Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Your general impression of the HAMB. Share your good experiences.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pensive Scribe, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Great site, lots of answers and build ideas.

Event coverage allows us to see shows across the globe that we would never be able to see otherwise.

I've met some great local Hambers in person, like 'Fast Elvis', 'Shaggin', that I knew before joining and I recently met other local hambers like 'Speedy Canuck' at the huge "Hartman Bash". Awesome people- great times!

I still go to other sites due to the limits on age and build styles with this site. Only 9 of my 47 cars fit the criteria for this forum, and I am a "car guy" not limited to a "traditional", "custom" or "hot rod". I like all years and build styles, including the three listed above as well as muscle cars, street machines, pro tour, hell even 4x4s (but, not 'Donks'!)

The one thing that really impresses me with the site is the moderators. The site has a vision and sticks to it. Very commendable! No spam, threads are moved to appropriate categories when necessary - very smoothly run site! It's why I keep coming back every day!!!

2. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

One thing I love about the HAMB is getting recommendations on who does what well. I'm narrowing a Jag rear end so I did a search on the HAMB to see who to go to. Everyone seemed to recommended Curt Hamilton so I drove 300 miles to see him down in Van Nuys. I was able to spend the day with a true craftsmen....even got to have lunch with him at a great diner called Beeps. 300 miles later I was back home again and on the HAMB....gotta do the whole thing over again in about a month to pick up the rear end.

I would have never found this guy without the HAMB.

3. I got booted off for life over a dissagreement with a Moderator. I still don't like him for that but now know not to mess with him. It was just a dissagreement and to ruin my life by kicking me off the HAMB for life was rediculous!! I got back on thanks to Ryan and friends!! I am a paying Alliance member and have been for 4 years! I am addicted!!! Thanks Ryan and my HAMB friends!!!
    If you post a question, you will immediately have a ton of answers!! Thats one of the cool things, and all the cool builds and tips from fellow hotrodders is the best!!

4. Dont mess with the rabid wippet!! hes got friends in Canada!

5. And now they are worth 2 cents more than my American friends!!:)
    I may see you up at the Langley Car cruise in a few weeks!!!

6. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

The breadth of knowledge and talent on the HAMB is amazing. I've been a motorhead since the '60s, generally knew more about working on cars than most of my friends but realized I don't know shit compared to some of the people on here. Seems like I learn something new every week and threads that just happen to pop up have helped me figure out some of the issues with my current project.
    Plus I've learned to Photoshop ( okay, sorta, lol) because of the Photoshop thread and a few people have contacted me to do work on their projects. Thats a lot of fun and I get to help put other peoples thoughts and ideas to ink..er, whatever it is.
    Another thought, I was contacted by HAMBer Chris Casny whom many of you know builds some killer cars. He asked me to take a look at a '36 Ford he was buying. Apparently there were questions about it but all turned out good. He now has the car and I really look forward to see what he does with it, remembering what it looked like before it left.
    Sure people disagree and some get downright nasty. So what, that happens in real life too. The nice thing about having it out with someone on here is you don't get their blood on your favorite shirt. :D

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  7. Met a lot of good people....run into some assholes...but hey, its the interwebzzz right?

Awesome place for info, inspiration & assistance.

Thanks Ryan & Co.....Its good to be here.

8. darkk

darkk

Hambers are a little touchy........ok, maybe a lot touchy! I'm a car guy, really. I've had so many, in excess of 250 that I can list on paper. Most of the rest I can't remember. A lot of my stuff was Hamb friendly, some not. I know this forum is for a specific type car and can sorta relate. But I like other stuff too. You guys don't need to freak out when asking for opinions and getting one you don't like. I sometimes state my opinion when the a question is asked and some people go ballistic at my opinions. Don't ask for opinions if you think someone my have one you don't like....touchy, touchy, touchy.....A lot of great stuff here though.

9. It manages to capture my interest on a daily basis..therefore I continue to return to it. It really does have something for everyone, with an interest/passion in our hobby.

Hambers: An odd mix of people who come together here, sharing in a common interest/commaradity that at times, your spouse, families, and closest friends can't even relate to.

As a former California governor once said.."I'll be back".

10. Oldmanolds

Oldmanolds

Asked a few dumb ass quetions and got blasted for it, but that's the way I learn. Had a lot of questions answered here and sometime within seconds of my post. Also I've had the opportunity to meet some of the folks and put faces with the nicknames. All in all a great site. Be an Alliance member!!

11. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

I really have no need for another wife John, but thx anyway:D:p

12. Been a while since this has been at the top. There must be some more good stories by now.

13. Just the fact that I saw this thread and responded.....should tell you what I think of the HAMB! Better than anything else out there for car guys....

14. If you want the real, in depth truth of what kinda people frequent the HAMB, just use the search function and look up any thread about " HAMB Andy" in the archives....
    'Nuff said...
    Stan
    Damn, I miss that kid...

15. It's the best place on the interwebs, period!

16. Ain't that the truth,,HAMBANDY brought at the best in a lot of us. HRP

17. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

I need more time to form an opinion, then maybe I will decide to stay.

John

18. wicarnut

wicarnut

Enjoy all the event, history and race related Pics and follow them daily. Kool place to read about a wide variety of car subjects, and look for some technical info, recently looked up Mercury suspension posts for my 51, all in all, Best Forum I've come across for "Car Crazys" Have had this "addiction" all my life and enjoying the "Hobby" more than ever. Thanks! Ryan and your crew for your efforts and fore site to create this forum. John

19. All American 6

All American 6
    from Sumter, SC

I volunteered to make a trophy for the Gear Jam Drags (an event I learned of through the HAMB). I needed an old piston and connecting rod for it. Through the HAMB the Sock Fockers sent one in the mail - no charge.

(piston was 354 Hemi too!!!)

20. rustang

rustang

Hey John, how is that Merc anyway? Looked like a great car from what I saw of it in Merrill....

Thanks Ryan and crew for putting on a good forum... many of the people here are great, and the few azzholes are probably OK guys in real life (least I'd like to think so) :)

One thing is gor sure, the knowledge here is top notch.....Keep up the good work...
    Tom

21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I think the biggest thing the HAMB has done for me is get me out from under my rock. When I got married and had a kid a few years back, I quit going to the track, and lost touch with most of my car buds. The HAMB has got me back out there again, meeting people like Pensive, Rocket88 and Hemi Deuce face-to-face, and got me out there running into old friends I had kinda lost touch with, like 29Bowtie. It also got me going to my local cruise nights and car shows again, whereas before, I was going to 1-2 shows a year, and not talking to people much when I did. I needed to get out more, and the HAMB has been a big motivator for me.

Next year, I gotta get off my ass and hit a few WA state events. So watch for a slovenly, pudgy, balding guy in jesus boots and khaki shorts. Coming soon to an event near you.:eek:;)

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  22. Where else can you "talk" to Bruce Lancaster!!!

23. hoodprop

hoodprop

Bought my axle off here from a member really cool. other then the the amazing knowledge in one place and the humor is a added bonus.