Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Which f100 should I buy?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SinCityRatFink, Oct 11, 2013.

1. So I'm having a hard time deciding which of these 2 f100's to buy.

First (blue and white) is the 60 with 223 6 and 4 speed trans theres a little rust in the rockers and hood otherwise body seems solid. The guy messed up the emblems w/paint the interior is very poorly done. Paint was done in guys back yard. And he put a lift gate on it. It does run good tho. Price is firm at 4000. Seems high to me.

Or.......

The second (primered) is a 59 with 223 6 and 3 on the tree. Little rust in passanger floor and little surface as far as I can tell. Also front and wing windshields are cracked. Runs good. But needs clutch work. Seems to be a solid truck to me. I can probably pick this one up for 2200 or so..

Soo.. im leaning more toward the 59. But want some input before i make a decision. My main concern with the 60 besides price is the liftgate. Any input would be great.. Thanx..
    Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

2. TULSA

TULSA
    from Tulsa

I'd pick the 59. That 60 looks like trash. Be more of a pain than anything.

3. Thanx man! I just needed to hear it from someone else!

4. Are these all there is to pick from or do you for sure want a older Ford pickup? If not, there should be better rides around. Try Craig's LIst, local adds, HAMB. How in the world do ya get rust in the middle of the desert?

5. brad chevy

brad chevy

If you can get the 59 for $1200 to $1500 it would be a good deal,if not keep looking.The blue one is just pitiful.

6. Im pretty dead set on a 57-60 3rd gen f-100.. I've been looking for a few months.. havent had much luck and these 2 popped up pretty recently. I've scowered cl in vegas and surrounding areas and not much has turned up. The 59 is the about the best I've seen so far for the most resonable price.. everyone out here seems to think there trucks are worth gold. I looked at both yesterday. The 60 is outta the question already and I might be able to get the 59 for lower but idk..

7. I'd go for the 59, I like short beds. Too bad you can't get both!

8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

That '60 has probably done some heavy haulin' with that lift gate on back...and the body's a mess.

The '59 would be a decent buy at $1500, otherwise look some more. I've been to Vegas, drive around thru apartments (look in car ports for the one with dirt around it, likewise on the back streets and alleys. Guys park 'em 'out back', because the battery went dead, or other minor stuff)

I bought my '55 F100 for $100 in Santa Cruz, back alley from a city policeman. (he was going to 'fix it up', but too big a job!)
    I towed it home, and 2 weeks later I found my jewel. (a '55 F100 that had been a mild custom, stolen and vandalized...chrome bumpers, grille, handbrake, steering column, and much more. All the windows were broken and wheels & tires stolen. Engine & trans gone, got the truck for $60!)

Just look around, the deals are out there! Guys with those trucks out back just don't know how they're gonna get rid of 'em...
    Ride up on a white horse, offer to get rid of that thing. Get the pink slip!

9. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Go for the 59. Putting the lift gate on the 60 ruined the great look of the back, how the taillights look in that slab of a bed. That guy's drunk asking 4000. Cant wait to find my own. I settled for a 66 a while back andnow I still want a 59 or 60.

10. Rob68

Rob68

The 59 for sure. It looks pretty solid. And as long as you can deal with the holes cut in the dash and doors and you can get it for less, its a start.

11. 2racer

2racer

12. luckystiff

luckystiff

13. luckystiff

luckystiff

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/4108402635.html
    http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/3998513463.html
    http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/4032392503.html

i know you probably don't want 4x4 but all that stuff will sell and you can put a jag xj front and explorer rear under it probably more than paid for by selling the 4x4 stuff.....
    http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/4123771366.html

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/4119574969.html

i'd probably be calling on this one....
    http://prescott.craigslist.org/cto/4055220628.html

how big is your budget.......
    http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/4093901145.html
    http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/3984096967.html

and if you're like me and alot of other fridge guys maybe you like slicks to. if so i found several decent 61-63 unibodies in the area while doing this search....

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  14. luckystiff

luckystiff

and those are what i found in a quick 15 minute search.....

i kinda do the finder thing for a little play money and will give you a little trick that helps....

when you search c'list actually do "1957 ford" or 1958 ford etc. if you do it will bring you results from other local(ish) c'list. don't be afraid to broaden your buying area by a few hours drive...ken....

