Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1949 Lincoln Cosmo

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by skidmarc, Feb 27, 2013.

1. skidmarc

skidmarc

2. I have a mint radiator if you are interested.

3. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

My 51 Linc known as el Kosmo. Built in the late 50's by Charlie Hall in Tucson Arizona and used as his restoration shop truck until 2011 when it became my shop truck.
    I plan to fit wide whites, fishtail exhaust tips and Appleton 112's and may experiment with various wheel covers. It has a 12 volt system, twin power antennas, electric fan, Appleton 441's, 4 S-W curved face guages and I think the original black leather seat. It's all original and complete under the hood. The top is custom made with a full headliner and does not fold. I first saw it in 1970.

Attached Files:

40two, Aussiepete. and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. unusual tail light, im liking it =)

5. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

6. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Mulitgrade detergent oil was introduced in 1951. It was the default choice for oil changes in all garages and dealerships in the 50s, 60s and 70s. Chances are your post war car has used nothing else.

You could take off the oil pan and scrape out the sludge.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. THey are '49 Lincoln lights. The originals for that car.
    Although doubled up.

8. The Arizona ute- I want it John. Blackwalls look fine- it is now a truck, afterall. Probably the best looking truck ever made. And that's 'coz it's red. If it was black it may look funureal.

john worden likes this.
  9. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

I agree the black walls look good and look "commercial" but in my mind I see the white top and wide whites contrasting nicely with the REO red and there is a lot of red. The first time I saw it in 1970 "white walls" and "I have to have this" flashed through my mind.
    This is a serious truck. I removed the heavy duty hitch, second fuel tank and Novi A.C. unit because it will have an easy life now. Charlie also fitted a second water temp. guage to keep track of the temp. of both heads.
    The interior is black and I really like the smell of the leather seat and the chrome windshield garnish molding.
    John

10. 2Hep

2Hep

awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

john worden likes this.
  11. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

52' was the first year for the "Capri" as a model, but i have read about the Capri being a trim package on earlier cars. The Lincolns in 52' don't share anything with any other Ford or Mercury that I can find and I imagine the same holds true for the earlier models. Great looking car by the way.

12. flamingokid

flamingokid

El Kosmo es muy bueno....me likey :)

john worden likes this.
  13. KenH49

KenH49
    from Kentucky

Hello, I'm new to this site and have been reading this thread. I've been learning a lot.
    I have just acquired a 49 Cosmo Town Sedan. It has 24560 original miles and is mostly all the original. Just rebuilt the 337 engine and it runs well. It has the Hydramatic option. Most everything works except the radio !

Attached Files:

14. Very cool looking car Ken.
    Be nice to keep that one stock original aye.

Jet96 likes this.
  15. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Ken, Nice looking car. Does the power seat and windows work? Count yourself fortunate if they do. Mine don't so it's a job yet to do. I see you have white walls on it that look good. When budget allows I want to fit the extra wide white wall balloon tires on mine. Like those shown in a photo in an earlier post of Ronald Reagans Cosmo.
    John

16. skidmarc

skidmarc

Hi Ken your four door looks cool. Black is a good colour. What size white walls are on your car? Factory listing is 8.20-15 which is pretty tall. I'm not sure what size to get and I doubt I'll find tyres around home to try on for looks. I would also be keen to know how farthe power seat moves? Mine currently moves around 1" although I haven't really looked at it. Cheers Marc

17. KenH49

KenH49
    from Kentucky

Thanks for all the great input. It's a good group here, I can see.
    LIFESTYLZ - I do plan to keep it as original as I can, but even with the internet and being in the US where it was made, sometimes it is not easy to find parts. But I guess that's part of the challenge of working with vintage machines.

John - The windows work, my brother worked on the car before I got it and rebuilt the pump and replaced a hose at the pump. The seat is not yet moving. I checked it out and the piston is frozen. I can hear the valve try to open but it will not move even with it disconnected from the seat frame. There is a place online that sells new replacements called HYDRO-E-LECTRIC I haven't bought anything there (yet) but it's the only source I've seen for these parts. The seat and window units are supposed to be the same.

Marc - Black is a classic color and it's in not bad shape for it's age but the car will need a repaint before it's all said and done. The tires (or is it tyres) pictured are 3 inch WWs in the factory 8.20X15. These are the original style bias ply. These are older tires and will need to be replaced even though they have plenty of tread. This size translates to 235R75X15 and these are available in WW in the US from a couple of sources, as are new bias ply tires for those who are purists for original fitment. They come in various WW widths up to 4 inches. Either way the price is around $250 US per tire (ouch). When I replace these (not soon) I may go with the radials for better handling and braking.
    I've investigated the front seat a little bit and it looks like the total travel is around (a guess) about 4-5 inches. Not as much as modern cars I think. I did notice that a lever that might be used for a manually positioned seat is part of the frame just beside the electric switch for the hydraulics. This level looked like it had a place to attach a handle and it had notches in it to lock the seat in place when it was lowered. Mine was held in the UP (unlatched) position by a bend in the guide for the lever, apparently this was done at the factory to keep it from locking! If yours has this 'feature' it may be interfering with the travel and why yours only moves about an inch. If the cylinder is bad you may be able to simply disconnect the hydraulics and use the return spring. Though the seat is not on tracks like more modern ones.
    Hope I've passed along some valid info -
    Thanks for all the great comments.
    Ken

18. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Ken, Are you saying you think the seat mechanism contains the manual operating parts as well as the power operation parts? If so am I to believe that I can remove the faulty power operation parts and restore manual operation? If this is true it certainly would make renewed seat operation an easy fix. Thanks for your detailed explanation of these parts. I've not lifted my seat yet or studied the shop manual enough to have known this. I do plan to fit aftermarket power windows incorporating as many original parts as possible. I will first have to raise the windows to see if they match the contour of the custom roof and if not have glass cut to fit. I am also considering eliminating the vent window and frame. I've had one out for repair and like the look but there may be too much breeze into the interior motoring down the road without them. Thanks again.
    John

19. papo49merc

papo49merc
    from La Habra

Sweet looking car.

