Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1937 to 1942 Willys Picture Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Rod Willys, Jan 15, 2011.

1. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

love it

2. 354valiant

354valiant
    from Illinois

Found couple Willys sedan pics thru a link...here on the board

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  3. 354valiant

354valiant
    from Illinois

Is the "Wee Willy" car the same car as the "Overland Express" ...? A lot of similarities....

Attached Files:

4. 354valiant

354valiant
    from Illinois

Another look...at the "Overland Express"

Attached Files:

5. 354valiant

354valiant
    from Illinois

Here is my '40 Willys...not looking good right now, but I would like to resurrect my Willys to Gasser status....

Attached Files:

6. 354valiant

354valiant
    from Illinois

This is the Gasser status I'd like to get too...

Attached Files:

7. Weasel

Weasel

Talking of Willys gasser sedans this has always been one of my favorites and a killer stance to boot....

[​IMG]

caseyajones likes this.
  8. Weasel

Weasel

9. Sky Pilot

Sky Pilot

yeah that car was done up nicely for the day !

10. The Bomber

The Bomber
    from mass.

11. ardyboy

ardyboy

Friend of mine raced this in the 60s. we picked up a folder full of old pictures of it and his blessing to reproduce it.

Attached Files:

12. Sky Pilot

Sky Pilot

thats great ardy... i guess with the help of the cyber world to document things maybe the next generation will take better care of these pieces of rolling history... back then they werent really worth a great deal, many were raced and put to pasture as life moved on for there owners getting married, and raising kids then divorces 25 years later . fortunately guys still picking up gasser carcasses to build and preserve the good ole days....:cool:

13. Weasel

Weasel

They're still out there....[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

love it

15. Weasel,
    Neat find...how did a Canadian coupe escape Abe Suderman?
    g-willys

16. Hemiken

Hemiken
    from Australia

Hey Guys, I saved this one because it needed saving. I really did not need to get another car........:cool:

Attached Files:

17. boogeracng

boogeracng
    from Eureka,MO

HemiKen......what the heck is it? It looks like a pickup cab, but the rear fenders appear to be passenger car.......was it a Ute? I thought a Ute had coupe shaped doors. Or was it a sedan someone made into a pickup. Or is it something else completely off the wall............

18. Hemiken

Hemiken
    from Australia

It is a FACTORY MADE wooden back ute :D pretty rare actually. I have no need for it but i could not just leave it where it was..........
    The rear fenders look like sedan, but in fact the are proper ute rear guards, as they are much wider than sedan guards, it is amazing how original the car still is, they were true craftsman back when these were new. :cool:

19. Weasel

Weasel

Hemiken whose body is that? It doesn't look like a Holden - the windshield angle and cab shape is all wrong for a Holden body - and the doors appear to be U.S. Willys pickup which was a hallmark of the Mitchell bodied Willys utes but the rear cab shape is not the conventional Mitchell shape - see Mitchell pix below. The TJR bodies were all five window so I am thinking it is not a TJR. The cab shape appears to be much more like a U.S. bodied pickup with a cutout recess for the tray back but the swage line at the rear of the cab is wider than the U.S. pickup and the depth of the cab behind the door is much greater than the U.S. cab. Is the tray back original? Not seeing the rear window makes it a little more challenging to figure out. The 1936 model 77 rear wheels are obviously not original to the ute....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Weasel

Weasel

U.S. cab for comparison, look at the cab depth behind the door - sorry about the non Hamb friendly photo but it's the only profile shot I could find on the web....

[​IMG]

21. Weasel

Weasel

Redeeming myself for the above photo - this coupe is now in So Cal....

[​IMG]

22. this coupe is now in So Cal....
    Weasel,
    That's cross country...last time I saw it was in New York...who got it out your way???
    g-willys

23. ...My buddy Lenny's 41...

Attached Files:

24. Weasel

Weasel

It's now in the Rick Lorenzen Collection near Long Beach. It relocated a couple of years ago to sunnier climes....

25. 1934coupe

1934coupe

That 39 started out in Long Beach in the Museum near the Queen Mary. A friend of mine bought it out of there around 1990 he lived in CT then I told another friend about the car and he bought it. He is the one who sold it back to CA.

Pat

26. Hemiken

Hemiken
    from Australia

Hi Weasel,

I know these cars pretty well buddy. It is not a Mitchell body, this is a TJR TJ Richards, from what i can tell it would have been built using a sedan, it has the same front doors as a sedan and the same rear window as a sedan too. The wooden back is all original to the car, it would have only had the rear fenders being the only bit of steel panel on the rear, the tray looks like it would have looked like a tray from an olden day wagon, with a platform along the middle and then raised sides with flat platforms over the rear fenders and then with vertical sides. I have seen this look before. ;) And the 36 wheel is not meant to be on it :D

27. threewindaguy

threewindaguy

Just acquired this steel '41 Willys. Guy was headed in the wrong direction with it, having butchered the dash, shaved the stainless (I still have it though), shaved the door handles, started to hide the door hinges (missing the right sides), and a few other mistakes. She's a builder, we'll save it......

Attached Files:

28. drumyn29

drumyn29

can I have the garnish moulding?

29. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Nice. Glad to see another one saved from being turned into a smoothie show rod.

30. threewindaguy

threewindaguy

It probably won't get a blown hemi in it either. Not all Willy's gassers ran AA/GS. The lower class ones were very entertaining as well.