Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dads old car parts are leaving

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by realkustom51, Oct 28, 2013.

1. realkustom51

realkustom51

As my Dad approaches 80 years old, he is letting someone have all his old parts. Man I remember going thru Chevrolet Dealerships rounding this stuff up in the 70's. Thought it may interest someone out there to see his old shed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Wow! Looks like he kept things neatly organized, and I bet someone will be tickled to get those parts! So why aren't you keeping this stuff?

3. dang, wish you were in socal, there is a treasure trove in that shed.

4. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

Hope he is getting a good nickle for all that nickle. Love the sign........

Attached Files:

5. its a nice collection of vintage parts ....

6. 5559

from tn

7. robertsregal

robertsregal

Wow, looks like a mother load of parts!

8. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Or a mother LODE! :)

9. customcory

customcory

You should have seen the pile in the seventies when we first started buying out old Chevy dealers. First show with it all was at the Metrolina fairgrounds, then on to the first Carlisle meet, wehere he kept going every year up until a few years ago, spring and fall. I worked at a Chevy dealer at the time in the parts dept. Before computers, we had a list of dealers we could call if we had to find a dicontinued part. I took the list home. my dad sent letters to all these dealers, maybe 50 of them. Then they started writing and calling saying yes, we will sell you all the old stock we have stored taking up space. I can'ty tell you how many treasures have passed thru our hands. The stuff we bought lasted for more than 40 years of buying and selling. I remember pulling NOS gold 57 Chevy grilles out of the box to see if they were gold or silver, getting black with dirt after cleaning out a dealership attic. I could go on. But you can't do it forever, which my dad did. I know he hates it, it was everything to him, the flea markets and the people. Some of you on here know him or bought parts. Now maybe he can go walk around at a show , instead of standing behind a vendor table!

10. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A lucky someone, very cool.

11. I hope he's being paid nicely. Lots of tri 5 stuff showing there.

12. realkustom51

realkustom51

Well, :( , most everything is gone, the trailer is leaving. There are still a bunch of one piece bumpers that I cant believe were left behind. Maybe I get to finally own a California Bumper. Was told for decades to keep my hands off the one piece bumpers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Stack of SS hubcaps should sell! .... why dont you unwrap and repost .... I'd be beholden.LOL

EDIT: Got any 59 bumper guards in the leftovers? .... Those go for mega bucks.

14. castirondude

castirondude

Amen! This is where ebay and the HAMB classifieds etc are so great, both for buyers and sellers. Also I think shipping prices have come down a lot in recent years due to the volume of stuff being shipped.

15. castirondude

castirondude

Where is it going.. don't tell me it's going to scrap...?!
    If it were me I'd rather give it away for free to someone who's going to put it to good use.

16. Model T1

Model T1

I don't have near that much junk but I can see the time coming soon when I or my kids are gonna have to sell things.
    It's funny in a strange way. I collected and dreamed. Now we can't move into a smaller place because of all the crap we have. Like my cars, mostly unfinished, real collectors want me to practically give them away so they can make a profit. The average car guys want them for next to nothing to finish. And they all bitch about how much more parts will cost to make them driveable.
    As in the past, I'm letting them slowly rust and rot. At least I can still dream of what I'm gonna do someday----- when someday will never come. :(
    Sadly I don't have a barn so that the next guy can yell out "barn find," and they are covered with primer or paint so the patina guys are also screwed.
    Garage kept cars and parts are so boring. :rolleyes:

NO!

17. CustomCory : I'm gonna miss seeing your Dad at Metrolina at his usual spot. I understand completely when it's time to let someone else have all the stuff you've collected ..I met John after your post about the old Shuffletown strip . Ever since that, I would make it a point to look him up at Metrolina and chat with him.. I wish him the best in whatever he does from now on.. Hope all is well with you also.
    Stan

18. customcory

customcory

Thanks Stan, he liked talking to you. :D He is going to be fine, he still has his 50 Chevy sport coupe he goes to cruise ins with and the VCCA meets with. The guy didn't take any bumper cores and brackets, they are still here, they are all in one of the pics. Really, the stuff leftover wasn't that good of stuff, but he did have a lot of plated Chevy bumpers that went. I sold a lot of good stuff on ebay a few years back, the stuff that wouldn't sell at the markets. Its a big load of his mind, he was getting to old to do it anymore, and we have been to busy to help him , my son helped him at the end. Lots of memories.

19. customcory

customcory

No, it will be at the flea markets for sale by someone else.

20. customcory

customcory

Use to have a lot of those bumper guards, but I sold most of them on ebay. When we first started selling parts, nobody wanted 58, 59 , 60 , 61 parts if you can believe it. It was all about 55-57 and earlier stuff.

21. convx4

convx4

I told my wife that if something happens to me, I want it all crushed even the cars. She asked if she should let "my friends take what they want" before all is crushed. I said hell no! I dont want my friends f*#k'n me, I don't want them f'n you. Its only cars and parts.

22. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I told my family to have a garage sale. "its all buck,,,,but,,,ya gotta take all of it".
    I keep coming home, two bundles of 1"thick rebar in 6' length". Heavy stuff, allways heavy stuff, in twos..
    Always two

23. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

gotta ask, did the overdrive trannys sell????

24. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

that seems pretty strange.

25. realkustom51

realkustom51

They are still here. The guy didn't want them.

26. customcory

customcory

They took the overdrives, they are in the back of the trailer , see the pics.:D

27. customcory

customcory

From when he was in carlisle Penn. , always the same spot.

422495_399497780075885_1455180853_n.jpg

28. I can sympathize with your Dad getting rid of stuff. I am downsizing just because I am tired of dealing with people. You find the stuff, buy it, pay to haul it home, store it for years and people don't want to pay a fair price or pay the shipping charges.

29. Your dad always had nice stuff, and I always liked looking at his table at Charlotte. All the vendor spaces have gotten so high over the years that you bout have to sell everything you bring to break even. The main thing was that he had fun doing it and sometimes that's better than the money. You always meet great people. Wish him the best.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

30. Sqeaky Hinge

Sqeaky Hinge

How much you want for that sign? , or is it already gone?