15. Thanx man I appreciate the links and tips. I'm thinkin about going driving today and just lookin. I dig that one in chino valley az. no phone # but I sent the guy an email. Wish I had the bread for that second to the last w/ the 350.

16. derbydad276

derbydad276

I would go for the one with the roller motor in it and finish it and drive it

17. Post Apocalyptic Kustoms

Post Apocalyptic Kustoms
    BANNED
    from Outside

Go with the '59, the '60 looks like a hillbilly has gotten a-hold of it and ruined it judging by the lift gate and boat trailer wheels. (We call them in breeders around here.) the '59 Looks like a much better buy.

18. SteppinOut

SteppinOut

Will you go as far as New Mexico??
    1958 Ford F100 - $3900 (ne albuquerque)
    Great shape. Runs well. 505-463-0875.
    [​IMG]

Or would you go out near Fresno?
    http://fresno.craigslist.org/cto/4122547767.html
    1959 Ford Truck - $2500 (Madera, Ca)
    Tengo una Truck Ford 1959 con motor de 8 cilindros! nesecita unos arreglos pero esta muy bien para alguien que la quiera arreglar!! Los interesados llamar al 559-416-0200 preguntar por Jorge
    [​IMG]

OR
    http://fresno.craigslist.org/cto/4074699040.html
    classic 1959 Ford F100 - $3000 (lemoore)
    I've got a 59 Ford F100 for sale. I've got some other projects I'm working on and don't have the time or space for this one. Asking $3000 but that is negotiable. I was told it ran once before but it needs a radiator .
    Pros - solid body, solid floors, straight body, short bed, 3 spread on the column, 292 wide block, truck is ccomplete.
    Cons- driver side door has a rust hole, needs radiator
    Call or text Alex at 559-309-9408

Good luck shopping for your fridge!!!

19. Well I appreciate everyones input! I decided im not going to buy either truck. I just looked at the 59 again in better light found a whole lot more rust.. so im back to the drawing board.. if anyone sees any more within a couple hundred miles of Vegas let me know. Im still pursuing the other ones you guys posted.

20. La Loba es muey bueno!!!

I just don't get it, ... you say you "gotta" have a fridge and yet you don't know what your looking at of even where to look for that matter .... I would think it would be a better move to, at this point, don't do anything until you familiarize yourself with these fords.

21. I am familiar fords of all sorts.. while I will admit I dont know everything. Im 26 and learning as much as I can.. I know what I want and what im lookin for. I enjoy the advice from men that have been doing this a lot longer than me. Unfortunatly I dont have the means to bring a ride back from fresno or new mexico. The one in new mexico is mighty nice but after everything is said and done Id spend 4500 including gas and board. Thats my entire starting budget for this project. If I had the cheddar I would.

Also I never asked for people to do my hunting for me. I wanted experienced opinions. In this culture not everybody posts on cL, h.a.m.b, etc. if sombody hears something or has a lead CLOSER TO HOME id much appreciat it. Until then ill keep looking, but thanks for the advice.

22. So I bought this 58 tonight.. got it for 2800 with a bed full of extra parts. 60 hood.. fenders.. doors.. sids drop axle. Extra hood emblems. Theres a little rust in floors of cab thats about it. Had to drive it 30 miles back home. No problems at all. And you with were right about the v8. A lot more power. Definitely happier. This is going to be a fun truck. Thank you all for your advice. Ill post pics in the morning. And will be starting a build thread in the near future.

23. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Good for you! Have fun.

24. Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

25. Rob68

Rob68

Right on! Big back window and all. Looks good, have fun. I like the 58 grill the best. And you have a chrome one!

26. Looks like a good buy!

27. luckystiff

luckystiff

just an opinion but i'd sell the Sid's dropped axle and use the money towards a jag xj front. Probably get enough out of the axle to get the jag. As cook and traditional as the dropped axle is the truth is the 3" drop axle actually only drops the 57-60 2" or so not 3".

the jag set up is easy....

28. I was checkin out some threads on this. I'm deffinitly going to consider it. I couldn't find much on the jag years tho? any info?

29. Also anyone know where I can find patch panels for the floor?

30. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

LMC Truck - but I made my own - the "ready made" pans are way overpriced - also, the straight axle is fine, IFS is not the "must" some people make it out to be.