Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Gmc blowers

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by coopsdaddy, Sep 1, 2012.

1. BadBlownMotor

BadBlownMotor
    from Michigan

I don't know how we got onto the 53 series, but yes the 6v71 and straight 671 are different in size and displacement. You can not interchange the rotors.

Basic Blower Measurements:
    http://www.wallaceracing.com/Basic%20Blower%20Measurements.htm

Also, don't confuse the numbers used to describe the Detroit Diesel engine. Those numbers have nothing to do with the displacement of the blower used in any series. The numbers are used to describe both the number of cylinders and the displacement of each of those cylinders.

Example:
    6-71 = six cylinders, 71 CID per cylinder

IIRC, an "N" after the CID per cylinder is for naturally aspirated, and "T" is turbo charged.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  2. BadBlownMotor

BadBlownMotor
    from Michigan

Exactly. I think 18% faster I read somewhere. I could be wrong on the percentage, but it is faster.

3. ardyboy

ardyboy

I've had this Crower/Cragar unit sitting on the bench for a while. Looks like it might be going to a new home this weekend.

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  4. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Thanks JonnyD:) This years version has a new intake and new heads.
    What is really cool, is that I have the original bill of sales of the Hilborn 2-port:) Dean Moon bought it, set-up for a small block chev. with potvin drive.
    Date is 1959. It has a fabricated scoop. After some research it's very likely that this was ordered and used in the Larsen & Cummings streamliner;)

The next version will have a glimmer belt set-up......;)

K

Taildragger&fenderless

Attached Files:

1947knuck and Deuces like this.
  5. kelzweld

kelzweld

Agreed. I've had both blowers side by side and the V is shorter.

6. herrakani

herrakani

I wouldn't mind scoring a reasonably priced 6/71 core.

7. superprojoe

superprojoe
    from Illinois

[​IMG]
    Seriously bad ass right here!!!:eek:

8. Louie S.

Louie S.

A 4-71 is going to be expensive and hard to find. I have a vintage 4-71 v belt setup, but will be using it on the next project. A 6-71 is readily available, and cheaper. Plus it will make more power when you spin the 327 up. I have an 8-71 on a 1000hp big block, and love it, and have built a lot of blower motors. Don't skimp on the bottom end of that 327, unless you want to build it twice. Spend your money on a good crank and rods, a 6-71, and drive the hell out of it.

Kan Kustom likes this.
  9. JohnnyD.

JohnnyD.
    from Kentucky

FENDERLESS. That's some great history. Even Kooler that your running it. Looks like a very serious effort. I get a lot of inspiration from the late 50's early 60's. Regular Joes building things in the garage. Are you having issues with the v-belt drive?

10. Yeah !!!!
    Like saying I wouldn't finding money laying on the street.

There's plenty of them out there, seek and you shall find

11. He speaks the truth!

12. Attached Files:

13. BadBlownMotor

BadBlownMotor
    from Michigan

Attached Files:

14. They should be the same length rotors, My guess you're v6 blower came from a turbo motor. Does it have a by-pass valve in the end housing?

15. BadBlownMotor

BadBlownMotor
    from Michigan

Are you sure we are all on the same page? I know I'm not an expert, but the picture I posted above is a 6V-71 and the case section measures 12.000 inches. According to the chart I posted near the top of this page from Wallace Racing, the case length for a 6V-71 is 12.000 inches. A straight 6-71 is suppose to be 15.000 inches. The measurement is taken between the bearing plates only. The rest of the unit is not taken into consideration for the measurement.

I know at one time 8-71 units where built from stock GMC 8V-71 blower rotors which were put into a new aftermarket case. So, this is the only situation I know of that you may interchange rotors that I know of.

If there is someone who is a real expert on GMC blowers that can shed some real light on this, I think we would all greatly appreciate it. If you decide to do so, please post some pictures with a tape measure showing the measurements.

16. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

You my good man are correct

Chrome don't get ya home

17. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Scrap yard I used to go to [Before I got on HAMB] had lots of gmc's all over the place, every storage area had a few 4-6-8/71 tucked away....Then out in the yard there was a bunch more 6v's bolted on v6's and doubled up on v12's and pretty sure there was a v16 also...I used to tell every body but never saw any disappear and I never saw any of the 2 or 3-71's..Now a days they won't let pickers in...What an interesting never knew what ya gonna find place..

18. 1952henry

1952henry

Yes there was. A 1-71 also existed.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQpwIQqTj4E

You could supercharge your Briggs!

19. Oops, I was wrong, I checked on a Detroit forum and they are different!

71 series engines came as 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 6v, 8v, 12v and multiples of 6v, 8v, and 12v. The largest 71 series I've heard of is 32 cylinders which was 4 modified 8v71 blocks bolted together. This design is from way before Fords modern idea of "modular engines".

20. 1952henry

1952henry

That's how I felt.

21. abbe

abbe
    from sweden

22. chaz75

chaz75
    from Mesa, AZ

23. herrakani

herrakani

Dayum. I was just about to ask is a 8v71 suitable for sbc:s, I got a deal for a dirt cheap core with nonscarred blades. So, add drive parts and new bearings and manifold adapter and it is good to go where a 6/71 was supposed to?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

24. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I scored a 6-71 blower over the weekend too! :)

Supposedly it's already been rebuilt but I will double check. It came with a cool back bearing plate, blower drive, idler, and crank pulley.

I've ordered the Street Supercharging book everyone recommends, it's less than $10 shipped from Amazon!

I was wondering, what is the vintage of the "Street Charger" front drive/cover? Who manufactured it? I can't seem to find any good info with a Google search.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1382377430.862331.jpg

Posted using my dang ol' telephonamajig...

Attached Files:

1947knuck and Deuces like this.
  25. powrshftr

powrshftr

Nice score!
    Your mechanic seems to have things under control though...:)

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

26. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Dyers.

27. 24riverview

24riverview

Yes Dyers and I bought mine (with that cover, used) in 1977. Haven't looked but may still be making them that way.

28. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Sorry for the late replay JohnnyD. Thanks for the kind words:) No big issues with the V-Belt setup with the current overdrive, but we figured that it would be an issue as we are heading against 70% over:D!?

K

Taildragger&fenderless

29. 3-71 on a V6 - Having trouble finding a drive for it.

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.