Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Early Lakesters... The purpose built racer.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jive-Bomber, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

No Roll Bars, No fire suits, no helmets.
    Nothing but BIG (Formal Dances) Oh maybe I can say BALLS

The closest currently running land speed vehicle, IMHO, is Bobby Greens new Indy racer

3. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

I love the lakesters. There is just something about a single seat racer.

4. Paging Jimmy B ... :D

5. rustman

rustman
    from Cabool, MO

They are timeless!

6. Jack Luther

Jack Luther

These are beautiful things.

7. HRS

HRS

Anybody have more info/pics of Dick Ford's Chevy?

That thing is way cool...

8. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

That's hilarious! I was thinking the same thing! I thought, surely JimmyB has already shared some knowledge or added pics to this post.:)

9. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

What ever happened to the Warth/Orr car?

10. JWL115C

JWL115C
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Someone pointed out on the PackardInfo site that the #8 car is sporting Packard wire wheels and wheel covers. I'll bet that is the fastest they ever turned.

(o{}o)

11. Adam Bahm

Adam Bahm

I"ll take #14, with lights. What a beaut.

12. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Reminds me of the Tommy Lee roadster, when the fenders were off, running on the lakes. Great stuff!

13. Great! thanks for posting!

14. autobilly

autobilly

Real Hot Rods, road cars knocked down and hopped up specifically to pursue dusty speed.

15. Page received. :D

Haha, this article was posted @ 1:27am and now is the first chance I've had to post, plus I got to get the anticipation up.

Not sure, it was run as late as '49 possibly '50 by the team of Path & Moore. Like the Remington & Ken Lindley modifieds the Warth/Orr Mod was update with a sprint car style rear so they could run the streamliner class.

Out of the Remington, Lindley/Dietrich & the Warth/Orr modifieds the Lindley/Dietrich car is the only one known to exist.

This photo from the SCTA 70th anniversary in 2007
    [​IMG]

1949 Bonneville car run by Bill Walker
    [​IMG]

catdad49 likes this.
  16. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Gotta love it. Jimmy gets paged, shows up AND answers a question with kick ass pics and history.

17. 296ardun

296ardun

Jimmy, what happened to the Danny Sakai modified? Know that he died in a motorcycle accident in 1941, what happened to the modified?

[​IMG]

18. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Question. Are TRUE Lakesters all single seat? And the headers I'm seeing are a LOT cooler than what's presently being called Lakester headers.

19. After Danny's death the Mod ended up with Tommy Lee. Danny stored and wrenched on the mod at the Lee garage. Willet Brown who worked for both Don then Tommy Lee acquired the mod from Tommy, some say after Tommy's death in 1950.

In the 2nd issue of Hot Rod February 1948 the Sakai Mod is shown in a full page photo with ownership attributed to Willet. Whether that was because Tommy was shying away from being mentioned in a new magazine devoted to what was considered a public nuisance youth culture is hard to say.

A story I heard is that a mechanic that worked for Willet started to strip the car of its usable parts by that time the mod was in less than pristine state and was being stored with other dilapidated cars. The other was it was stolen sometime in the 70s.

20. 296ardun

296ardun

Thanks, Jimmy, sad that it is apparently gone for good, be great if someone with deeper pockets cloned it, like the Remington modified...

21. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

great thread guys... keep it going this is going to be fun

22. It is a hard thing to define what a true lakester is as the definition changed and evolved. Today a lakester is viewed as being a bellytank racer, or an opened wheeled vehicle with a streamlined body.

The Lakester was first used in SCTA competition in 1949. It was a broad category for example in 1948 Xydias/Batchelor was in streamliner class. 1949 it would have been in the new lakester class due to being opened wheeled vehicle.

Another example is Ray Brown and the Spurgin/Giovanine roadsters in 1948 they were both run in "A" roadster class. But with the changes to the rules for 1949 and because both cars were channelled, track noses and had bellypans 1949 they ran in lakester class. Same thing happened for Don Waite he had to run in Lakester class. Jim Khougaz had to as well.

1950 saw the introduction of modified roadster class cars like Ray brown's, Spurgin/Giovanine, Don Waite, Jim Khougaz would run that class. Lakesters became what we know today as a lakester.

23. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Yup, you can't buy kits for these from Speedway.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]

25. T__N__A

T__N__A

Here is my early lakester/modified. Might have seen some action on the board tracks and dirt track too if it was built a built 75-85 years ago.

The #1, Karl Orr car is one of my favorites.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
    catdad49 likes this.
  26. flamingokid

flamingokid

Love the deco front end on the Frame Lakester.

27. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Is this the American built Stu Hilborn replica? I can't find any info on that, but this one is up for sale in Sweden now. $28 000.

Rear axle and engine is 1934 Ford. Great car!

Attached Files:

catdad49 likes this.
  28. Gunpilot

Gunpilot
    from Tennessee

What are those wheel covers? And where can I find a set?
    thanks

29. [​IMG]

Doesn't get any better than this....One of my favorite cars of all time!

catdad49 likes this.
  30. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Another example is Ray Brown and the Spurgin/Giovanine roadsters in 1948 they were both run in "A" roadster class. But with the changes to the rules for 1949 and because .....

Yup, you can't buy kits for these from Speedway.

If I have my names right,,, In 1998, Giovanine came to Speed Week with a roadster he built from a Speedway kit, the image I have is large formate film, and no scanner for now. So maybe you can build one from Speedway

Jimmy B likes this.