Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Spider caps

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Dday, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Dday

Dday

In the late 60's my old man found these spider caps in the trunk of a 36 Pontiac. Now I'm running them on my 61 Ford. Who made them and when?? I've searched the net and haven't found anything like them. Any info would be much appreciated. TIA

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

2. Post Apocalyptic Kustoms

Post Apocalyptic Kustoms
    BANNED
    from Outside

When are you gonna sell me those for the five-7?

3. Dday

Dday

That's a big never Junior. They'll be in the family for another 40+ years if I have anything to do with em.

4. Hey I need a pic...would love to have those on my 61! What sucks is Moon was selling the. " spider hubcap"back in the mid to late 90's still!

5. Post Apocalyptic Kustoms

Post Apocalyptic Kustoms
    BANNED
    from Outside

I wish I could have got a set of those Moon "spiders" back in the 90's when they were still selling 'em. Did you sell the '61 Dday?

Might not be a bad idea to post a pic of them in the "Wheel freaks" thread on LBCC. Somebody might know.

6. eppster

eppster

I have a set of them that I plcked up somewhere years ago. They're not in very good condition . I have never seen another set and often wondered about their history.

7. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

Car Craft magazine, April 1964 ran a wheel and hubcap review. Though yours aren't pictured, a similar hub cover with a tri-bar spinner is shown made by Cal Custom. Text states that hub cover spiders were available from Cal Custom, too.

Accessories, International L.A. (Los Angeles?) offered similar products in that issue

8. Dday

Dday

Thanks for the info guys!! Moon is going to start selling the 15" full spulider caps again in the spring.

Junior- I ended up keeping it. I'm gonna give it the full Kandy treatment in the spring.

9. Really? Are you talking the full wheel cover they sold in the 90's? Looks like a chrome steel wheel with spider cap on it? I remember being them about 125 for a set...wonder were they will be now?

10. Dday

Dday

Yeah its a full cap to simulate a chrome steelie with a spider.

1382650389905.jpg

11. Dday

Dday

Here's a pic for ya loveoftiki. Of course it was taken before the 4" blocks out back.

12. Dday

Dday

Attached Files:

13. Bitchin! Shaving the trim on my Sunliner too as mine sucks and can't find the stuff anywhere!

Wish they made those caps in 14's and I just scored some real chrome reverse wheels for my F100 or I'd order a set for that

14. 64 and 65 Comet Cyclones had 14 inch polished stainless caps like that, but they didn't have pointy bullets. Look for some pictures, they might work for you.

15. Just saw a set of NOS ones from the local Ford cool shit guy at the swap meet.....700 bucks! I'll buy chrome "oe" wheels for less than that

16. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

To answer the OP, I'm pretty sure those were from Cal Custom, I've seen quite a few for sale over the years actually.

17. Next time ya see some let me know. I'll PM ya my cell! Never see them here