Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Flames on a custom ?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Hemi j, Sep 28, 2013.

1. PervertedbyDubs

PervertedbyDubs

Flames belong on Harleys

As a young shop owner I know the old guys with the $ make all the rules..

2. 'Mo

'Mo

3. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

the white 60 looks better with the flames. and to me flames can work on anything as long as the colors and style match the car.

4. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Cleaned this thread up a bit....lets stay on track guys, Customs only no Hot Rods.

5. carnut341

carnut341

Mine has flames and I like them! If my car was a different color I would probally wouldn't use them.

6. autobilly

autobilly

Flamed custom? Jack James' Watson flamed mild custom '57 Buick works for me.
    [​IMG]

7. Jay71

Jay71

I usually don't dig flames to much on customs, that is until I see the car cruising down the street. Then they look bitchen. A good flame will look like its flip flopping as it rolls down the street. Cars gotta be movin for those flames to really come alive. Like that 57 above. Imagine that thing cruising down the street! Damn!

8. I was just trying to figure out what you were saying. Also...I don't care what people think of my flames. More have said they DON'T like them,actually. Doesn't bother me one way or the other.

What I will say is...
    Just because the Hirohata doesn't have flames,doesn't mean it's the Bible for Traditional! It just means it's the Hirohata! If it were the standard,there would have been more cars with the same modifications,and there aren't! If there's a car that would represent what a traditional style Merc would be,I'd say Sam's Merc or the Quesnel Merc(not sure that's right). But,a traditional style car would have to be done the way cars were done back then,and there were many done different than the Hirohata. How can you choose ONE car to tag as the definition of "Traditional"? Just curious....if the Hirohata had,had flames on it,do you still think it would be the standard? Or,do you think guys would still say "I don't like flames,they aren't traditional"?
    Jeff Nepel's Merc is the probably the one that comes closest to the way Customs were back then. No modern shit,no bags,no laying frame,no "trendy" shit,etc.
    I think it's just a personal choice...

9. morac41

morac41

Hi .... Some friends of mine have brought this Flamed 49 Caddy into Australia about a year ago ..was a Nocal car...This car attracts lots of attention every where its shown....Flames do this car justis.......

Attached Files:

10. nexxussian

nexxussian

Interesting read. :)

I wasn't going to post in it, but, some seem to be asking "why flames" or "why did people start painting flames on cars" (Customs / Kustoms in this case).

I wasn't there, but I've heard more than one old timer use the phrase "running at the speed of heat."

In the context of the conversations I took that to mean hauling ass, and the phrase as a euphemism for going so fast that the friction of the air lights the paint or bodywork.

So the cars that start out yellow or gold in the front and the colors fade to darker hues and split into flames seem to fit that idea best (front of the car would be the hottest, if it actually was going that fast ;) ).

If that is the case, painting flames would imply high speed, even when parked.

Not that this is the only way to do flames, and I am all for the sentiment that it doesn't really matter if I like them, it's about what the owner wants.

Rod, Custom, or Kustom, I've always been taught it's about personal expression (some call it "making it yours").

My biggest preference is to see those that are driven. :)

11. autobilly

autobilly

I like flames! :D

12. 59 brook

59 brook

I've got pinstriped flames on my custom to cover the chips in the paint from driving it 15000 miles in the last 2 yrs and 12 yrs on the road. my car, my money seems traditional to me

13. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

This thread still running? Geeez... :D

14. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

The street rod crowd kind of hit the world over the head with flame jobs. It sort of became fashionable to hate on then, but I still have a soft spot for really well done licks - more so on hot rods than Customs.

That being said, I've always loved the flames on the wooden shoe. I know they are archaic, but they are also really graphic.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1381352945.641638.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. Here's yet another photo of the Jeffries-flamed '50 Merc:

[​IMG]

"The MOOSE" '50 Mercury Custom

NOTE: This photo was shot by my father at The 1958 NHRA Nationals held in Oklahoma City, OK (August 29 - September 1, 1958) ... The car was no longer owned by Larry Lorenzo ... It had been purchased by Norman "Woody" Woodruff of Redondo Beach, CA ... Woody and his fellow Drifters Car Club members affectionately called it "The Moose".

16. That's cool! I've never seen the Merc from the back. Didn't know it had flames on the trunk,which,to me,don't look right since the flames on the side don't extend to the rear.

17. I always thought those flames were pretty crazy,for that time period. Loved the overall car too...

18. I have to say I love flames when there done right, a lot of time and planning go into a good flame job ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1381446150.801578.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

19. Con Safos

Con Safos

20. Here's a better view of the "sclames" on the trunk:

[​IMG]

image by Bill Bullet Nose Junge

21. 'Mo

'Mo

'The Moose'. I love it!
    This is some 'Krazy' stuff!
    Anyone else scope the '49 Buick tail lamps?

22. Thanks for the compliment Bob, thats been the goal this whole time.

I think their are certain cars that flames just look good on some hotrods some customs.

23. I have always liked that merc and i do like the flames. The tailights look good ......Ala ...Ralph Testa.

24. I'm not a fan of the "seaweed" style of flames (hey, it's my hangup), but, hell yes, flames on customs work.

25. It seems like so many guys who build Customs just throw a bunch of modifications at it,but don't examine the overall car. Just cause you like those new Caddy taillights,doesn't mean they work on an old custom. T-bird seats are cool,but they don't go with a traditional,50's custom. They're 60's era.
    Now,if you aren't going for any certain era or style,it doesn't matter.

26. Somebody sent me this a long time ago,after another flame discussion here on the HAMB. Think it was when I first showed off my flames.
    I think mine are more like the "modern traditional" style. The guy who painted mine likes this style flames and has used it on many cars and trucks,one being that bitchin black and red Willys,that,unfortunately,the owner passed away. The crab claw is what are the oldest style,like Grabowski's and some of Watson's cars.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  27. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

thanks for the flame chart,Bob

28. 'Mo

'Mo

How could we leave out Bill Hoffman's iconic Chevy?

Though I don't feel he quite pulled off the hardtop conversion (door post around vent window), this Chevy had a lot going for it, including a 'Vette triple intake on the 6,
    and a '37 Packard top-loader trans. Cars such as this were once often referred to in print as 'Triple Threat' vehicles. (Street, strip, and show.)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  29. geno

geno
    from milwaukee

this is my freshly finished 51 merc. I guess this says how I feel about flamed customs.

Attached Files:

30. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

I love flames on a custom!

[​IMG]