Register now to get rid of these ads!

302 cam id

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mr. h, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Long story short I have a 302 long block that's built. The engine builder who has screwed me over many times claims it's a crane cam but can't find the card. Is there any way to find out what firing order it is without pulling it?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

Pull the valve covers and rotate the engine. Watch for intake valve closing on #1, then watch #3 and #5. See which follows 90° after #1. #5 is the standard firing order, #3 is the HO/351 order.

3. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

What Relic said. A question,....If the engine builder has "screwed you over many times", Why do you go back to the guy ????

Just askin'....

4TTRUK

4. 27troadster

27troadster

If your in doubt, I would pull the timing cover and timing gear. Attached is a screen shot from Crane Cams catalog of how to id Crane cams.

this would be quick and easy. Unless the 302 has a thrust plate, then you would have to pull the cam in order to see the other end. Or maybe pop the freeze plug behind the cam to see the end.

Then you can get a cam card from crane and have all the info you need. If you're in doubt as to the builder's abilities, you may want to do a tear down and check everything anyways just as a precaution.

Kipp

Attached Files:

5. Thank you guys. I keep going back cause I gave him 1100 for a rebuilt 302 and he refuses to give me my money back. Just keeps putting parts together and I install and see if it runs.

6. tylercrawford

tylercrawford
    from Buford, GA
    1. S.F.C.C.

can you post up/look up the id # engraved into the end of the cam?

7. No clue what this is but it sure as hell is not a new crane cam that the guy told me it was.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1381962686.613117.jpg

8. Does this cam look familiar to anyone? It has no brand name or part number on it anywhere, just a date and some weird dots with a one.

9. powrshftr

powrshftr

I'm guessing that might be a factory cam from an Explorer...?

10. tylercrawford

tylercrawford
    from Buford, GA
    1. S.F.C.C.

my guess would be some type of factory cam as well.

An aftermarket cam is going to have numbers on it somewhere. Even the most insignificant 3 or 4 numbers is usually a lobe profile # if there isn't a string of numbers for the entire cam.

11. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

12. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

re; post # 5....... Sounds like lawyer time.

4TTRUK

13. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

Dam dude. Id put that back in his shop and I wouldn't open the door to do it. Maybe like more threw the front window.

14. ingram

ingram
    from Georgia

If you could post a couple of lengthwise pictures, I can tell you the firing order.

15. well I picked up a lunati voodoo cam and lifters and rebuilt the engine myself and its running decently finally.

16. Number1FordFan

Number1FordFan
    from U.S.A.

Is this a Hyd Roller cam?
    I worked at Crane Many moons ago(early 90s) when I was there Cranes Roller Cams
    Both solid and hyd were made from Cranes billet cores. They had copper plating between the lobes on the barrel. The Stock OEM (and Ford Motorsport) roller cams were induction hardened and had no such copper plating anywhere.