Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I just saw the (1931 Indy winner) Bowes Seal Fast Special sell at the Mecum Auction for

TWO MEELION DOLLARS!

2. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Not surprisingly, Dickson had a different take on the subject.

Attached Files:

3. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

There, now you have the rest of the story. In my opinion Larry Dickson was one of the best if not the best Sprint Car Driver in the time frame he raced. He was good on both dirt and pavement and very seldom crashed. Denny Z.

4. CTtoPA

CTtoPA

Larry's account seems to make sense. In August of that year his Smith's Speed Shop car had issues and he ended up jumping in Rutherford's ride(the Stapp car) and winning. He went back to the Smith car briefly but finished out the year in the #27. Anybody know where either car is?

5. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

I think the other Smith (Don) has the Smith #4 in his collection.

Attached Files:

6. pavementends

pavementends
    from Utah

Rootie always has the best Avatars...always! Yikes!

7. Steve Bonesteel

Steve Bonesteel
    from Clovis, Ca

The Grant King "Pink Lady" is for sale on E-bay. Look under Pink Lady supermodified, the listing number is 151149327497. I am glad to answer any questions.

Attached Files:

8. I think Jungle Park opened in 1926 and closed when an errant midget went into the crowd killing a spectator and I think this was in 1960. As stated before the AAA ran very few events there but future Indianapolis 500 winners Mauri Rose and Wilbur Shaw won events under the AAA banner. The CSRA ran most of the 'big car' events and at least one 'new model' stock car race was ran in 1940. The winner of that stock car race was Bill (Big Bill) France of Daytona Beach, Florida and he drove a 'new' 1939 Ford coupe owned by Raymond Parks of Atlanta, Georgia. That information came from one of the racing papers that Frank Funk had printed for all of his tracks at one time that included Winchester, Dayton, FT. Wayne as well as Jungle Park.

9. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Cool! Steve has always been real good to me.

10. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

Well, the, Edmunds, CBM 7 is now a roller. Next steps, headers, powder coating, and prep for paint. May be awhile as sunny Florida always looks better than the Midwest in the winter.

For Jim Graybeal: My grandson Jack (BZNeil's son), just turned two and I have come to the conclusion that I am building Jack's midget.

Thanks to all of you on this thread that have helped with my project.

Carroll Hamilton D.B.A. Blacki-Suede

''Life's tough, pilgrim, and it's even tougher if you're stupid.''-- John Wayne

Attached Files:

11. vintageracer37

vintageracer37

I wish I was your grandson :) Nice work Carroll! I have a set of plans for the single tube Edmunds, some body parts and some running gear and at some point I want to build one. I think I read on the Edmunds Facebook site that he only built 7 of the single tube (non space frame) midgets. Seems like a low number to me. Anyway, looks good Blackie!

Sean

12. DWX9929

DWX9929

Looking good, Carroll! Someday I hope to have a race car in my family room!

13. Mitch G

Mitch G

Carroll, that is fabulous! nice job saving a piece of racing history!

14. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

In talking with Don Edmunds, he built a number of single tube midgets even after he went to the space frame design. The "flex" in the frame was advantageous on some tracks. The CBM-7 is a half bar, cross bar, rear suspension and Don said he only built a few of them, maybe 10.

15. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

After vintage events in Milwaukee, Rockingham, Winchester, Eldora, Terre Haute, Kokomo, Lawrenceburg and Jungle Park I got The Boyle Valve Spl home to Indio just in time for the Historic Champ/Indycar Assn Event at Auto Club Speedway.
    This has been a Coast To Coast Season thanks to West Coast vintage mechanic Kenny Surabian and the Mid West Team of Mac Miller, Randall Cook and The Doc.
    It was a privilege to run the car at your events and look forward to doing so again
    Here's links to some photos of last week's event at Auto Club.
    Event photos and links to them on the way:
    Here's one donated by Ted Lighthizer:
    Historic Champ/Indycar Assn portion of the MAVTV 500 at Auto Club Speedway
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/19828644@N02/sets/72157636820059916/with/10415377274/
    2 Parade laps then turn em loose-
    The wind was gusting pretty good halfway down the back stretch and coming out of 4 when the green fell Fearless Bud Taylor (whose Sheraton Thompson Spl was sidelined with fuel pickup problems) who was now in Tom Malloy's Novi slammed it to the floor and split the two leading 1911 National and Packard cars brought by Brian Blain. Doug Magnon from Riverside Int'l Museum shot by in the Eagle at 150 or so and just as I was being moved around by a gust I got sprayed by an exploding water fixture from The Packard ahead of me-another great day at the track, it's good to be alive.
    [​IMG]
    Link to HCICA Photographer Jerry Imboden's photography site - Kart Art
    http://www.printroom.com/ViewGallery.asp?userid=imbodenphoto&gallery_id=3426778
    Who took this photo at the moment of going green:
    [​IMG]
    Here's the link to my personal flickr event album, it includes photos contributed by Jim Roach, Ted Lighthizer, Jerry Imboden and most are from Laurence Deutsch, WRA Photographer.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/91981316@N06/sets/72157636798196693/
    Laurence Deutsch Photo
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  16. easter

easter

I love old Trevis sprint cars and Edmunds "T" body supermodifieds, but is there anything more perfect than an old Watson roadster? The lines say "beautiful and fast".

[​IMG]

Photo from: ajwatsonroadster.com

17. Dick L

Dick L

The roadsters and the older champ dirt cars. They don't get any nicer than that. I'd give my front seat in hell to own either one.

18. racer5c

racer5c

19. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Second from left is the chief mech. on this car. He was the legendary Herb Porter. Being an engine guy, there is probably a dozen or so engine guys I would like to have a chat with and he is near the top of the list.

20. racer5c

racer5c

also known as "Herbie Horsepower"

21. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Is Herb Porter still with us?

22. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

I need a way to get the hot air out of the engine bay of my midget. Already painted and lettered so louvers are out of the question. I bought so bolt on boat air vents, but I am just not completely sold on the looks of them on the car.

I noticed all the Watson roadsters have a cut out at the back of both engine side covers at the motor plate. I always assumed this was for aerodynamics to let the air out that was building up against the motor plate, but I am thinking this might be a way to let hot air out without looking to out of place.

This sound like a good idea? I think I can cut the side panels without upsetting the paint, I can always pinstripe along the cut edge to clean it up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Rootsgroup

Rootsgroup
    from Indiana

You might just space out the trailing edge of those side panels as a trial and see what happens. Maybe you would leave them spaced out or it will give you more of and idea.

Carl

24. easter

easter

With today's technology and safety innovations, I wonder what a front engine Indy car would look like. Would it be safer?

25. Al Consoli

Al Consoli

It look like that Silver Crown pavement car that USAC tried a few years ago...............UGLY !!!

26. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

It's ALL about aero nowdays, probably wouldn't look that much different than they do now except the engine would be in a different place.

27. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

BZNEIL, if you look at Foyt's car it also has holes in the side panel.

You could cut a hole in the under tray too.

28. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

IIRC, he was killed in a car wreck 10+ yrs. ago.

29. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

He died as a result of injuries in a car crash, june 1999.

30. racer5c

racer5c

no he's not