on many levels.

I hope Vern enjoys a long, healthy, happy retirement.

4. Oh man... I'm depressed

5. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

That is a huge bummer. . . but I guess he came, he kicked some serious ass as a hot rod builder, and now he's on to the next chapter. I can respect someone for that.

He certainly made his mark!

6. seatex

seatex

Good on Vern, he's earned a little fishin' hole time, but BigCheese327 nailed it....

I feel sick that I will not be able to attend this; sicker still that I will live in a world where there is no longer any chance of owning a Vern Tardel-built early Ford.

Thankfully Keith will carry on those traditions in fine fashion!
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________

7. chaddilac

chaddilac

Every Saturday till Nov. 9th... that's only 1 saturday?

8. Someone please take photos if possible. Many of us never got the chance to see the place in person.

Congratulations to Vern though! Life is too short to work yourself to death.

JH

9. The 2nd and the 9th. 2 Saturdays?

10. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Sorry. Fixed. That should be every saturday in November, starting this saturday.

11. chaddilac

chaddilac

Cool!! I think he should charge $5/head to come in and look around! that'd be awesome!!! Then sell Dogs on the side! :D

12. osidebarrel

osidebarrel
    from San Diego

Vern's "Let Me Help You" series of books have been one of the best purchases I've made in a while, do you know will they stay in production? Website staying up also? If so, not ALL is lost..

13. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

finally some realistic parts prices... wish I could find a way to spend a saturday there at the ranch. By the way, I'll take a hood if anyone is swinging by there.. I still can't bellieve this is it. Probably 20 years ago I was first exposed to Vern and his old ford ways by Mike Bishop in American rodder... I have been forever changed. Thanks for staying true and exposing us all to the old ford ways.

Jeff

14. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I can see the ebay ads now..."Genuine Vern Tardel Parts" $$$$ :D

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  15. being a dairyman....I'd like that dairy products sign! :)

16. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Funny you should mention that... There's a vintage sign that hangs around the top of Vern's barn that reads something like, "Motor Tune Ups, Service, and Repair." If you've been out there, you've seen it. Originally, that sign said "Ryan's Motor Tune Ups, Service, and Repair," but Vern cut off the "Ryan" part and Keith gave it to me as a present.

Anyway, Vern called last week and is sending the rest of the sign to me for my new shop. It's gonna be really weird seeing that thing in Texas.

17. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

will the series of books still be available?

18. You guys are looking at this all wrong. Here is a man who has building early Fords for ever and instead of hoarding all of it till he dies and then letting the family deal with how much is there, Vern is taking the bull by the horns and handling it for himself and then can enjoy retirement with all the cash that is made. On top of that everyone that buys from him get's to meet him and say they were there buying stuff from him for their cars. I am serioulsy thinking on a road trip of about 900 miles for me to go there and do some shopping.

Good for you Vern. Well played.

19. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

I wish him all the best to this legend in retirement. That is one garage sale that I would love to attend.

20. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yes... In fact, Vern is gonna work on even more books.

21. Bitter sweet. The man has earned his retirement for sure but thinking of a world where Mr. Tardel isn't building old Fords makes me feel...an empty feeling like something precious has been misplaced and isn't likely to be found again. If that makes sense.

22. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

Does anyone believe that anything will be left for sale after this Saturday?

I think it will all be gone...FAST !!

23. Don't be bummed guys... I talked with Vern for quite a while at The Father's Day show... he's retiring, not selling his soul and going golfing.

He's still going to be submerged in the car hobby... but it's going to be more that (a hobby) than it is a job.

I'm stoked for him.

Sam

24. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

Does anyone know if there will be more for sale than just what is listed with prices??

25. eddie1

eddie1

End of an era. To bad he is far away from me.

I wish Vern a long & happy retirement!

26. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

27. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

crazy, I hope he has a great retirement. I also hope the parts go to good homes to get used and not flipped.

28. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Why didn't he build his stuff in Detroit!!!!!! WTF...

However, I'd say he's earned it, and I agree with the comment about handling it right. Smart move and a "party" of sorts to kick off retiring in the best possible way.