Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My Willys Gas Coupe build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by langy, Mar 20, 2011.

1. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Hey Mark you know it makes sense mate.

2. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Dave, might just be a bit too much for the lightweight willys but we will see, cheers mate

3. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Had planned to put motor in the car today but rain scuppered my plans :(, While waiting for it to stop I sorted out some covers to hide the black oxide head stud nuts, the black always end up going rusty and then it looks horrible, my solution was to get some 5/8" stainless dome nuts and drill them out to 7/8" which is the OD of a 3/4" nut, once bored out I gave them a polish, they will be secured with a dab of polyurethane adhesive sealant which will hold them fine but still make them removable. Finish's them off nicely :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While I was working on the nut covers the postie delivered my new 59" blower belt I've been waiting for this so tried it on the motor, it seemed a bit tight so checked its length, its 57" damn !!! I can't get another till tuesday at the earliest so thats scuppered getting it to the drags Really pissed off now as i've put in all the hours god sent to get it there !!!

[​IMG]

At this point I just pushed the engine back in the garage and walked back to workshop pretty dejected to be honest.
    However I cheered myself up by polishing my Mr Gasket blower scoop, while I was there I decided it needed something between the fins so laid down some gold flake over a black epoxy base.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh well, theres always next year to look forward too !!!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  4. junkyardgenius

junkyardgenius
    from Kernow

Steve, we should never have got a woman involved in that blower belt mate.I will thrash her with it when I get it back.

5. I know very little on blower drives but shouldn't the idler/tensioner be on the right (slack) side?

6. junkyardgenius

junkyardgenius
    from Kernow

Most people seem to run them that way but we have run them on either side here over the years because of clearance issues, especially when running blowers on some odd ball four cylinder engines, my son has 30000 plus miles on a blown four pot with the idler/tensioner running on the."wrong" side , no problems so far.

7. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Hahaha thanks for all your help Gary your a star.

8. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

No, they have to run them on the wrong side in England, it matches the steering wheel being on the wrong side too. :D:D

Don

9. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

10. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

The cobbled roads are a bitch too !!!

11. B Bay Barn

B Bay Barn

Haha, I rode a cobbled bitch once too! :)

12. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Was gonna leave my Art Carr manual TH400 in black but it looked shite against the motor so out with the die grinder and wire brushes and its ready for paint

[​IMG]

Didn't take long to splash a bit of colour on it, much happier with it now

[​IMG]

13. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

That looks great, Steve. Any roadkill you run over will really appreciate how much better that trans looks. :D

Don

14. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Yeah, a black trans would really stand out next to all the flake and polished parts! Much nicer now!

15. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Hahaha, See you in a few days dad

rkkoehler likes this.
  16. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Yes Vall it didnt take long to do so was definitely worth the time spent, it just didn't look right at all in black.

17. Steve, you are way over the top, dude! Lookin' great!

18. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Its an illness Tom :D

19. ScooterCO

ScooterCO
    from Parker, CO

I am thinking it is time to put it all together and see it go! Did you get the belt idler worked out?

20. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Steve won't be doing any work on the Willys for a bit, he and Sue are in the States. Last time I saw him was last night when he and Sue were jitterbugging at a nightspot we all went to. :D (Them Brits sure know how to party, but they do talk funny ! :eek:)

Don

21. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

im wondering if Steve will make CA for the hot rod reunion??

22. Skimmer

Skimmer

We talk the Queens English ......:D..:D..:D..:D

23. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Steve, Hope that you and your wife have a great visit to the States.

Dave

24. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Guys as Don said we are currently in Texas at a rodeo, then we are off to Austin to meet some hambers then pop into to see Bass on the way back.

Speak soon
    Steve

25. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Langy, Hope you and your wife are having a great time on your trip. Looking forward to when you fire up your Willys some time soon.

Dave

26. Hey, Steve - sounds like you guys are having a ball! Have a great time ....

27. farmer12

farmer12

Sounds like you're having a great time Steve. No reason to come back for the weather........it's been horrible!

28. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Well its took long enough but the motor is finally in place in the car, what with holidays and rainy days etc etc it seems to have taken an age to get it in place, its a 2 man job as its a painted and detailed motor and on the nice days there was never anybody around to help.
    Anyway step forward my old mucker Brian Lucas who helped out big time today, a couple of hours and we had the sucker in

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Everything went well except for one valve cover needs slight modification due to being too close to the firewall, they have never been tried on the motor in the car but its an easy fix

We also reconfigured the blower idler for more belt wrap and the idler is now on the left.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. n847

n847

Wow...you never fail me! Thats so perfect!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

30. absolutely beautiful!!!