Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage Go-Karts

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by VonMoldy, Mar 17, 2008.

1. It's a MKII Challenger . I think the single rail came first , but I am not positive about it .

2. alaska2stroke

alaska2stroke

I thought about going duels. I should have kept the Lancer.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  3. alaska2stroke

alaska2stroke

None of them were to hot when I got them. The Komet 88 Caretta enduro was pure junk, sold the wheels and pedals then thru in the chassis.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  4. alaska2stroke

alaska2stroke

I did a couple of other Caretta's too. Had to have brake and sprocket hubs made in Spokane on the first VI-E.

By the time we shortened the porch on the enduro and took off all the bracing, it was hammered. I still spent more for the steering hoop to be replaced. Wasted hundreds.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  5. Hellfish

Hellfish

I have a Simplex Mk II Challenger. I might be able to carry it under one arm, but it would be a struggle and I certainly wouldn't look as relaxed as that guy!

6. fourtogo

fourtogo
    from long beach

Man!! I wanted one of these bad. But my Paper Route would not swing it. A Lancer would have been awesome also. Used to ride my Bicycle up to Myer's speed shop in Bellflower Ca.

7. blackrat40

blackrat40
    Member Emeritus

When I was in the 2nd grade (1954) a rich kid I knew had a way cool little car with
    a rear engine, maybe a B/S, and appeared to be factory built. This pre-dated gokarts.
    It was wide enough for 2 2nd graders to sit side-by-side in it. It was all metal with a
    front hood that our legs went under. It was all red and had fake decal instruments.
    I have never seen another one in 60 years.
    Anyone have any idea what it might have been?

8. alaska2stroke

alaska2stroke

After buying a Meyers Lancer in Portland I decided to sell it before it was shipped to Alaska. It was too new. Another one I wish I would have kept and restored.

Attached Files:

9. rfraze

rfraze

2stroke, Where did you find that Cates? Great job on the resto!! How does it handle? I think it does need another engine. You know we used to run those direct drive?

10. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

Would this be it? It dates from 1953-54.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

11. 46Ford

46Ford

I had a Simplex with the same frame and a single Briggs engine when I was about 9. Didn't race it, but put untold miles on it in the yard. Wound up wearing a short oval track in the dirt. Good memories.

Mike

12. rfraze

rfraze

Mike, Where were you when you had this Simplex and your own dirt track? I got hooked on karts by friends who let me ride theirs. One had a track in his yard in Irving, TX. The other was Mike Mariani and we rode his on the street. I passed this on after I got and built (Dad) a Bird Engineering kit with Clinton A-490. Every kid in the neighborhood rode this one in our alley. After we took it to Whizzer in Carrollton, I "needed" something better (faster and lower). I bet you let your friends ride yours.

13. 46Ford

46Ford

Sorry, that wasn't me. I live in Louisiana. Yea, pretty much everyone that came over helped me wear the dirt a little deeper.

14. alaska2stroke

alaska2stroke

It's steering butterfly wheel aggravated my need for a hip replacement. I bought it from a guy in Texas. Shipped it to Alaska then sold it back to a guy in Texas, I hear it's been enshrined in his garage. Took me awhile to corner all the Kart Labs hardware. Sold for $2,900 / wish I could buy it back for that.
    A Cates set the track record at the Rupp factory track by more than a second using stock twin Mac 20's with drag brakes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrjI3fyYDpw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O135igE5GXs

15. A Cates torsion bar kart is on my to own list .

16. Precision karting had a cates kart for sale about 5 ? ago, seems like they only wanted 300 for the roller, still kicking myself in the but for not buying it.

17. blackrat40

blackrat40
    Member Emeritus

No that's not it Roadkill but thanks for the try. The way I remember it was with a
    more or less flat hood that tapered toward the front with ~ 4" radius on the sides
    that dropped vertical to the frame.
    It was an open wheel design(no fenders) and was all metal construction.

18. hotrodfords

hotrodfords

This is my Dart Kart. Dad bought it for me new in the mid 70s when I was a youngster. I'm gonna rebuild her...

[​IMG]

19. alaska2stroke

alaska2stroke

Dart's are a great brand of vintage kart. I've been keeping an eye out for a Dart or Lancer with the center support bar for running duel's. I love the sound of duel 820's.

20. alsancle

alsancle

How does a Kart guy end up in Alaska? Is/was there a Kart scene there or are you a transplant?

Btw, that Dart looks great just the way it is. Don't paint it.

21. guffey

guffey

DSC08081.JPG

I think this is a Findley Ohio built Lancer before Rupp bought them out ??

22. guffey

guffey

DSC07785.JPG

DSC07790.JPG

A couple of Kurtis Kraft go karts. The black one is unused but the storage could have been better.

23. Terry Buffum

Terry Buffum
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Oregon

Guffey,

Your blue Lancer was made in 1960 or 1961 (at least the Go Power wheels on it were from that period). I don't remember when Rupp bought the company. The bolts holding the wheel halves together moved to the bottom of three of the holes in the wheel face, and the slope of the wheel face changed in late 1961.

24. alaska2stroke

alaska2stroke

Born in Alaska. My Dad and his friends owned a go kart track in Vancouver Washington.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWpltsXeKZ0

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  25. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

This is the kind of go karts I like. They are electric and gas powered dealer promotional cars. More for style than for speed.
    This is a very rare 1958 Plymouth Fury JR electric powered with a 6V electric motor. The gas powered version ran a Clinton motor. Wish it was mine! It belongs to a friend and fellow JR car collector

Attached Files:

26. rfraze

rfraze

Don't remember seeing one of these before. The RC-7 in ad makes me think it was in Rod & Custom.

Attached Files:

27. egiA2010

egiA2010

I purchased this over the weekend. It was represented as made in the 30's for kids to ride and used for racing after world war 2. It has since been restored. It is 28 inches high and 84 inches long. I am looking for any information that someone could give me to possibly identify who produced it.

Thanks!

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1383698484.672220.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1383698500.885667.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1383698517.091289.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1383698534.990935.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

a boner likes this.
  28. egiA2010

egiA2010

It was also represented as made in California and it is powered by a briggs and Stratton 2hp engine.

29. egiA2010

egiA2010

Bump

30. Hellfish

Hellfish

Try asking in the quarter midget thread, because I'm pretty sure that's what it is.