Register now to get rid of these ads!

Preserving Patina

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by panhead_pete, Nov 28, 2012.

1. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just bought an old truck and want to treat it before shipping and there after as paint is orig but nice and faded. Whats the best thing I can do to stop it from going to crap whilst maintaining the rodarfific look? :)

[​IMG]

2. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

nice truck but that's not patina, it's rust. Why would you want to preserve rust?? Better for you to treat the rust and spray some primer for now.

3. mcnally351

mcnally351
    from boston

Truck looks cool. I appreciate original fading paint even surface rust on an old ride, it almost tells a story or reminds you of its age. But to put an actual effort into preserving the current state really seams like a waste of time to me. if your going to put the time into the body, start sanding, if not just drive it the way it is. I've seen guys clear over surface rust, it doesn't look right, like a faux patina paint job on a fiberglass body. Just my opinion, do what you want it's your ride, and a cool one for sure, good luck

4. psychobilly1963

psychobilly1963

clean it very well, scuff it with a grey scotch brite(just enough to get it dull) then spray it with a flat or matted clearcoat, it will look bitchin!

5. bigdaddylove

bigdaddylove

6. kidzintha34fodor

kidzintha34fodor

Well, you could try linseed oil. Just brush it over the paint and rust and then wipe it down with a rag. It will have a sheen to it for a couple of days, but will eventually die back to a flat finish. This will keep it from rusting any further. Not the prefered way of most, but works and is pretty cheep.

7. Crookshanks

Crookshanks

Good looking pickup. It's lasted this long without treatment. Leave it be.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

8. BLUMEANIE

BLUMEANIE
    from St. Louis

9. chaddilac

chaddilac

Indoor/Outdoor Polyurethane!!

10. scott51

scott51

There was a pretty interesting thread on here recently about all kinds of metal blackening and coloring treatments that included ways to colour, patina and preserve every kind of metal finish you could imagine. Search "blackening" and it should show up (sorry I'm post from my phone)

11. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Bump. I was actually looking for that washing a barn find thread, seems to be gone. I got a new work truck, not really a barn find, a greenhouse find actually. Anyway the paint is pretty good but minor rust is popping through on the roof and at the seams. So I want to stop further rusting and clean up what's come up. I already brushed some rust converter stuff (white liquid, turns rust black color) in the seams, but should I CLR the other areas, then the rust converter stuff, then wax it? It will not be garaged. Sorry no close up.

Attached Files:

12. Johnny La-Chingas

Johnny La-Chingas

That's a bitching truck, reminds me of my old 48 I should have NEVER sold!

Attached Files:

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, that's rust and neglect, not patina. Patina would be paint worn though to the primer in spots because it had been washed and polished so many times that it was polished through to the primer and the primer shined from polishing and waxing.

14. ........another preserving rust thread.......yawn........think I'll go watch the Kardashians on On Demand

15. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Gibbs gun oil. /thread.

16. If it was me I would wash it really well use clr to remove the surface rust and then wash it again then wax it with a good wax it will bring the original color back and make it a bit more shiney but it will slow the aging of the paint.

17. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

this^^^^^. A lot of that surface rust will wash off with warm water and CLR mix and a scrubber-back sponge...you'll be surprised. Then paint it with flatened clear...it'll look great. Here's my old truck.

Attached Files:

tcfitton and kidcampbell71 like this.
  18. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

Sweet looking old truck......no matter what just enjoy it and drive the wheels off her!

19. Normal Norman

Normal Norman
    from Goshen IN.

OK now I'm beginning to understand, all this patina stuff needs to be defined; Rule #1 Patina must not include rust.
    #2 Only faded paint allowed.
    WTF! are we getting a little picky in our old age?
    N.N.

Hightone111 likes this.
  20. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

Why do ANYTHING ... it got the way it is from lack of care... so
    just keep on doing the same.
    or leave the bat droppings and tree leafs on , then clear coat it / to seal the
    ugliness.. JUST THE WAY IT IS.

:cool:

21. Leviman

Leviman

Can everyone quit bitching and stay on topic? Geez. Clr works. I've heard of a product called waxoil being used to protect the patina. And imo, patina does include surfave rust.

22. JLB3

JLB3

I think the cool thing about "patina" is the fact that mother nature is your painter. She can create some cool looking hot rods!

To preserve mother nature's work of art, I think the best option it to spray the car with a satin clear coat.

23. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Cool looking truck.. I agree with you on keeping what you and I call "patina".. It will only be that way once.. Anybody can hide it with paint...

24. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Traditionally, patina (green) referred to oxidation of bronze and copper caused by time and exposure. Now, it generally refers to anything made more beautiful by the effects of time and weathering. Rust or no rust, it's all patina

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

25. oldcarguygazok

oldcarguygazok
    from AUSTRALIA.

What I've read on here regarding Gibbs gun oil and CRC,this is only for bare metal,if you clear coat it it will eventually flake,if it was me,i would buff it all,then use a good polish.Nice truck btw,good luck,Gaz!

26. I've heard of the CLR deal but haven't done it myself. HRP

27. Funny you read the paint shop threads and it's prep prep prep. But the patina preservation threads (old worn out paint) quickly (or not) scuff it and clear it. So once that all starts lifting off of the "preserved patina" then waddoyudo?
    -Pat

28. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Cool truck! I really dig it. What's with the SOS? What did you use that for? And DON'T say the dog dishes. :)

29. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I put a coat of wax on my truck once a year, along with squirting oil inside the doors and cab corners (and any other spots that may hold moisture). Looks a little more ragged every year, but I'm certain the truck will outlast me.
    [​IMG]

30. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

THEN you prep prep prep.....