Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Frame options for a '38 coupe?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Christom, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Christom

Christom

I’ve been contemplating my next project now the coupe build is done. Don’t anyone tell her in-doors though! ;) Always liked the idea of a Flattie powered ’28-29 A roadster on ’32 rails with 16” or 17” Ford wire wheels etc etc.
    Anyway, last weekend I went to look at a banjo rear end that was up for sale potentially for this “future” project. Turns out it’s a good ’39 complete with hubs brakes etc. When the ol’ boy showed me what it was once going to go into I’m now rethinking my plans. Sitting in the next door shed was a mint ’38 coupe body stripped to bare metal and covered in grease. :eek: All other panels are “somewhere around” but no frame or running gear. Everything there had belonged to his late brother and all this stuff has been sitting like this for 40 years and it’s now come time to have a clear-out. Mmmmm! :rolleyes:
    So I would need to find a frame if I decide to go this way. I don’t know too much about this period of old Ford - how many model years of frame would work under this body if I can’t get a true ‘38 frame. There's not a lot of this stuff around these parts. I imagine ’37-’39 would work but are there more years and what differences could cause match-up issues?
    I reckon the running gear is relatively easy to get together – a combination of old OEM and repro etc will get it done but I do want to stick with the OEM frame and suspension to keep it tradition/original.
    Any help for a newbie to this swoopy era Ford stuff would be most appreciated.

2. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

35 to 40 pass
    35 to 41 pickup
    Are all basically the same and or can be made to work … p/u ‘s need some brackets added

3. Christom

Christom

Cool thanks for the prompt reply. I wasn't sure about the '35-'36 being the same but that opens up the search a lot. I'll stick with the passenger car frame as first choice - like the idea of just rollin' it under the body with no modification. Cheers! :)

4. Autodave

Autodave
    from Menifee,Ca

Dang, you don't waste any time! I hope you do another build thread for this one.

5. manyolcars

manyolcars

its the other way. for pickups you remove the body mounts

6. Steve 38

Steve 38

In New Zealand, there were no 1940 Fords, due to the War. Imports stopped in 1939, but that still gives you lots of options.

7. Christom

Christom

Yeah - I'm finding myself spending too much time on the HAMB instead of cutting, grinding and welding in the workshop - and generally keeping the neighbors awake all hours! :D

Still keen on doing an old lakes style roadster but man seeing that '38 coupe body has really derailed my thinking!

I must FOCUS!!!! :mad:

8. midroad

midroad

See if you can get a '37 or newer. They have a better steering box.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013