Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects buying a car from distance. what would you do?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by davidh73750, Oct 25, 2013.

1. davidh73750

davidh73750

Okay I found a F1 little truck I want we made a deal over the phone. He is 500 miles away. I cant get free for 2 wks. He won't let me send him $500 to hold it pay rest when I get there. He wants it all when I get there or cashier's check before..
    I sell stuff from a distance all the time. I either give them the benefit of the doubt they'll show when they say(one time) or I take a small deposit, then we make a time frame and just say let me know if something isn't working out. I'd resell and give them their money back if it falls through. Shoot I've had guys put a deposit and then a local come by and say I have all the money but I feel once a deal is made its made. I don't back out even if offered more (it has happened).

How do you guys deal with this. Am I not the normal one?
    Before one of you spout off " run and go get it " I have young boys to arrange time with when I was before kids no problem. I feel like this guy would sell it 5 minutes before I got there. So I'm really leaning on walking away

2. Any chance he could bring it to you for a fee?

3. davidh73750

davidh73750

we tried calling a transport they said 500 mi or less costs about the same anything over 500 you save money using transport. I mentioned about meeting halfway and I pay his gas and he didn't respond.

4. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

His car, his rules. Go get it now, or hope that it's still available when you are able to go. The deal ain't done til the paper exchanges hands. Too many flakes out there to expect anyone to trust anyone else. Not saying YOU are a flake, but I understand the seller's POV. I've had many cars "sold" only to learn that the "buyer" was a flake.

5. Well, that stinks. I dont know what else unless you get fortunate to find someone for a reasonable fee to go get it for you.

6. If the guy can't work with you I say let him keep it,,it's not the only F1 out there. HRP

7. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

I would just wait the two weeks and go from there.

8. oldcarguygazok

oldcarguygazok
    from AUSTRALIA.

He's probably been messed around in the past,where 2 weeks turns to 2 months or the buyer pulls out and want's his deposit back,then it becomes a shit fight,lets hope after 2 weeks it's still there,good luck,Gaz!

9. 2racer

2racer

I can see his point, he want's to sell it, not wait 2 weeks with a sale pending....

10. hotrod0317

hotrod0317

Not knowing the price on it I dont know how much of a deposit would be on the vehicle. What I usually like to do in a situation like this is to ask if I give 1/4 of what the negoiated price is and say if I am not there within a month that the seller gets to keep that money as a fee for his troubles. It means allot to me if someone is willing to risk losing the money to just hold the vehicle in question but I will not hold a 5,000 dollar car for 100 but I would hold it for 1,250 and I would not hold a car for someone that I was asking 1,000 for for only 100 either. What you might say is I will give you x ammount (1/4 of what he is asking) to hold the truck for x ammount of time (2 weeks) If I dont come you get to keep the money I sent to hold it but if you are grossly misrepresenting the vehicle when I get there we either renegoiate a price or I take my money but I will still leave 100 dollars per week for you to hold it. The reason I do it that way is so the seller knows he will get money no matter what happens.

11. cayager

cayager

i know it sucks when you really want something, but like stated his car his rules. if someone comes by tommorrow it will be gone and done with. if i was that desperate i would pack a lunch and start driving. it always scares me to drive that far and find out it left 4 hours ago. i once sent a check to a guy for a set of rims and tires. he then sold them to someone else and sent my money back. i was pissed but there is nothing i could really do.

12. Let him sell it to some one else.

When you send a deposit on a car,truck or a lawnmower,,,a deposit is non-refundable,,these clowns that want their money back if there mommy tells them they can't buy the vehicle they made the deposit on in my book are SOL. :mad:

I believe the OP is a serious buyer and will back up what he says! HRP

13. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

Ask here if there is anyone in his area who would go look at it for you

14. davidh73750

davidh73750

New Mexico? Alberqurque it was 1/3 down I offered

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

as a seller I may take your $500.00 as a non refundable deposit good for 2 weeks. no excuses, no refunds.

as a buyer I always bring cash, pay in full and leave with the car and everything that goes with it. I don't think I would even call on a car 500 miles away.

16. People sell a car because of several reaons..Need the cash, need the space, found another car, lost storage, moving, etc.
    Once they've made up their mind to sell, they want the entire cash amount in hand sooner, rather than later.
    I agree with the others, his car his rules..and I can't say I blame him.
    More often than not, a persons word, doesn't hold the significance it once did.

17. He wants instant cash, you can't get there, it ain't meant to be?

18. 2racer

2racer

the saying "money talks and bullshit walks" didn"t come out of nowhere....

19. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Is there something the seller is trying to hide?? I've changed from being eternally optimistic.

20. jesse1980

jesse1980

X 2 on this post!

21. casper50

casper50
    from alaska

I asked a Hamber who was close and he went looked at it gave him my cashiers check and picked it up for me.

22. davidh73750

davidh73750

well I had a buddy call and act like he was interested in it. Owner Said still for sale but wasn't budging on asking price. Looks like he backed out of the deal we made which was a little less than the asking price hence the reason he won't respond to me now.

A while back a friend of mine with a car lot said if he has a car/truck and offer is made close to what he wants he does not hold out for an extra couple hundred bucks its not worth it. Said often he might wait a while for next one.

23. fortynut

fortynut

No offense intended but when I was growing up in the last century we called buying anything without inspecting it as 'buyin' a pig in a poke'. You can look up where that expression came from. Often it was not a pig. Before money passes hands, go look at whatever dream you've being told you're buying. Often it's more like Cinderella's Carriage in the before stage than the magnificent apparatus with drivers and doormen and coachmen to attend her, that the Fairy Princess creates for her to go to the ball. Many a sad soul has 'been took'; and even those who were disappointed came there by blind trust. As Ronald Reagen said, Trust and Verify before you put hard earned cash into another persons' hands; no matter what has been said. If a picture is worth a thousand words, then eyeballing something is worth a book. Nuff said.

24. Gman0046

Gman0046

If the deal smells like Cologne, leave it alone.

25. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

The rule that saves everybody's ass: First one to show with ALL the money, wins.

He must be following that rule.

26. F1's are plentiful. Wait on a better deal.

27. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

David, I would never give money to someone i dont know. Theres plenty of F1s out there, my neighbor just sold a nice project for 500$. He got it free of craigslist. Hell the one you want imight still be there by the time you can make the trip..

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

28. ^^^^^....with Racer29 and LoneStarMopar....there are more out there....and getting a look at what's being sold is always a good deal....

P.S - and sorry I've been slow to help - trying to make PNP with the wagon....

29. belair

belair

I would not.

30. ol55

ol55
    from Virginia

I really had a mommy call me and chew me out for letting her son put a deposit on a car. Had a person there with the cash in hand when I let him put a deposit on it because he was first. Made the refund, sold the car for less. Now, First one with the cash wins, no exceptions!

If it is there in two weeks the price may be less...