Register now to get rid of these ads!

new floor jacks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mohr hp, Oct 23, 2013.

1. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

Looking at floor jacks; Summit has an aluminum Sunex for $250. anyone have one? Hard to say how long a jack will last, but I'm not buying another disposable one.

2. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Sunex floor jacks only have a 1-year warranty and like everything else today they're made in
    Asia.

The Garage Journal has numerous threads pertaining to Sunex.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  3. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Hein Warner. American made, lasts a long time, and then can be rebuilt.

4. oleman

oleman

Hein Warner. Had one at my gas station for ten years, never had a problem. Not cheap, but you get what you pay for

5. jalopy31

jalopy31

I bought a Hein Warner jack two years ago and love it. You will not regret buying one. No comparison to the Chinese made Craftsman I had before.

6. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

I needed a very low profile jack and didn't want to get rid of my good jacks so I bought one at HF.
    Quality is actually decent compared to the old bright orange clunky crude ones they used to sale.
    Item#68050

7. Bryan G

Bryan G
    from Delmarva

Another vote for the Hein-Warner. When I bought mine I searched the web and found a place that offered free shipping.

8. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I mentioned in another thread that I too bought one recently from HF, the 4 ton model on sale, and it really isn't a bad jack at all. Slow to go up, but it lifts my 5100 pound Caddy like it isn't there.

Not top of the line, but not bad either.

Don

9. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

I've got a Walker #93652 I bought in 77. They called it a 1.5 ton back then. Walker sold their jack line to Lincoln (the one that makes lube equipment, not welders) and Lincoln called it a 2 ton. Hein Werner eventually got the line from Lincoln and now a H-W #93652 is rated at 3 tons. Identical to my 37 yr old one, right down to the blue and yellow color scheme. I guess them tons have lost weight over the years :)

10. luckystiff

luckystiff

as mentioned the HF ones are pretty hard to beat for the price since they go on sale often. Hell I've still got one of the "old clunky orange ones" mentioned above that serves me well. had a problem with it a coupla years after I bought it and they gave me another no questions asked. they do that for me a good bit under warranty or not. maybe it's all about getting to know the guys there and them taking care of you. not saying I approve of all their stuff but a lot of it isn't bad...ken....

11. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Go to garage sales at older places, business auctions, even re-sale shops. The good old Craftsman green jacks with the white handles are some of the best ever made. I have 2 that have never failed me. Conversely I have a Hien-Werner that I bought in the early 90s. It leaks down and always has, even after service it still did it. Works fine for a quicky but I always grab my trusty 70s Craftsman.

12. slowmotion

slowmotion

^^^I'll second what Highlander said. One of the first things I bought when I got a garage with a see-ment floor back in the 70s. Green/white handle, been up & down more than a whore on payday. Still tickin'.

13. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

We all love to hate HF, but I've got three of their floor jacks from a big old 4 ton to a couple of small aluminum quick pump 2 tons. The old 4 ton is about 10 years old, the others are only 4-5 yrs. old, but never had an issue with any of them.

14. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

The green and white Craftsman were made in Japan I think. The burglars got it in '98.
    The front wheels were pretty low, which was real handy for sneaking under low cars or when the tire's flat, and my memory is it worked smoother than any I own now.
    I got one from a local shop's trash pile cause it had been sitting outside with the plugs open. I hope i can resurrect it.

15. butti

butti

I hate to say it but wal mart is a good way to go because of the return policy. Very easy to exchange if it gives you any trouble. I have had one for a few years. Low profile and it lifts my 1 ton diesel truck no problem.

Keep it inside and even a cheapo lasts for years and years.

Another decent option is napa but you are out of luck when the warrantee runs out..

16. I just bought a HF low-profile, the one with the wide stance in front and 2 wheels, as opposed to the goofy "Flintstone" wheel ones that look more like a pie dough roller. I like it. I also have a 70s Japanese long-frame which hasn't broken yet, and a really brutally heavy, mint condition 60s Blackhawk that needs a new seal, but I picked it up dirt cheap at a garage sale and couldn't say no.
    I bought an aluminum Craftsman back when they first came out and were stupid expensive. That thing broke as if it were made of Legos.

17. cryobug

cryobug

I owned a tire store for years and this is the only jack I would trust to do the job. Most of the time we would wear the wheels thin before the hydraulics would give out. Besides the durability they would work faster; when your in a tight spot where you can't move the jack handle much it is nice to make small movements with the jack handle and get noticeable results.

18. williebill

williebill

Another vote for the green and white Craftsman. Yeah, it's a Japanese built jack. Mine dates to the early 80's, and it's been mistreated as much as all my other tools. The handle is hard to turn, so it's had a vice grip for leverage on it for 20 years. Or my hands are getting weaker with age.

19. Gizzy

Gizzy
    from N.W,Ohio

I'm watching the HF sale flyer,I'm gonna get the one that raises up to 23" as soon as it gets a little cheaper.

20. racer32

racer32

Don't buy one of the new Craftsman jacks. My high-dollar 4 ton one went tits up after only a few dozen uses over the years. The POS hydro unit is non-rebuildable, and costs almost $200 to replace.

I'll also never buy another HF jack. I got one of their cheapo units when I needed one away from the house, and damn near got crushed when I let the pressure off. When you crack the screw it drops RIGHT NOW.

I'm holding out for an estate sale or craigslist bargain on something old, rebuildable, and made in the USA.

Right now, I'm making do with an old scissor jack, a bottle jack that my dad bought 40 years ago, and lots of wood blocks. Slow going, but at least it know they'll work.

21. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

I bought a HF aluminum jack, it worked fine the first time on the second use a piston seized and wouldn't lift my Triumph Spitfire. That was 91 days on a 90 day warranty. I bought a second jack it failed the next day. A check valve failed and allowed the hydraulic pressure to slap the handle against the door of my car; unfortunately my hand was holding on it at the time.

I ended up buying an old Lincoln 1.5 ton jack and an old 2.5 ton brazilian made jack at a sale. I tested both by holding the rear of my pickup up . Both look old but each held the truck up for 2 days without creeping down.

22. My wife gave me a new Hein - Werner floor jack for Christmas in 1974.
    39 years it still operating perfectly. Indistructable.
    Buy one of those and pass it on to your grand children later.

23. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

Funny you guys all like Hein Warner, that's the one I'm replacing. I got it in 1993, and it's always missed a pump now and then. Now it's leaving puddles wherever I park it. Am not able to find anybody locally who wants to work on it.

24. I have an el cheapo jack that my Father-in-law gave back in the early 70's. Probably didn't cost more than $25.00 then. Still use it and lifts just fine. I looked but can't read the manufacturer. I think it says "Pro Lift".
    My other jack is an aluminum one from AC Delco that I bought at O'Reilly Auto Parts. It lasted for about a year and now won't pump up anymore. I also broke one of the handles off of it. I really liked that jack because it was light and easy to move around. I didn't like that it had such a short life.
    If I ever buy another jack it will be aluminum but better quality.

25. Leevon

Leevon
    from Nixa, MO

My HF low profile 3 ton has outlasted 2 craftsman (pieces of crap). The only complaint I have is that the release is touchy, which I know and don't think about but my Dad nearly dropped a truck off the jackstands because he slammed it down. Not sure if that's the HF in general or just the one I got.