20. KenH49

KenH49
    from Kentucky

John
    From what I saw it looked like it had at least some of the manual parts to me. There was no handle and I didn't see if there was a stop or a place on the floorboard for the lever to latch to, but that would be 'easy'(?) to do I think. I think it's possible to remove the power cylinder etc. and operate the seat manually. The seat frame appears to pivot on 4 attachment points (2 each side). I have the shop manual but the only info and pictures are about the hydraulics and the seat frame is completely removed from the car. I suspect they used the same seat frame in the lincolns and probably in the Mercs too. It makes for fewer parts at the factory. My seat is stuck in the rear most position which works out to be the right place for me. So I can address it when time allows. I got in to the seat issue when I thought/needed it to go further back because it was a pain to get down under the dash to trouble shoot the turn signals and brake lights.

I'm assuming you are converting to electric motors for the windows. They should be much better as there is no hydraulic leaks to worry about. You can probably run much of the new wiring where the old hydraulic lines ran.

Hope I've provided some useful info.
    Ken

john worden and chryslerfan55 like this.
  21. KenH49

KenH49
    from Kentucky

John,
    I forgot to mention that there is a torsion bar like hollow rod that goes across the seat frame just behind the front rail of the seat frame. It has sproket-like teeth that engage in a series of holes in the frame just under the cushion, one set on each side. This appears to be there to insure that the whole seat (both sides) moves forward and back together.

Ken

john worden and chryslerfan55 like this.
  22. skidmarc

skidmarc

When I imported my car I ordered a new window cylinder from HYDRO as I was told that the drivers unit was missing. My pump goes but haven't got any of the other windows to work. From the instructions supplied with the cylinder the original hydraulic fluid was in fact brake fluid :eek:. HYDRO recommend to change the hoses, clean out the system and replace the brake fluid for ATF. This is on my to do list once I get the engine sorted.

23. KenH49

KenH49
    from Kentucky

Marc,
    HYDRO has been around for a while and I suspect they have seen a lot of the problems that can happen with these systems. Their tech support/sales people can probably give you the best advice on this stuff. Since most brake fluids attract water and corrode the metal parts that's probably good advice.

Have you ever seen an old brake hoses swell and stop the fluid flow completely? I have on two older cars. One is the Lincoln and a 68 MB I once had. They can cause the wheel cyl. to freeze up by keeping the pressure on the cyl. when your foot is off the brake pedal.
    An old hose may just be blocked and preventing the flow.

You guys down New Zealand way are brave to get these old cars made half way round the world and want to make them into something special.

I salute you all for your pioneering spirit.

Ken

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  24. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

You guys down New Zealand way are brave to get these old cars made half way round the world and want to make them into something special.

I salute you all for your pioneering spirit.:cool:

:)Amen to that!

25. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Welcome to the HAMB Peter.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  26. That may slow down hugely now though.
    Ebay Motors, in their misguided wisdom, have
    BLOCKED viewing of cars by ALL International people. :mad:
    That will make it real hard to buy cars now.
    I bet other online selling sites will flourish now.

27. dan31

dan31

Ebay changed their format here also and I got to say it sucks now. I can't see why they ever messed with it ,it was fine.:(

28. skidmarc

skidmarc

Well a bit of an update is necessary. I haven't done a whole lot but have been concentrating on the windows and getting it to run smoother before tidying up the wiring In the car. I have put a holley 350cfm on as the original carb was playing up and wouldn't adjust properly, also the mechanical fuel pump may have a hole in the diaphragm because fuel pressure was down and fuel will run out of the bowl if left even with a non return valve. This wouldn't have helped with the old carb but I have temporary installed an electric pump to get the fuel moving.

The drivers window regulator is missing so I may have to try fabricate one if I cannot source one. The seat cylinder and one rear cylinder leak but do operate. After a few litres of ATF I got all but window one to go up and down fully. I have sent Hydroelectric an email regarding the regulator so will see what they come up with. The do have the springs avalie if I do have to fabricate a unit.

I may have sourced a 6V wiper motor as the vaccum unit is a POS. Will know in the next week. The original motor itself carries the same part number as the mercury but the drive for the wipers are diferent. The drive On the Lincoln has two flats similar to 48-52 bonus or F1.

On a side note I talked to Ken Austin several times before Christmas and he was casting me a 3x2 manifold and and seat of heads for the big flatty. These were to be ready sometime next month but unfortunately he has had to undergo surgery of which went fine but has delayed the machining/casting of these parts.

29. All sounds good mate.

Yell if you need help, parts etc.
    I may be able to source stuff.

30. lincolnlog

lincolnlog
    from Arizona

If anyone REALLY needs cylinders, I've got a box of extras somewhere. I also scored some NOS water pumps and a NOS fuel pump, not for sale :D