Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help my design rim that will work like a roller bearing to move frozen drum cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by beaulieu, Oct 24, 2013.

1. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Towing hubs only bolt to rear axles, not to the fronts, so that is out. Using tow dollies, like wreckers use, are too wide for trailer, so that's out too. Some sort of a "skid" an entire car can be loaded onto, and winched up onto the trailer, but when you're by yourself, that's out. So, a good sized winch, and just pull the car onto the trailer is it. If these cars look anything like the Porche in your avitar, your really not going to damage them much. It will need to be a tilt trailer, not one with ramps. OR, flatbed tows can be done as cheap as $60.00 where I live; how many tows would it take to add up to the price of a trailer, winch, tow vehicle, and a few tools to go along with the job? It's a matter of economics, and unless you do a LOT of this, it's really not worth the outlay. JMO. Butch/56sedandelivery.

2. beaulieu

beaulieu
    from So Cal

a normal towing hub is not going to work as there is an axle nut in the way , plus the wheel arch ,
    Flat bed tows are not cheap around here , and often the cars are 100s of miles away
    plus I already have a flat trailer and a winch ,

whatever I make will get used more than one time, it adds to the pile of chains, rachet straps , tow truck hooks and other things I have picked up over the years,

But I will look for a couple of snowboards at yard sales and figure out a way to strap them to the tire/rim too,

3. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

How was that hubless wheel done on that bike jesse james did?

4. cjrolke

cjrolke

what about the tow truck dolly idea except make it to a frame that you could jack up the car and set the cars frame on to and have everything off the ground a little more

just a thought

5. How about a big sheet of 1/2" thick UHMW? Jack up the car enough to slip it underneath, then use it like a toboggan. Would keep suspension parts from gouging into the trailer when winching.

6. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

o.k. i am getting ready to go pickup a car in the woods. it will need to be pulled about a 1/4 mile to get out. a few trees will need to be cut. but no way of getting trailer close. the car is missing one axle on rear. both front wheels froze stuck. and i have to pull it out backwards. any ideas??????
    sorry to hijack thread and i will post pics when i do this.

7. JEM

JEM

I can see the merit in the OP's idea, but I can also think of some cheap 3-caster garage follies and a few 4x8s of plywood, or making some spacers to allow bolting tow hubs on, etc.

8. beaulieu

beaulieu
    from So Cal

No problem with the HiJack , its nice to have a lot of ideas to pick thru,

I assume you can get a truck back there , or are you dragging back a winch and a 12v battery and chain the winch to a tree ?

Can you get an axle and tire on the car so that end rolls ?

I think the idea about skids, skis , snowboards might work for the front wheels.

can you use a tow dolly ? Or make a take apart one with a boat trailer axle (craigslist) and a trailer hitch. Cut the axle in half , stuff the axle into each side of the trailer hitch , and cut the tongue off the boat trailer and weld to a removable trailer ball holder.......,

Sounds like a tough one , but not impossible.....

OHHHH has anyone used old tire chains to strap the rim to a skid , or a trailer or ?????

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  9. stimpy

stimpy

and the junkyards are loaded with them for cheap .

for cars/trucks with stuck axles or brakes . we use a steel skate , its basically a piece of 6x12 x1/4 steel plate thats bent on the front and has strap hooks welded to it , the strap hooks are to secure it to the tire and then you winch the vehicle in question on the trailer . makes a load of noise , on concrete/asphalt we throw sand down to allow it some sliding friction removal , pulled a semi on that had the back axles were locked and couldn't pull them out , on to a drop deck .we used the towing tractor to pull it up on the trailer

10. stimpy

stimpy

uses sheets of 3/4 inch plywood under both ends . try to bend the pulling side up so it won't catch or put 2x4 skis under the front edges . the surface area should help make it easy to slide . cut the plywood to width to make it easier to get in around the trees and drill holes for rope to secure it to the car frame so it will pull with the car

11. budd

budd

i'm thinking you start with a round plate that has the right bolt pattern for the stuck hub, maybe three different patterns on the same plate, kinda like an adapter plate, to this you weld a piece of 6" pipe long enough to clear any hub that might be sticking out, on the outer edge of the pipe you weld another round plate with holes so you can install the wheel nuts onto the stuck hub, in the center of the outer plate you weld a spindle that excepts say a trailer hub, now the wheel would need to have a large offset like a one ton front wheel, a one ton wheel would be to large but you see what i mean by large offset to get the wheel back under the cars wheel well.

