Register now to get rid of these ads!

GASSER MUST HAVES and cant haves?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DirtyDave, Aug 4, 2013.

1. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I've read that Mallicoat Bros SBC powered Willys was making well over 700hp with their turbo system, which was unheard of at that time. Ohio George stated that his twin turbo SOHC '69 Mustang was making over 1800hp!

2. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

Crowd appeal was what i was suggesting...

3. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I wonder if the crowd can hear a blower or a turbo over the exhaust level of a 1800hp engine? I know we can hear blower whine on a street car with muffled exhaust, and much less hp, but I don't think it would be a factor on open exhaust and the extremely high HP, high compression engines of top gas classes.

4. I know OT but there is a bunch of super fast turbo pro mods out there. They have a different sound , but I like'm

5. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I'm guessing that NHRA banned them simply based on them being surprised by the new technology, and the huge disparity in power between those who had a turbo, and the supercharged cars of the period.
    I believe if they had not overreacted the competition would have caught up and gotten on board, and they may have even developed another class for Gas cars with turbos.

6. Larry T

Larry T

We were at the World Finals in Amarillo in 71 or 72 and I can remember watching Dale Armstrong running his Alcoholic Satellite BB/Funny Car. We were sitting on the top end and you could here the blower whine when he left the line. Sounded like a Banshee and the pitch got higher and higher until he got pretty close to even with you when the exhaust finally overpowered the sound of the blower. Still one of my most vivid memories of "big time" drag racing.

7. This is why it cracks me up when guys talk shit about automatics. A Hydro should be the determining factor in what "makes" it a "gasser", not a solid axle.

8. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

We like the 4 speeds in our gasser deal because the modern tracks and tires make the automatics to easy to drive and look like a slot car for the fans. We also don't have blowers so we are more on the lines of A/G not AA/G so we don't have a lot of power. Just trying to bring some talent back to the sport of drag racing. But it's all good if it's a gasser.

9. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

THe new turbo's were very costly where as the 6-71 blowers were around for yrs on big rig trucks

Plus the turbo had a big throttle lag when you hit the gas, 6-71 is instant go

And the automatic trans had no hi stall so you car was not as quick as a roots blown car was from off idle to wide open

A/Gas super was better as the car was lighter

G Don

10. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

turbo has no rump rump sound--- NHRA still holding back blower technology today...

11. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

The Rump - Rump sound is what the fans want to hear, and me too

My home track was San Fernando drag strip located about 5 miles away, and in the 60's on a day when the wind was just right you could hear a Top Fuel car make a run from here at home

Now the sound goes a ton farther with the power they are making compared to the old days

G Don

12. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

And that's what's so weird... it really WASN'T new technology... they had it for years in Europe by then, and here in America the Corvair was turbo'd for several years already.

Yeah, it's a Corvair, so it's not really a comparison, but it is, because the tech WAS here, and the Corvair turbo was influenced by Euro technology.

Turbo's were also used in other racing venues, like boat racing. Lamar Walden has a pair of 409 off-shore racing boat engines in his shop that were factory-built with turbos.
    (the boat is rumored to have been partially dismantled and sent to the bottom of Lake Lanier)

-Brad

13. boogeracng

boogeracng
    from Eureka,MO

Ref George Klass on Yellow Bullet/SWC.............his comments regarding SWC and Alton Dragway/transmission explosion are WRONG. It was NOT a Willys that crashed at ALTON, it was the first of their '67/'68 bodied Mustangs. And, as a result of the crash......impact with a lighting pole about 10' above ground level....Doug never drove competitively again. And, had breathing/respiratory problems all the way until his death in '99. I know this because Doug passed 4 days (pneumonia) before the event promoted (Gateway Gasser Gathering) in St. Louis in '99. My last conversation with the son of the track owner (John Story) revealed he had the remains of a door from the crash............he helped clean it up.

14. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

My uncle Bill taught me if something don’t make sense on the face of it follow the money.
    During the sixties and even before all of the majorUS speed equipment developers and production companies had been focused on superchargers as the ultimate means of going fast. Many of these same companies were major sponsors of the NHRA and sanctioned events as a means of marketing their products. They also had a major influence on and lobbied heavily the governing body which made the rules. On the other hand, not one of the aftermarket speed equipment companies of the day was vested in the development of aftermarket turbos.
    Even NHRA was smart enough to realize it would not have been in their best interest to allow technology in that would pretty much render their major sponsors products obsolete.
    So IMO the root reason is the same behind pretty much all agendas, rules and regulations, economic.

15. 40streetrod

40streetrod
    from nj

OK who builds a straight axle / kits besides Speedway around here?
    thanks
    wayne

16. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I think Jim Meyer Racing sells a straight axle kit.

17. dblgun

dblgun

Build your own axle, it's not that hard.

18. 40streetrod

40streetrod
    from nj

Thank you BB427 as for build your own, that's an idea too Thanks

19. powrshftr

powrshftr

My Dad builds all his own.He's done the last two Willys axles out of stainless steel,and the polish up pretty nice.I'll get some pictures as soon as I get home.

Scott

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

20. powrshftr

powrshftr

You have to remember that the AA/GS cars were the absolute top of the heap though.....they ran Hydros because they were destroying other stuff with big,blown,stroked Hemis,but the working man's cars,many of which ran 283s,265s,and the like,we're running whatever they could find that was affordable:3 spd stick,4-spd T-10,whatever was abundant and affordable.
    And when B&M (and others) built a Hydro to use a clutch,it ceased to be a regular,boring automatic,and became an animal in a class all it's own: A HydroStick! :)

Scott

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Check with fellow HAMBER "BCCHOPIT", he builds high quality axles custom to your width, and he is in your neck of the woods. He is shipping me two of them for a couple of my projects.

22. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is the link. He can do them in chrome moly too.
    http://waccustoms.com

23. Damn, then I guess my B/G NHRA National Record Holder wasn't a Gasser after all since it has Always had a Muncie 4 speed. :eek:

24. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Oh hell I guess my B/Gas record of 121.80 at Irwindale set in 66' will be deleted from the books

25. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I'm starting a trans swap tomorrow Don! Just when I thought my Super T10 was traditional! Now I have to sell it and find a Hydra-Matic!

26. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Hey call B & M maybe they have a old trans setting around you could get for the real deal

My T 10 always worked fine except for one Sunday at the Beach when I had a good leave going with a nice orange 55' Chevy, about 3 ft off the line the trans gave up in low gear

Just stripped all the teeth off of the clutch shaft gear and low on the cluster gear, and bent a few valves when the engine buzzed up way too high

The 55' and I were running the same speeds in practice and would have been a good race too

Oh well that's racing, G Don

P.S.

I was told about a little ball bearing that can give you fits taking the trans apart, well it popped out when I took off the tail shaft housing, after looking with a magnet I found it

When I was going to put the trans back together I needed to hold in that little ball so I had a flared steel tube and I put a Z bend in it and used it to hold the ball in place while tapping in place the tail housing and it worked great

Some times a little self made tool just does the job perfect

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  27. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Naw, think I'll just keep suffering with my Super T10, even if it isn't correct ;)

28. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Yep those Hydro's just got to be boring with noth'n to do, ain't nothing like side stepping that clutch off the line and ' Hang on Sluooop'y Hang On '

29. Larry T

Larry T

When I talked to the original owner about my old race car, the first thing he asked was "Did it still have the Clutch Flite in it?" He said he ran both 4 speed and Clutch Flite, but it had the Clutch Flite in it when he sold it.

[​IMG]