Register now to get rid of these ads!

High energy ignition coil oil leak?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hobbyfreak, Oct 11, 2013.

1. hobbyfreak

hobbyfreak
    from Virginia

Hello all! First off thank you for taking the time to read and or answer my question.
    I have a 350 SBC mated with an oil filled ignition coil. Similar to the picture. My question : is it normal for the coil to leak oil? I know this coil gets very hot but I notice a trail of oil exuding from it. I am not sure if I need to replace it or something else. :confused:
    Thank you in advance:)

Attached Files:

2. loudbang

loudbang

No there should NOT be any oil coming out anywhere. Time for a replacement.

3. jimbo121

jimbo121

4. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

More important is finding "why" it leaks. More than likely the wrong coil for the application, incorrect resisitance causing high current flow and excess heat build up.
    What ignition system do you have and what is the resistance across the positive and negative terminals???

5. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Bubba, what are you doing up at 4:30 in the morning? :D Coffee?

6. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Beats me .........:eek::)

7. hobbyfreak

hobbyfreak
    from Virginia

Thank you for the kind replies guys. I will check on my ignition specs. And will get back ASAP.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. Gman0046

Gman0046

Are you sure the coil was not up against some thing hot like an intake manifold. They are supposed to be installed with an air gap.

9. hobbyfreak

hobbyfreak
    from Virginia

Gman:
    It is actually installed behind the dash on the frame of my 1927 roadster. I may have to move it in the engine bay for proper cooling? Definitely its bad causing the coil to be extremely hot. Its still runs and fires, a friend said it may blow up if prolong. Now I am just trying to figure out if this is the right coil for this application that is why it went bad? or just plain bad?
    Thanks for the reply

10. As Bubba said, the wrong coil can cause exseive heat and cause it to seep oil. Additioanlly, if it wasn't sealed (crimped) properly at the factory when built, it can leak even if it is the right one.
    Is it mounted vertically with the terminals up, upside down, or on it's side?

11. rustang

rustang

There have been a number of complaints on the aftermarket coils from Mallory leaking.... I know the last new Accel coil I bought sloshed around inside and heated up pretty hot and would cause the engine to run poorly...that one did not leak though...

In my case the coil was proper for the application with a ballast, and everything was hooked properly... finally read about issues with Accels coils doing the very thing mine was, and I swapped it out with a stock coil and the issue was gone....

The accel went into the toolbox as a spare, should it ever be needed.

12. dinokruzordinance

dinokruzordinance

If you left your ignition on without the motor running itll over heat your coil and possibly ruin ur points and condensor. I waa doing wet dry compression checks and left my key on after she died while eatting lunch (wife showed up). New coil required

13. hobbyfreak

hobbyfreak
    from Virginia

It is vertically slightly slanted , wire connector up. I will take a picture of the coil / distributor setup this weekend and I will post my readings as well. Im hoping somebody can shed a little light on which one should I get next. It looks like from Mallory's website that there are only 3 choices for this particular coil.

14. hobbyfreak

hobbyfreak
    from Virginia

I did some electrical work in the car that required me to have the key on. (maybe 10min Max) I notice that the coil was extremely hot and I saw the oil seeping. Now I don't know if thats only coincidence or it was bad before that incident.

15. hobbyfreak

hobbyfreak
    from Virginia

Hello everyone!
    So here is my setup on my SBC 350 crate with a mild cam. (I bought the car this way)
    Holley RED electric fuel pump
    Mallory ignition / distributor
    Accel super stock round canister coil (leaks) Reads 846k ohms Keyon engine off
    AFB Carter carburator
    Im thinking of getting the mallory ignition coil to match the distributor.
    Please let me know if you guys see anything that I should be aware of.
    any input is greatly appreciated! :)
    Thank You![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

16. Commish

Commish
    from NW Ok

Your key on comment leads me to believe you have current to the coil. I would think you need to take the coil out of the circuit, with no juice to it, to get an accurate reading of the ohm rating.

17. 2racer

2racer

you may need a balast reistor to drop the voltage to the coil

18. hobbyfreak

hobbyfreak
    from Virginia

Sorry I forgot to mention. There is a resistor installed as well. I will do the coil resistance reading again with it unplug. What reading should I see if its normal? And what should I watch out when buying the new one? I saw the summit and jegs have 2 choices for the Mallory , I think both has like 52,000v where my current accel has 49,000v.
    Thank you for all your input fellows!