Register now to get rid of these ads!

Iron Invasion returns to Chicago October 11 & 12, 2013 Woodstock IL

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by coolstuff, May 18, 2013.

1. silent rick

silent rick

how much extra insurance do you need to carry for the do-it-yourself stunt show. your show doesn't need a gimmick. maybe you can cut costs by eliminating that part of the show.

2. Hellfish

Hellfish

It was a really great show and I think you did everything right. It may just take time. Keep in mind that it was several years before the Pileup had made enough money to start making donations. I have a few ideas, John. I'll send them to you.

3. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Really John, this is only the 2nd year for this show, you have to give it enough time to grow. Most shows are thrilled to break even the first few years. Gene

4. the cold hard truth is the dates of the shows. look back at the posts for torque fest guys were driving through snow storms. last years iron invasion was cold and windy. attendees dont forget these things. also most guys in this area of the country dont have there cars out that early for torque fest and are put away by october. moving the dates a few weeks may prove to be a good move. im all about the shows and the benefit to the kids. i have attended the last three shows you have done. when i have to put in for vacation time from work i may have second thoughts on using it to be cold and wet. the weather is just so unpredictable at those times of the year. when its good its great. when its not good the show suffers. some of the cars that show up dont have roofs, heaters,some dont even have floors. just my opinion keep up the good work

5. Stick Shift

Stick Shift
    from LENA IL

Weather never stopped the Pile Up when it was in Morris. There is a Polar Cruise in the winter that some attend also. It is about the people and good times that make the shows. I always liked driving to Morris in the 33 with no heater. Many memories and good times on those trips. Johns shows are great times and I probably would not let the early or late seasons stop me from going.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. von zipper

von zipper

Just adds to the adventure! It was cold and rainy on the Friday of the last Torquefest! My Galaxie has a bad heater core since the day I got it,so no heat! Plus my buddy was complaining about a draft hitting his feet. We plugged it with a towel, and I reminded him, "this IS the fun part!" also, my Ranchero @ The Polarbear cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Attached Files:

7. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I actually like the fact that John has shows that "book end" the driving season. Until this year (Mecum) there wasn't much competition. I hope TF can avoid being on the same weekend as Spring Jefferson. That would be BIG competition.

I wish the weather was better. Certainly it would help spectator participation. But the true hotrodders will come out no matter what.

8. HAHAHAHA Hilarious

9. john was asking for input to grow the show not keep the same hard core participants. the hard core will always be there regardless of the weather. its just not the majority that will come out in bad weather and its that majority that will bring in more money. its all about defining your goal. if the goal is to make more cash to eventually donate to charity then something has to change to bring in those extra people.

10. 59bones

59bones
    from Illinois

I tried to help by purchasing lots of PBR. ;)

I also think the dates are just about perfect and enjoyed both TF (especially Friday) and II this year. Screw the cold and rain as we all know, this ain't Socal.

Admittedly I can't offer much in the suggestion department other than to stay the course and keep going with two great shows. Thanks to John and all the others who put in so much time and effort.

OK - here is a goofy idea. How about setting up a donation bin/bucket. Get one of those super imaginative and talented young bucks to make it out of old car parts. Hell, figure out how to hook it to some cool 60s Chrysler speedo (even if you gotta fake it) so it shows how much $ has been donated. Put it in a very prominent location so it can't be missed. Get the winner of the pin-up contest to pose for pictures with those making donations. A beautiful smile and a funky contraption might go a long way...

...or how about a dunk tank. :eek:

11. Continental john
    That's him with his hand on the bed in the pic
    Tk

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. A Boner

A Boner

If I had a rat rod, the cold and rainy weather wouldn't stop me from attending.........but if

13. von zipper

von zipper

Another art auction! The Surfboards at Torquefest were pretty cool!

14. BigDrag

BigDrag
    from Milwaukee

Hey John - I think you put on a great event. You could look at adding a charity auction and 50/50 drawing. I don't know if raising spectator admission a few bucks will help or not, I paid more for a pre-formed rib sandwich and some fries than I did at the gate.
    Weather and the "no trailers" kept my stuff home in the garage for both Torquefest and the Invasion.

15. ...thanks for the info guys.

16. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

the is no issue with trailers. Just need to park them at a remote site. No big deal.

17. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

thanks for being the FIRST to park your trailer at the Harley dealership Bob.
    Actually we are considering allowing trailers on site next year......
    for a price.
    We actually had 3 different people with trailers offer to pay extra for parking their trailer on site.
    The one guy offered $50 and we turned him down because it was not fair to the others who had already parked at the Harley dealership.
    SO....I ask you, the trailer owners....
    would you pay extra $$$ to park on site?
    Or would you just park down at the dealership?

18. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I'm too cheap to pay extra.

or I would park WAAAAY out back, like last year.

19. BigDrag

BigDrag
    from Milwaukee

I would pay extra to park a trailer on site. I can only fit so much stuff into the coupe it's easier for the 2-3 day long shows to have a trailer....sort of a base camp....to keep a cooler, or bikes, e/z up and chairs. If the weather gets nasty I can shelter the car. If I bring a race car I like to put them away at night no matter what the weather.
    Either way I really liked Iron Invasion and want the show to grow.
    Ever think about having a Brat-Fry?

20. if there is a trailer fee im staying home. im not paying for a car entry fee a swap space entry fee and a trailer fee. then having to deal with the hassle of unloading the car setting up the swap space then dropping off the trailer and walking back to the show from some off site trailer location. if you want the show to grow make it easier on everyone not more expensive and more trouble for the participants. in this poor economy making people choose between driving their car or swapping is no way to go. if anything they should get a break because they are bringing something to two areas of the show. i prefer to drive my car to shows. its just not possible to swap and show.

21. slammed

slammed

More cars+people= More $. Nothing needs change. Just keep building a solid reputation (Pile Up!) and the the place will be packed in the up and coming years. Focus is on the cars and the atmosphere.

22. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

racer-x, did you miss the part that said we have FREE parking at the Harley dealership?
    the point of the show is to drive to the event.....
    we know that some people have to trailer cars from states away - but ultimately that is NOT what we want the show to be about. If we had a LOT of room, of course we could have trailer parking on site.
    But we don't.
    There is no way we will ever please everyone, and I think those that come to the show have a good time.
    We hope that they will continue to do so.
    Again - thanks to all that parked their trailers at the Harley Davidson Woodstock parking area. It seemed to go really smooth and we appreciate all those that took the time to go through this hassle.

For those that feel this is too much work to make the show special, we understand and hope that you will want to join us as a spectator next year.

23. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

Thanks man - I have been getting a LOT of emails in the private email stating JUST this.
    We will keep on keeping on and hope that the show will survive with the loyal fans.
    Seeya down the road.

24. I was commenting on post 197. I know there was free parking this year. Dont shoot the messenger.

25. von zipper

von zipper

Keep up the great work !! I'm gonna always come! Maybe I should volunteer too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free