Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical In need of good curved glass cutter for Chops in Texas (near Austin?)

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Kail, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Kail

Kail
    from Austin, TX

Kidwells has been our go to guy for chops in Northern California, but... I am in Austin Texas now..
    I need a solid guy that can cut curved laminate glass within a reasonable distance. Who is the go to?

Thanks,
    Kail

2. old round fart

old round fart
    from Norman Ok.

Is Dallas to far to go? Talked to a guy at the Chickasha swap meet last weekend that does it. If that will do, I'll try to find his card. John

3. Kail

Kail
    from Austin, TX

thats close enough for me

thanks

4. old round fart

old round fart
    from Norman Ok.

OK I'll find it. John

5. old round fart

old round fart
    from Norman Ok.

6. Krash Vegas

Krash Vegas

Let me know how it goes, Ive talked to him about cuttng down the glass for my Merc.
    Says its 200 + cost of the glass + install. Gonna run about 650 I think.

7. Kail

Kail
    from Austin, TX

price seems fair, I have heard another shop locally to Austin called Aquajet, but don't know anything about them.

8. jivin jer

jivin jer

Save some time, and $$. I tried to make Deep Ellum glass work about 3 years ago on a curved windshield. He had it for about a month. Broke the first glass and as we talked about it he was saying things that didn't sound right. I asked him "have you ever cut a curved windshield before?", his answer was "no". He is "the old car glass shop" though, and eventually if he breaks enough windshields he'll learn how to do it.

Same deal with Binswanger Glass in Fort Worth. They said yup, we do it $45.00 if you buy the shield from us. When I came down to talk things over with the shop foreman who was going to do it, I asked him if HE had ever done one. He said "no they think I can do anything." Needless to say I walked out without enjoying paying for tuition for the shop foreman.

I'm a Texas transplant also.

Last edited: May 15, 2016
  9. old round fart

old round fart
    from Norman Ok.

I talked to him at length and he said they grind the windshield down but it takes all day and 5 boxes of belts and costs $1500. A little stiff for me, but in the overall cost of a custom car, maybe not to bad. I saw another guy that had a 40 grit router bit that worked great if you want to try it yourself. I figure if he does it he buys all the broken w/s until it is done. May be woorth the bucks.

10. Torchie

Torchie

So who did you end up using Jer. Or did you do it yourself.

11. jivin jer

jivin jer

After my shop was sold in the Seattle area my whole family moved to Texas. My son and I broke the windshield in the old shop truck that had come to Texas with us. It was the third redo and it was going to be a fun thing to do as my first retirement project. It is a chopped '78 El Camino.

In the 70s I had a good friend that was a glass guy chop 5" out of my 68 Vette coupe windshield. He made it look easy. He very carefully cut two lines, one on the inside, and one on the outside at the top of the glass with a glass cutter. He then very carefully tapped on each side at those cuts to connect them. He then tilted the glass toward the floor, and poured acetone into that crack and lit it on fire.. The plastic melted and the cut side fell to the floor. The ragged edge was passed through the belt sander a couple of times. It didn't take much. This might have taken 20 minutes. I think I paid him $50.00.

Later while redoing that El Camino the second time the windshield was broken again. This is when my new, big shop was going. The glass guy that had that contract took my broken shield, and came back the next day with a new one, that was cut and ready to be installed, no charge.

So being in Texas where there is a hot rod shop in every niegborhood, I was shocked that I couldn't find anybody that could do this.

I lowered my windshield 2" into the cowl, modified the A pillars and had my glass ground down 2". It cost $400.00.

Last edited: May 15, 2016
  12. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

Waterscythe inc. in Beaumont tx. About 250 miles east of you . He water jets them. Super cool dude , and ex engineer. I don't have the number or info on hand but google it and it will pop up. He cut my 52 curved glass for 50 bucks

couvy likes this.
  13. jivin jer

jivin jer

Hmmmmmm...this might settle the issue.

