Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects A 1933 Ford 5w coupe from a 4 door sedan...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Fordgasser1, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

I just picked up a rough 33' Ford four door sedan..Was thinking about building it into a 5 window coupe..I thought there was a thread on here by someone who already did this conversion..Anyone?I can do the metalwork,no problem..I am nuts?

The cowl and roof are solid on the car but the floors/rockers/subs are gone...I was thinking either build or modify the roadster quarters from Steves..

Pics to follow..

2. speedyb

speedyb
    from socal

That looks like about $25,000 in metalwork!

3. Kevinsrodshop

Kevinsrodshop

That would be a lot of work. Fordors are cool too. Enjoy it the way it is!

4. I'll do it for 10 grand.......Canadian dollars.

sko_ford likes this.
  5. rayjon

rayjon
    from Reno Nv..

my guess is you have done this before...

6. skull

skull

just shorten' a bit and make a two door sedan.

that's what l did on my 30 dodge. that's the one in my avitar.

''Rustys Rod & gun - I'll do it for 10 grand.......''

or l could sell him the 1935- 5 chevy window coupe l have for that much and save him a ton of work:D have to be in american $$$$

Later:cool:

Attached Files:

7. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Nice job!..That's exactly what I was envisioning..You guys even took it further by using the rear doors and fabing the rear quarters..I was gonna cheat a little an get the rear 1/4s from Steves Auto Restorations..But your build is inspiring to say the least! Awesome.

My desire is to build a competition coupe(chopped and probably channeled) early Hemi or Nailhead and I really don't want to cut up a nice coupe body(yeah, I know I shouldn't care,but I do)..This 4 door is in such a sad shape I think it would only be good as a parts car. I enjoy doing the metalwork and if I gotta fix the rotted out parts anyhow,why not build what I want?..

Four doors is two doors too many for me!

8. No no! Not mine. I plan on doing the same thing though ,so I look at that one almost daily. I wonder if it ever got finished? Anyone know?

9. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

i dont think your nuts. go for it.

10. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Well, here's the pics I promised...Just got it home today..

Attached Files:

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  11. Sounds like a ton of work when it's already a cool car as is.

Just ask Bonnie & Clyde...

jakespeed63 likes this.
  12. Cool! It looks pretty good. At least its all in one piece. If you decide to part it, I'll take the quarter window/ roof areas...

13. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

a few more shots.

Attached Files:

14. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Once I got all the junk cleaned out,it's not as bad as I first thought..Needs floors,subs and rockers but the rest ain't bad.. It didn't have the door or grille but the hood is really nice..The old timer took the steering column for another 33' Sedan he's working on..
    I'll get her off the trailer tomorrow and get a closer look at the frame..I think it has some heavy pitting where the boards were bolted to it,but overall I think it's useable..

15. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Been working on the 33 in my spare time..I'm hoping to build a cool,chopped,Flatttie powered 5 window coupe(ala Thunderbirdesq's build)from this pile of rusty Ford tin..It'll be alot of work but I'm really looking forward to it!!.

Getting started I removed the 4 dr. body in sections due to the rusty floors/subrail..The frame was rotted out in the rear kickup area and siderails..A good friend of mine had another 33 frame that was wrecked in the front so I decided to take the best parts of each build a solid frame..I could have found another good frame but decided to try and save as much of the original car as possible..Not having a frame jig here,I built it on the shop floor..Using a Ford frame blueprint,levels and a tape measure I was able to get it pretty straight and true..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  16. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

A few mock up shots of the frame..I set the new subrails on the frame to checked the fit on the pieced together frame..

Attached Files:

17. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Started repairing the B pillars and replacing the rotted out Cowl feet..You can see how the body was barely staying together with all the rot..I took a bunch of measurements and made a few templates for the lower B pillars..

Attached Files:

18. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Cowl repairs.I bought the inner cowl feet from Steves and they looked nice but weren't quite an exact replacement for the originals..I had to cut and modify them a little but they'll work just fine..I'm not going for a concourse correct body anyhow,just a solid foundation to build my coupe from..Once I got the cowl feet to fit,I set it on the frame to see where the cowl would be in relation to the subrails and B pillars..My father who built many 30's Ford hotrods in the day always stressed to get the cowl bolted down first and get everything else to line up from there..So heres a few mock ups of the front half of body to see what it looks like..I'm getting excited from how it looks already!!

Attached Files:

19. Did,nt know you could buy inner cowl feet . What new panel can,t you buy these days?
    That's a decent size project your doing there.

20. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

nice work there , love your ambition and talent , your having a lot of fun....

21. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

looking good, great pics...

22. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Yes Gaz,the inner cowl feet are availible from SAR and Howells..Alot of these lower patches are availible now..Some of the pieces I am going to make others I'll buy to save some time.

23. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Thanks guys!

Picked up these a few weeks ago which will be a big help!They'll need alot of work for sure but its a good start for 1/4's..

Attached Files:

24. Uptown83

Uptown83

Well with those quarter panels you are pretty much set I think. Keep up posted.

25. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Yep,got all the major parts, need to give them some love and massage them into shape..I've got a nice decklid and all the lower rear panels too..The 1/4's were the hardest thing to find,I just happen to get lucky and stumble across them while looking at another 33 coupe for sale..Originally,I was going to use new 34 roadster 1/4's from SAR and modify them to fit but SAR stopped making them!:eek:
    Another fellow,Donnie Smart makes beautiful rear 1/4's too but these were more in my budget..

26. druids62

druids62

I'm admiring your ambition! Nice work so far. May I tag along?

27. I like 4 drs., :) especially when they all open backwards. :cool: Think about it....... there aren't many yrs. that do that.
    JMO.
    Good luck, it won't take you long & you'll be burning rubber with that flattie. :D
    Wes

28. budd

budd

29. Looks great man! I was just looking at cowl feet today for mine. Howells are a little cheaper than SAR's and since they don't fit anyway, I think I'll get the cheaper ones, ha!