Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's this black liquid coming out my tail pipe?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 49styleline, Oct 16, 2013.

1. 49styleline

49styleline
    from oregon

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1381900645.358990.jpg

It's not coming out as steam its shooting out as a cold liquid and has no smell. It has left me stumped. hopefully someone will know. Thanks in advance.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. BISHOP

BISHOP

its just carbon and condensation. may need a carb adjustment and a timing check. may be running a tad rich.

3. 49styleline

49styleline
    from oregon

Thanks!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. Diavolo

Diavolo

It could also just be condensation washing out previous carbon deposits. If you aren't running rich, don't be too alarmed that this happened. It's more annoying than anything else and maybe replacing the muffler and tailpipe will catch that before it comes out the back end.

5. k9racer

k9racer

Years ago many people did not drive their cars long enough to get up to operating temp. Or they drove them very slow.. So we used the term "Blow the suet or carbon out" Most of the time a Mechanic or helper would take the car out for a fast drive. If you had a mountain or long hill this made it easier.. Nothing to worry about.

6. dadseh

dadseh

Get it out of the shed and drive the sucker!!

7. "Let's go for a spin and blow the cobwebs out". oldschool slang :D:

8. COUPES

COUPES
    from England

It takes 10-15 miles for an exaust to clear if in a cool climate. Freeway driving will help. Short runs and condensation sits in silencers as well carbon. New fangled cars with CATs and particulate catchers have a problem if only used as a runabout, they block up and sensors don't get the right readings. Who needs sensors? Give it a good blast n should be good!!

9. bgaro

bgaro

no smell, but whats it taste like?:D

10. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Tastes like chicken!

11. gebbs

gebbs
    from Addison

Make sure you check your oil and make sure you haven't diluted it with that rich mixture.

12. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It needs what we used to call "An Italian Tune Up". Get it out on the interstate and break the law for as far as you can. Of course all the safety recommendations apply.

13. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

"soot"

14. hendo0601

hendo0601
    from Tacoma, WA

I see this a lot up here in my neck of the woods when the temps start to cool down. Customers complain about a lot of "white smoke" when they start their car first thing in the morning but it goes away after it warms up, or like what you have said here a lot of black liquid coming out of the tail pipe. It is absolutely normal, nothing to freak out about. Get the vehicle up to operating temperature and drive it around a bit to get the exhaust nice and hot to evaporate all of that crap. Otherwise the moisture will hang out in the exhaust and cause premature rusting, especially around any joints that may be clamped together rather than welded. Most modern mufflers have what is called a "weep hole" to allow moisture to drain out, and it wouldnt hurt to drill a small 3/16" diameter hole in the very bottom of the tail pipe just after the muffler to aid in draining as well (it wont hurt anything and you wont be able to see it).

15. xwing01

xwing01

have a diesel in your project? in all seriousness, I'd guess carbon soot

16. Hell Jed, you struck oil!!

17. Up from the ground come a bubblin crude, oil that is, black gold................anyone old enough?

18. flathead okie

flathead okie

Texas T so load up yer truck and move to Beverly

19. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

hills that is, swimming pools, movie stars.........

20. fsae0607

fsae0607

It's just carbon caca and condensation as others have said. My 61 has that and it stains the driveway when warming it up :mad:

I just installed new Brockmans and tailpipes, so we'll see how long it takes for my pipes to get black again.

21. pitman

pitman

These guys, someone pushed "The" button!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqIZa3PTX6c

22. Leebo!

Leebo!
    from Yale OK

Im glad someone asked the same question. I have the same problem and it has been bothering the shit out of me. Hasn't looked like I had water in my oil, or oil in my water, and no noticeable drop in either.

Here is the question I would like to add. I have an old mid 80's motor with 55K miles that was fairly well maintained. I pulled all the EGR crap off. When I dropped in my chevy I was building, it has all new exhaust pieces. Where is all this liquid soot coming from, and how long should it last? I had a pretty good run from home to the HAMB drags, about 3 hrs each way. I would have though that would have taken care of it ?

23. elba

elba

Back in the 70's a friend of mine had a small block Chevy doing the same thing. He just knew there was something amiss. Took the engine apart and didn't find a thing wrong.

24. .Frank Zapa.. Don't eat the yellow snow.

25. Leebo!

Leebo!
    from Yale OK

Guess im like your friend. Not a good mechanic at all, but want to know the reason behind it. It doesn't "just appear", or everybody would have this issue!

26. KRB52

KRB52
    from Conneticut

I'm old enough to remember both Jed and Frank. Maybe the Mothers will play a gig out by the cee-ment pond.

27. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Water coming out the exhaust during warm up is normal. Black water is not. It could be a rich condition or an oil burning situation. Had the same situation with the motor in my 50 chevy. Decided it was time to rebuild it, not just because of the black stains on the garage floor, it had other issues. After the rebuild the water that comes out at warm up is clear.

59fordyfairgalax500 likes this.
  28. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

That's your car's carbon footprint.

29. 2racer

2racer

carbon_footprint_673685.jpeg
    carbon footprint?