14. john~N~dallas

john~N~dallas

Contact psychomoto here on the hamb.. He is up here in dallas area.. I think lewisville .. I plan on contacting him when I do my chop.. I have not used him yet but he would be worth talking too .. He has done it for years. John

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App! Using iPhone 6

15. john~N~dallas

john~N~dallas

Well didn't see the post two posts up!! If that works out let us know !!!

16. Call Glass Mike in San Antonio. Tell him Roger sent you.210 449 5514

17. john~N~dallas

john~N~dallas

Any luck ?

18. deepellum3

deepellum3

Hi. My name is Robert. I know this is an older thread, anyhow.
    My shop is Deep Ellu Auto Glass. It is my company.

I'm 54 and have been installing glass since 1977.
    My first chop top glass job was in 1982. A 1966 Chevy suburban, curved windshield.

I don't know who jivin jer in this thread spoke with at my company. It certainly wasn't me.
    We have cut and installed curved glass on many a vehicle.

I would invite anyone to visit our Facebook page to look at our customers vehicles.
    Many chop tops completed. Many happy customers.

We can even cut curved back glasses using a windshield with the same curve.
    Example: customer built a 1957 T bird station wagon. No back glass ever made. We cut him a new back glass to fit using a curved windshield.

We have completed every single chop top curved windshield job that has came our way that I am aware of.

Robert Merrill
    Deep Ellum Auto Glass
    1060 N. I-45 Palmer, Tx. 75152
    Office: 214-712-0000
    Cell: 214-893-6757
    Www.facebook.com/deepellumautoglass

indyjps and kidcampbell71 like this.

19. Hey Robert !! Yep, many a ride with chopped glass at your place. Jamie C. here. Saw you last with my off topic red square body Suburban. You rule !! Just saying 'ello !! I recommend you all the time here. Great guy, and can't say enough about your place. Take care !!

Deep Ellum Auto Glass likes this.
  20. jivin jer

jivin jer

Well, I just saw this pop up again. Yes Robert, you were the guy that I interacted with. I specifically asked for a "cut" windshield. I don't know how you could misunderstand that. I don't think there was any misunderstanding, you thought that I didn't know what I was talking about. Too bad. There should be a "cutter" in Texas. I sure haven't found one yet, and that definitely includes you, Robert.
    I need to add that somebody needs to put in the time to "learn" how to do this. He/she could name their (reasonable) price and get rich, with no overhead. There used to be lots of guy's that did this. There is never a gaurantee, but the right guy hardly ever breaks one.

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  21. jivin jer

jivin jer

Hey guy's, I gotta' chime in here. I was just playin' around and found a bunch of utube wind shields being cut the old fashioned way. They made it look easy. I didn't stay long enough to find one that had contact info, but it looks like it should be there if you put in the time. Good luck. I think I put "cutting custom windshields" in my search bar.

22. Jivin Jer. You obviously DID NOT speak with me. Argue if you want, say what you want.
    We have the TOP video on utube cutting curved laminated glass. Over 72,000 views to date.
    Just look on utube. Type in "chopped top windshield"
    This video (several years old) tells a very different story about me and my ability to cut curved laminated glass.
    Curved laminated glass is not a problem for me to cut. My several years old utube video proves it!
    Why would I tell a potential customer that I could not cut curved laminated?
    My video and pics on my company Facebook page tells a very different story than what you are saying.
    We will have a 55 Chevy truck in here next week getting a new windshield and big back glass cut down 3 inches.
    Pics coming soon!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016

23. You obviously saw my utube video! The very top one. Contact info is there as well

24. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Maybe you thought he was jivin'!:D

Deep Ellum Auto Glass likes this.
  25. My guess is he was never a customer at all. I never had his windshield in my shop. As my videos show it does not take me a month to cut one. Never has, never will.
    We did the cut and install for Krash Vegas on his Merc (below) in this thread. Happy customer!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  26. cut10.jpg

Attached Files:

RMONTY and kidcampbell71 like this.
  27. We custom cut a curved laminated back glass for the 57 T bird custom wagon above ^^^

28. Another one we cut