Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Dragster Chassis Engineering Company Inc

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by peckerwoodpicker, Oct 12, 2013.

1. peckerwoodpicker

peckerwoodpicker
    from Commerce

Anyone ever heard of them? I ran across a set of blueprints for a 120" fed chassis that had their company name printed across the top but there wasn't an address or any other company info available. Did the chassis builders back then use an engineering company to design and print their blueprints? The chassis looks like a mix of an early Chassis Research K88 and a Lynndwood Eliminator.

2. "Engineering" isn't an uncommon word in the automotive industry, even if the company is not an engineering company. For example, the current "Chassis Engineering, Inc." that sells chassis parts for hot rods.

3. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Chassis Research made chassis for dragsters and also for other forms of racing. Take a look at the decal below and you will see what I mean.

Jimbo

[​IMG]

4. jlhelm

jlhelm
    from Minnesota

5. peckerwoodpicker

peckerwoodpicker
    from Commerce

Here's a few pics of the chassis in question.

Attached Files:

6. Koz

Koz

The plans you have are for Scotty Fenns' drag chassis from 1958. It is actually a 108" WB rail. The frame rails themselves are 120". These plans are all over the place and I built mine from them. Rich Venza on here knows everything about them.

There are a load of threads on here with the companys' history.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  7. peckerwoodpicker

peckerwoodpicker
    from Commerce

Thanks for the info! Do you have any pics of your rail posted here?

8. speedbump

speedbump

i built my anglia bodied comp. coup using that blueprint. had to make alot of changes to get it cert for 7 50 et check it out under comp coupe dragsters mike

9. peckerwoodpicker

peckerwoodpicker
    from Commerce

Wow! I've ran across that thread before but I never would have thought it was built off of the same blueprint. Do you have any pics of the chassis without the body?

10. Great to see a few folks have used the blueprints I've been selling for several years for more that wall hangings.
    Have one ready to mail @ $25.00.

11. 63comet

63comet

What is the chassis shown middle right in the sticker?

Do you have more than just the drag chassis blueprints available?

12. Koz

Koz

My rail is currently in storage Because my shop is swamped with client cars. I'll have it out over the winter for some more work. I don't think I've ever taken a picture of it. I will say that mine won't pass tech and as such is just a toy. I have a narrowed Ford banjo and a gutted 78 case, direct coupled in it so it is pretty much '58 typical. It kills me everytime I walk past it because I just want to sit in it and make motor noises.

I will say that this is about the easiest chassis you can build but it does take a bit of thinking, (not much), Because the plans are typical of the day and not very detailed, you must use your head a bit. The letter that comes with them from Scottys' engineer is worth the $25 alone!

13. Dustin0330

Dustin0330
    from Georgia

I bought a set of these blueprints from Rich a few months ago and plan to build one chassis off of the original plans and build another up to sfi specs to run a few events at the local track.

14. speedbump

speedbump

sure here are a few of the chassis alone

Attached Files:

15. Koz

Koz

Lots of changes there! I know you can't run anything without a double hoop anymore. I need to take some pics of mine which is built pretty much exactly like the plans show.

16. Koz

Koz

17. Dustin0330

Dustin0330
    from Georgia

I would love to see a few pics! I'll definitely have to change the whole design but Im looking to keep the dimensions the same. I plan on using a Cadillac 331 engine 39 Ford 3 speed trans and Olds rear in the chassis built exactly like the blueprint.

18. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I'm going to use Rich's blueprint (framed and hanging on my wall right next to my computer) as the basis for the chassis on the recreation of my uncle's '61-'65 Altered.

The front of the chassis is the same as the altered. I'll have to mount the rear axle under the frame, so that's a noticeable change. The front axle is a straight tube with no drop. I'll also need to completely redesign the roll cage, but that's okay.

-Brad

Attached Files:

19. Koz

Koz

I'm no NHRA tech but I've seem to think that if you put a second hoop in front of the first a few inches as noted in the rule book and added the kidney bars which could be hidden by the body panels anyway it might be legal to about 9.00 or so. I have no idea. Maybe somebody on here knows how much you need to add to get it there. My rule book is several years old now and I'm sure things have changed a lot.

As somebody else on here said, "The only time a double hoop looks good is when you're upside down". I'd probably be a lot more inspired to work on mine if I could do something other than burnouts in the street in front of the shop.

20. ryno

ryno

As somebody else on here said, "The only time a double hoop looks good is when you're upside down". I'd probably be a lot more inspired to work on mine if I could do something other than burnouts in the street in front of the shop.[/QUOTE]

finish it up and bring down to the hamb drags in joplin mo in aug. not an nhra sanctioned track, so you can run single hoop cars

21. Dustin0330

Dustin0330
    from Georgia

I'm going to run a shoulder hoop from the firewall hoop to rear of the chassis with back braces and kidney bars coming up from the main rails. Once I get that in place I'm going to build a five point cage off of the shoulder hoop. Hopefully that will get me past tech so I can run a few of the nostalgia events at the local tracks.

22. Dustin0330

Dustin0330
    from Georgia

Are you going to have this ready for the Gear Jam next year?