Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1951 Mercury chopped and styled by Miles Masa

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pro Stock John, Sep 23, 2013.

1. fleet-master

fleet-master

Rikster's fotki site has an article on Dick Dean chopping a '51 Merc which was in Street Rodder June 1989. Great article.

2. I've followed your (re)build of your '51 PSJ and I like where you are taking it! I agree with others that your roofline is not as "forced" as this one and has a more natural flow to the rear window. As far as not looking as long - I think that side trim goes a long way in visually lengthening a car..

[​IMG]

-Dave

3. I like seeing this pic, I love these cars. I am going to reach out to a few other Chicago Merc guys and see if I can get everyone together for some group Barris style pictures. That would be cool. I know of about 4 other cars.

4. ph8ed4life

ph8ed4life
    from AZ

This would be awesome to see!! A chopped merc has topped my list of 'must build' cars :)

5. GreaserGav

GreaserGav

John I think your rear glass is bang on! I don't think '51 glass should lean in very much unless you modify it, it cuts into the body line and spoils the flow of the bottom of windows.

6. There is a lot of Chopped Mercs out there. Very few become a work of art. I think that's what we all are looking for. That word Art changes for all of us as in what we like or don't. Just change for the sake of change seldom looks right. Also having several builders involved in 1 project seldom works out. This one seems to have had both. However He's driving his and happy while mine is still in pieces. I'd be patting him on the back also were I there.
    The Wizzard

7. jfrolka

jfrolka

John, your chop looks great period, and way better than this other merc. You just need to get a original interior back in yours. Any plans for wheel caps?

8. Yeah something more pre 55 at some point.

9. It is 12".

10. 00 MACK

00 MACK

This car was featured an a small hand full of magazines in 83 or 84. In one, it was called "The Windy City Warrior" Peter Pan has pics of it also as I remember! I' surprised more people don't remember this car. Miles Mesa chopped mercs in the dark ages of customs and like Prostock John said, his builds were featured in the famous merc issue of Street Rodder in 77 which lit the world on fire .

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  11. I tried searching on that Anthony couldn't find anything. I'd buy the magazine if we could narrow down the mag.

Bob thanks for measuring, measured my front opening, 12 inches. For some reason I've always thought your car was more chopped than mine, optical illusion. What is the height of stock glass then? :)

12. I'd say 11". But i'm guessing.

13. What do you mean 11"

The stock opening must be like 16 then right?

14. I measured from lip tp lip,so the glass would be 1/4" shorter at the top and bottom. So,11 1/2" maybe....
    Have to ask Matt what the stock opening is.

15. I measured the glass, if I go lip to lip it would be 1/2 inch or less.... I'll do that when I get home. Folks ask me how much the car is chopped and I don't know what stock is so I usually guess at 4 inches but I'd like to know for sure.

16. desotot

desotot

when I measure a chop I consider how much lower the front of thedoor glass is from stock and how much lower the 1/4 window or rear door glass is from stock cause there are so many different ways to beat down a roof.
    Most all mercs make me go weak kneed so I have to say I like both of them but I prefer prostock Johns.

17. showrod

showrod

John, just found this post. last time I saw this car was over 30 years ago. I was just a kid. It was driving by midway airport Like it was no big deal. and my jaw hit the curb!
    I new nothing about Miles at the time.
    his son has a memorial page on FB with pictures and magazine articles.
    If you ever get the Chicago mercs together count me in.
    anyone interested in a Merc coral at Chicago world of wheels?
    glad to see this one is still around.

18. Thanks desotot but like you said they are all great. I greatly enjoyed seeing an older build like this just pull into the parking lot.

Showrod, I think you have a white one though I've never seen it in person. I will work on a lunch deal next year. WOW is too much work for me my car is not ready no interior.