heres a .dwg of my idea

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  12. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

the car is deep in the woods. the owner is going to bring small tractor to get it out. i am taking spare hubs for the front ,hopefully get the old hubs off. the back i am taking a xle for the missing one and a spare wheel. i will probably bust the the stuck back brake and put a good wheel on. he doesn't want to cut anymore trees than nessary. going to be a full day adventure.
    just hoping someone had better ideas. i hate cars with stuck brakes.
    may think about making a axle out of my 2 good hubs and lifting car high enough to slide under like a tow dolly.

13. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

i guess worse case would be pull rearend and put a good one under it. car is sitting on frame. wheels are sunk in the dirt. car has been sitting since 1969.

14. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Get a set of these.

[​IMG]

Remove the casters.
    and mount a pair of these underneath each end

[​IMG]

15. Chevy55

Chevy55
    from Nebraska

Take your torch and some water with you and remove the wheel and just cut a circle just outside the center hub through the brake drum. Works every time and when you see how bad the drum was you will realize you didnt hurt anything any way.

16. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

hate to admit it but i have just busted the brake drum and put wheels on.

17. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

If the tractor has a lifting drawbar, you can pick up the rear of the car. Even if it doesn't, you can probably connect higher on the tractor so it will lift as it pulls. Another thing you could do is get a couple of 2 x 10 planks a few feet longer than the wheel base and use some 2 x 4 cleats at the tires and a piece of 2 x 10 to bolt across the two skids with some carriage bolts. Bevel cut the edges so they don't dig in so badly.

If you do this type of recovery often, you could build the same type of sled with 2 x 8 channel iron. Cut notches so you can bend the tips up and weld them. Weld a plate to the top of each, drill some holes and make a crossbar with a series of holes to adjust it for different widths.

18. beaulieu

beaulieu
    from So Cal

more great ideas.....keep them coming.....

for moving on dirt how about using a set of steel drive up ramps turned upside down and strap the wheel to the inside.......

19. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

that's a good idea. never thought of that.

20. ...throw an old hood under the rearend upside down and slide the car on that, mite have to wire the hood to the frame to keep it in place.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  21. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

These folks make bearings up to 120 inches outside diameter. You could order a couple in the diameter you decide is best and make an interchangeable center for different bolt patterns and mount a hard rubber tire oround the outside, like a planter wheel (if you are familiar with farm equipment you know what I'm talking about).
    Scheerer Bearing Corporation

I've done this also.

22. budd

budd

unless the guys tractor doesn't have the power to pull the skin off of rice pudding it should drag a car with four stuck wheels anyway.

23. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

he doesn't want to tear up his land. i don't want to tear up the car. if that didn't matter i would have had it home already. some people still care about things.

24. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

You say he doesn't want to cut any more trees than necessary. If it's necessary to cut 2, put them under the car for skids and slide it out to your trailer. I have a flatbottom (some call them stoneboats) that's just a big flat sheet of metal we drag boulders off the field with... I've dragged cars for miles on that thing.... starting to wear a little thin in the middle though.

25. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  26. manyolcars

manyolcars

Travois! Use 4X4s or maybe 4X6s slid length wise under the car and lift/pull on one end

(travois a transport device, formerly used by the Plains Indians, consisting of two poles joined to form an A frame)

27. manyolcars

manyolcars

Except for cost, this is the best idea for the OP

28. Done this many times. Im not into using wore out garbage parts on what gets my car to STOP anyway. :cool:

29. modeleh

modeleh

That's pretty much what Stimpy already told you at the bottom of his post #39.
    Steel skates or short skis you can strap the wheels to. With a tow point in the tip of each ski it would work quite well.

30. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

been awhile here is what i am dealing with . missing axle on driver side rear. locked in gear. rear brake stuck on pass. side. lucky i got the front two wheels to move . been sitting since 1966 in the dirt. 1/8 mile in the brush, small path that has a curve. any ideas? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]