Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical car rolls when off and in gear

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by BillyBobsSpeedShop, Oct 11, 2013.

1. BillyBobsSpeedShop

BillyBobsSpeedShop

So I am a little puzzeled about my car. So went to a cruise and parked on the side of the street and backed into the spot. But there was a slight slope in the street just for water run off I guess. But I parked and turned off my engine and was about a foot or more from the curb. So I put the car in revearse and was getting ready to get out of the car but the car started to roll back so I put it on first and it still rolled back to the curb? So when I got the car back to the shop I put it in gear and tried pushing the car and it only.rolled/ rocked back and forth only a few inches? What would cause this to happen? I am running 40 ford banjo open drive with 3.54 r&p with 46 ford truck open drive 3spd top loader trans? Also brand new clutch with less than 50 miles on it.

Any ideas would be great.

2. Clutch linkage out of adjustment, no engine compression, pressure plate ucked fup. My guess is the first one, seeing as it has been apart recently.

3. Are you running an overdrive?

4. No emergency brake?

Sounds like the clutch is not disengaging. HRP

5. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

Not enough cylinder pressure in the motor? Did it spin the motor over? My brother had an off topic Ford F150 4 speed, went to do a job parked on a hill about 5 minutes later a neighbor of the house he was building wanted to know who's truck was parked in their tree.

6. utahdodge

utahdodge

My dad and I bought a 1966 ford truck a few years ago and it took me having the truck roll a few times before I learned that you had to disengage the overdrive when you parked it or it would freewheel. I think I learned that here as a matter of fact.

7. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

My Nomad years ago would roll on a slope, and then started to roll on level ground if I leaned against it. The engine was worn out, no compression. Fresh engine, no more rolling.

8. geoford41

geoford41
    from Delaware

I do believe they do call them "parking brakes" for a reason Not emergency brakes as my Wife likes to say.. does sound like the clutch adjustment is the return spring for the clutch hooked up or maybe stretched out a little? It sounds just the opposite of my first time driving my old 41 ford pickup with out a return spring on the brake pedal, it heated up those front 56 ford PU brakes and it would not roll at all stupid me!

9. Tomato,tomoto?

A emergency brake is a separate brake system in a vehicle for use in case of failure of the regular (hydraulic or air) brakes and commonly used as a parking brake in automobiles.

Also called a hand brake,E-brake and yes,a parking brake. HRP

10. BillyBobsSpeedShop

BillyBobsSpeedShop

No overdrive, I haven't. Checked compression yet but motor run good? I didnt pay attention to see.if the motor spun over.while it was rolling.

11. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

From my experience no matter what they are labeled or called there is no practical emergency brake. They should be thought of and used as a parking brake only. Non use as such here in rusty land leads to sticking/seized components and problems come inspection time.

MOST are only a secondary system of operating the regular service brakes. Due to the way they are USUALLY set up those with drums are directional, that is they work better in a forward direction than in reverse. Ever do any tests with a good and well adjusted system? If not and you decide to, pick an area with no traffic, plenty of room, and nothing to hit.

Ed

12. fortynut

fortynut

Next time do what everyone who lives in cities with hills do: CRIMP THE FRONT WHEEL UP AGAINST THE CURB --- TURN IT SO IT WORKS LIKE A SCOTCH. PROBLEM SOLVED.

13. MBog

MBog

How old is the engine???

14. BillyBobsSpeedShop

BillyBobsSpeedShop

Engine is out of an industrial welder. I did notice yesterday when parked on hill and meand my wife pushing the car as hard as we could the motor turned a little but not freely while in gear. I thought about putting a parking break on my pinion of my rear but haven't figured out how to accomplish that yet. I am running an open drive banjo also thought of running one of those hydraulic park lock deals. Any thoughts?

15. If it were me, I would fix the parking brake setup that is on the rear end. You can't trust just leaving it in gear to stop it from being moved, thats not enough, especially with a worn engine.

16. Model T1

Model T1

I have, in the past, had to use the PARKING BRAKE in an EMERGENCY to stop. Not saying that's what the parking brake is designed for or that they work in all emergencies. But the last time my garage door and my old car inside it were happy. Yes, I was also happy. This was with older cars with single master cylinders.
    So a parking brake is both used for normal parking and in a slow speed emergency. Especially when stopping to buy tomatos on a farm with hills.

17. scrappybunch

scrappybunch
    from nj

My buddies' model A with a Muncie has a separate lever for reverse gear. He puts the trans in 2 gears at the same time, she aint rollin nowhere. Maybe you could fab up a shifter like that?

18. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

I still think this might be related to an overdrive. Weird.

19. jambottle

jambottle

Years ago i bought a 40 ford coupe out of ohio. had a 301 small block,39 trany and stock rear.car would roll away on slight grade.It seemed to have no compression but worked great.reved like crazy and burnt no oil.It was later transplanted into a 70 camaro and ran strong for years.

20. I experienced similar behavior in my recently rebuilt Model A. I put a lightened flywheel with V8 pressure plate in it. When removing the Crank Pulley Nut, I put it in gear to hold the crankshaft still. I was able to turn the crank with a breaker bar. After scratching my head a bit, I remembered that the new clutch is Centrifugal, and without the engine running and spinning, I don't think it was biting enough to hold. You might have a similar experience trying to use engine compression as a parking brake.

21. I guess we could call it a mechanical brake in most of what we drive. :D

The most common reason a car or truck rolls when parked in gear is a lack of compression. I am guessing flatty of unknown origin? They didn't have much compression to start with. it was common back in the day (and still is if you are the beaner) to carry a rock to stuff under a wheel when you got out.

A clutch not engaging properly would be obvious when you were driving the vehicle.

22. hellenthal

hellenthal
    from Cincinnati

Wheel chocks in the mean time?

I had enough of my truck trying to come after me after it was parked. So even after I fixed it I carried and used wheel chocks.

23. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Anyone who doubts it's an Emergency Brake has never had a hydraulic line spring a leak in the midst of braking (that's when they like to pop), especially on a single master cylinder.

When I was 12 yrs old (I remember because of the year of the car) my grandma's pocketbook fell onto the floor of the car blocking the pedals. I pulled the handbrake as we were entering an intersection.

As for overdrive units, the BW unit will freewheel in forward gears, but will not freewheel in reverse. It's a good habit to put your manual shifter into reverse (just like Park on an automatic).

24. Mart

Mart

This makes no sense at all.

The best thing to do would be to drive out to a quiet road with a shallow gradient. Stop the car and set it in first. Release the brakes and observe what happens. It will either roll away or set still.

If it remains stationary, well, that may just indicate it wasn't fully in gear when you parked it the first time.

If it rolls away that may prove the issue and then it would warrant further investigation.

You said that when you tried it afterwards it only moved a few inches, which I presume means the normal free play and windup in the driveline.

That more or less rules out the clutch needing the engine running to provide centrifugal assistance to make the clutch bite.

Like I said, nothing makes sense, more testing is required.

Actually it does make sense to fix the emergency (or whatever name you want to call it) brake. Here in the UK it is a legal requirement to have a fully functioning secondary brake system in place.

I would imagine that most places have this requirement.

Mart.

25. Yes, back in the day they were emergency brakes & named so in case of brake failure. Overdrives won't freewheel in reverse. Seems if the clutch works normally going down the road with no slippage should rule that out. If your parking place was real steep I suppose it could be the motor turning...