Register now to get rid of these ads!

Free use of car trailer going West

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by klawockvet, Oct 17, 2013.

1. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had to leave an 18 foot car trailer near St Louis MO because it wouldn't fit in my new enclosed trailer. Original plan was to put the new 40 tudor on it and then put it into the trailer. Dumb me checked the overall height but I found it was 2" too wide to fit. I had to leave it with the intention of selling it but I would let someone borrow it if they would bring it west. All they need to do is give me the purchase price and I will refund it when the car got to southern Utah, Nevada or California. Cant beat this for a deal if you need to get a car west.

2. parklane

parklane

3. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos
    from Missery

Im going that way but already got a big trailer to use , timing :/

4. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. Actually - all someone needs to do is rent a trailer from U-Haul
    at a way cheaper price than essentially buying your trailer ....

No offense - but towing a trailer that is not a rented one
    but belonging to someone else leaves the person towing the trailer
    in a position of liability .....

Jim

6. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I dont understand your thinking. The net cost would be nothing. Uhaul wanted 550 for MO to Utah. More to Las Vegas or the coast. The trailer would belong to whoever was hauling it until it got back to me. No liability issues here as trailers are covered by the towing vehicles in every policy I have had.

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's a good deal for someone who has the cash available to tie up for a couple of weeks but for most guys it might be hard to lay out that amount of cash and then make the trip too.

8. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

I'm looking to rent a woman with a boat,car, and a FAT bank Acount.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  9. I second that .... ;)

Jim

10. Unless you transfer registration - title (if applicable) and unless the
    person towing the trailer gets plates issued in their name .....

The operator of the tow vehicle is liable for the trailer and any
    accidents - damage - claims arising out of towing it.

Your insurance does not covers others that are not members
    of your household or immediate family.

When a U Haul trailer is rented - the insurance company
    of the renter may/may not cover the trailer (depends on the policy).

It always a good idea to pay for the optional insurance offered
    by the rental company ..... :cool:

Jim

11. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

12. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

How does this work???

You want somebody to give you a couple of $1000 , so they can get the privilege of delivering your trailer 1/2 way across the USA for free.

You say you had the intention of selling it, so what happens if it gets a "stone-chip" ? Do you keep the money and they keep the trailer.

You should be paying them to deliver your trailer!

THIS SMELLS LIKE A SCAM!!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  13. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Perhaps he meant 'trailer'.

When I bought my rod last year I was considering flying across country and buying a $500 beater to tow it home with and sell after. Renting/buying a trailer was the expensive part. This would have worked. I have never driven across county and kind of wanted to, but not both ways. :)

14. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Dang man, this is the point when I would walk away and figure something else out.

You may want to put this on the Utah Group. Guys are always making car runs to the east to get stuff.

16. I think the O P has a screw loose !
    Anybody would be an I D I O T to take him up on his offer

17. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

18. Truckedup

Truckedup

If you rent a U Haul trailer who has the liability coverage on the trailer? U Haul or the person towing it?

19. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1. Instead of listening to this bullshit it would be pretty simple to pick up the phone and call your insurance agent.
    2. As for getting the money back its pretty simple when done with Paypal and the payment gets cancelled if the trailer gets west.
    I guess it would take a little trust on both ends but after listening to these threads I have decided to forget it.

20. Seems pretty simple to me.
    Ill be dragging my empty trailer to the east coast tomorrow. If this deal were sitting on the east coast needing to come back west, I'd contemplate it. However I wouldn't be keen on paying full price on the trailer. Something yes but not full price

There's really no incentive for you to refund my money, But there's plenty of incentive for me to not to hang onto your trailer.

Insurance workshop is better left for another forum and personal responsibility to call your agent. Every policy and company is different. Mine works like this - if its hooked to my truck its my responsibility and my carrier covers my responsibility. I know this because I've called them and asked.

21. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

Even if the trailer was offered free for use, just a written contract for damage etc.... I think the trailer owner is taking the gamble. Loaned items typically to not some back in better condition.... Some kind of damage deposit needs to be made.

:confused:

23. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I think there is some confusion here about the insurance issue. And, possibly, some variation between the insurance companies.

Firstly, there are two separate insurance categories involved. Liability insurance for damage to another party's property arising from the trailer contacting that property..or property damaged while being transported on that trailer

Second, there is collision damage for the trailer itself...........

In the first instance, it is very likely the user of the trailer would be covered for liability for third party damage by his own insurance carrier while connected to his tow vehicle. By that I mean damage to property totally separate from the trailer. Not goods carried on the trailer unless they are insured separately. A phone call to verify that would be a good move and inexpensive if done up front.

As to insurance for the trailer itself......that could be a bit more difficult in these circumstances. Usually an insurance company requires what is called an "insurable interest" in a item before you can secure coverage. Either documented ownership or a lease would qualify, not sure a 'borrowed' status does.

My own personal experience with this sort of thing occurred when I backed into a '34 Ford at a Rod Run with my trailer. (the car was not present when I pulled up, and was not visible in my mirrors when I backed up). Fortunately it was fiberglass fenders and they flexed enough to minimize damage. Anyway, my carrier paid the damage because it was my trailer and hooked to my truck, which they did insure. At the time, my trailer was not insured as a separate entity...but it is now. Previously though, had it suffered damage, or been stolen, I would have been on my own.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  24. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

The good thing about the HAMB is there a ton of people with an extensive knowledge on a variety of subjects.....

But with all sites there are a few "experts" that need to keep their pie hole shut. Some of them seem to have found your thread.....

25. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

have a HAMB relay (donate its USE to the HAMB) let the HAMB(people) use it.
    sooner er later it MIGHT show up back to you....

:cool:

26. " General insurance rules:

1. You can't insure something you don't own (so your friend can't purchase temporary insurance on your trailer).

2. Liability is automatically covered with regard to any trailer, assuming the towing vehicle has liability coverage.

3. People who sue will go after anyone and everyone they can. If there's an accident and the trailer is involved in damage to someone else or their possessions, and the primary liability policy (your friend's) is insufficient, expect to become involved.

4. An umbrella policy (yours and/or your friends) would help if an over-limit accident did occur. A lot.

5. Liability coverage will not pay for any kind of damage to your trailer, for any reason. Check your trailer policy to determining whether comp/collision will be covered if the trailer is being towed by/in possession of a non-owner.

Signed,
    Insurance Agent in a Prior Life "