Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. 65COMET

65COMET

2. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

We'll POSE together. Isn't that like a dance, similar to a WALTZ ?

3. 65COMET

65COMET

How much of a head start will you ask for? ROY.

4. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

None.The fog bank from the burnt rubber should suffice to cloud your judgement on the tree when the bulb goes green!! HA!!! Roy- I KNOW you will always be faster than me!!! And- thats just fine!!

5. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

Actually I think it's called a "Mazurka"....:cool:

6. 65COMET

65COMET

Steve;A WHAT? To those that think Dale and I are serious about the constant bashing,let it be known HE STARTED IT , HA HA!!!! Maybe we will get our 15 seconds of fame at the Finals in Pomona!!!Where did I leave those wheelie bars? ROY.

7. ec164

ec164
    from MI

When and where-ever you two race may their be a video God to film and let all of us watch. Just glad to be part of this Comet world, and being a guy without any race info to share-I,ll be the poser. Gotta meet all you fine people one day!.....Al

another note: what kind of 9 sec. slips were had last wk. before problems?

8. 65COMET

65COMET

Al;not too many,three or four Fords,two Mercurys,maybe three MOPARS,before breakage took over! I never saw the Qualifying sheet but I heard my 10.33 was in the middle with a 10.61 bubble in a 16 car field.Dale ran his 10.93 on his one and only pass with a borrowed 800 CFM Holley,I feel with some tuning he will go quicker! I don't think his combo has a 10.3 in it,but what do I know,I run an old truck engine!!! ROY.

9. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

Roy,did you change the rear end gear? There's a reason for you catching all of that air...you keep this up and you'll have to put plexiglas in your floorboard to see where you're going!:cool:

10. 65COMET

65COMET

Steve;NO,everything is the same as the last two seasons!! Every once in a while it does that [this is #5],very nerve racking and usually costs me the race!!I have had a set of wheelie bars for a few years,they need to have brackets made to fit,then be cut and welded,just do not want them on the Comet,TOO STUBBORN!!! ROY.

11. SIX GUN

SIX GUN

" but what do I know,I run an old truck engine!!! ROY. "

Mine came out of a "DUMP TRUCK" (LOL)...
    Maybe back-off the CLUTCH a-little?!?!<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

12. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Agreed. I think the best that we'll get out of that old Pro-Gas motor will be a 10.60- 10.50 tops- maybe.... I'm trying to get the rear gears hashed out next week, swapping the 4.55's for a set of 5.14's. The Pomona one-shot deal may be a good back-up to Famoso..

13. dscomet

dscomet
    from michigan

this was in December Car craft. :)

Attached Files:

14. 65COMET

65COMET

dscomet;unfortunately Todd's Comet broke,big time,in the last qualifier.I have not talked to him lately but initial look showed at least one rod out through the oil pan,OUCH!!!He has/had a high dollar all aluminum 505" FE,injected on ALKY! ROY.

15. 65COMET

65COMET

Dale;the 5.14s should wake the car up.Do you still have the 800 on?If so,I hope you are jetting it up some,the plugs looked scary lean last weekend!! ROY.

16. 65COMET

65COMET

SIX GUN;I have the clutch backed off,only 6 turns of preload.In testing everything seemed good,nice little wheelie thru 1st and 2nd,decent 60' times.First three qualifying runs,the Comet spun the tires.I talked to a lot of guys that spun too during there qualifiers!I may lighten the counterweights,may let it slip a little at the hit,not sure!Dump Truck engines ROCK!!!! ROY.

17. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Getting the hook just right is tricky, especially with a clutch! The Track may of came around and got you, the one decent picture I studied looked like the tires were a touch light of air almost figured tire shake, 1/2 lb or so may have been all it took to kept front down. That's why they say find someone with experience and watch every pass......Al

18. 65COMET

65COMET

Al;no doubt on having experienced people watching a pass,if you look at the track in that picture it looks like it may have shook!We did a lot of testing and found 91/2 lbs seems to work well,checked pressure just before rolling out on every pass including first round.I had been running 10-101/2 lbs before the clutch rebuild,the slicks seemed to work better at 91/2lbs!I feel it was the track,they took a good amount of time prepping it before A/FX ran,a lot of wheelies in that round!I may have to do more tire and clutch testing before the March Meet!! ROY.

19. SIX GUN

SIX GUN

They may have super prepped the track just for that reason (BIG WHEEL STANDS) for the crowd...
    Wheelies are cooool, but to much scrubs off ET (pulls the engine down)...

What RPM do you leave at, what type of slick do you run (stiff wall, or wrinkle wall)???

20. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Leaving the old 800 on, jetting it up for sure for The World Finals.

21. 65COMET

65COMET

SIX GUN;the slicks are Phoenix 13X29.5X15,they do not carry a stiff wall tire,third set,been running their slicks for quite a while.I vary my launch,usually have it set between 5600 and 6000 RPMs depending on bite.During testing we found 5800 at 9.5lbs worked the best,that is how the car was set for first round!The Comet had a decent 60' at 1.39 [on the rear tires],usually 1.36-1.39 with the front tires! ROY.

22. ec164

ec164
    from MI

You know your car Roy, every track and different day,even time of day will need few changes, that's why we like it, always a challenge. The faster you go the more challenging with air,track,shocks,etc......Al

23. 65COMET

65COMET

Al;VERY TRUE!! Even after 40+,years I learn things!!If it was easy,everyone would race!! ROY.

24. SIX GUN

SIX GUN

I run a M/T 10.5X29.5X15 sw, and I leave at 7000 RPM, I can fell the counter-weights pushing the pedal... Is there a stick shift group out there??? We have the U.M.T.R. out here, they have a web-site www.umtrnorth.com there's a lot of good info on there forum...

Al is right, what works for your car won't work for mine (but a little info doesn't hurt)...

25. 65COMET

65COMET

SIX GUN;there is a small group trying to get a Stick Shift group together to run as a separate eliminator at certain races,nothing yet!Yes,every car and combo is different,weight,torque,horsepower,gearing,etc.,all come into play in the setup!I think I will need to go do some more testing during the 'OFF' Season! ROY

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  26. this is posted on the Famoso Raceway front page, under test n tune. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1382992690.403572.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

27. SIX GUN

SIX GUN

A small group is how it started out here, now they get 30-40 cars a show...

I have 6 month before I can even Test-n-Tune!?!?!? (Roy you lucky dog...)

28. 65COMET

65COMET

Looks like round two of qualifying at the CHRR!! A little late for a T-n-T session by then!!! SIX GUN;the tracks will shut down for a while but should reopen in January or February,of course we only have an 1/8th mile at Irwindale [11/2 hour drive] or a 1/4" mile at Bakersfield,if the mountain pass is open,[31/2 hour drive]!! ROY.

29. suchadrag

suchadrag

30. 65 comet

65 comet
    from ohio

six gun Edgewater in cincy is still running if you want to test.