Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help my whitewalls are rusting

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by THR1LL3R, Oct 11, 2013.

1. So I ordered a front set of Coker bias ply g78s for the front of my F1 a couple weeks ago, got them mounted up at a hometown mom and pop shop last Saturday. They balanced out great and drove better than the old ones they replaced. Today I decided to clean the truck up in addition to the blue goo on my new tires. I noticed today some black spots (thought it was road tar)and turn kind of an rusty color when you try to rub them off when I used the bleach white cleaner. They were shipped in the plastic and stayed until they were mounted. Now before I call Coker is there something that could of happened during the mounting process? Maybe the slime they slop on the tires when they mount them? Has anyone else had this problem?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also noticed inconstancies in the whitewall themselves, never really paid
    attention before but I get them spots made me really look at them.

I this pic the top hangs on the rim lip
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Not to be a dick.... but I think your being to picky. I mean can you see those spots if your not on your hands and knees?
    Those spots look like welding spatter?

3. These wheels have been completely painted and this is the second set of tires, I doubt if the rust fell off the wheels

[​IMG]

4. Really? Being picky? Brand new tires with rust spots?
    Right I had a ton of rust falling off my hands and knees when I was washing my truck in my backyard. If it was weld splatter they would be way worse I'm sure

5. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Doesn't the glue from behind the white part bleed through after a while? I know I read that somewhere.

6. Wipe them down with coke, (not the white powder stupid) keep them wet with it for a while, rust will be gone, life will be good! Somewhere in the process they got some grinding dust on them, big deal, don't call Hupy and Abraham!

7. Those look like crap! Shouldn't be any spots in the whitewall rust/discolored or not. Looks like something isn't right there! My Coker white walls don't have any spots or spec's at all in them and they have not discolored yet and I've had them on for about 14 years now!

8. xrosczech

xrosczech

You said it had "black tar" stuff on it, it might have been tar and now stained the white as it soaked in, about being picky, I'd be annoyed too If dropped some serious dough on new tires and saw that, but you'll get over it soon enough..I did.

9. Wipe the white wall with some solvent and see if the black spots come off. Could be a tar substance on them?

10. wheels1950

wheels1950
    from PA. USA

Doesn't the glue from behind the white part bleed through after a while? I know I read that somewhere
    I don't tHink Coker glues their white walls don't they cut them in your talking about diamond backs had a lot of problems with those beforethey turn yellow!
    Frank

11. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

I put a set of Coker wide whites on my sled and am less that satisfied with them, dark spots , like yellow, I just can't get it off or get it white.

Lession learned, next time buy from someone else.

12. Try purple power and a scrub brush,,that's what I use,,never a problem. HRP

13. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

He "thought it was road tar".. Some time tires just suck... I picked up a set of a different brand one time, and one of the quality was so bad and the white was completely different. It was either made on beer friday or hungover monday...Ended up hiding that one under the skirt, still bothers me when i look at it to this day...

14. h.i.

h.i.
    from denver

x2 on the welding/grinding spatter. The bottoms of all my drink glasses look like that if they are in the garage when I am grinding. The little particles are burned in to the rubber. See if you can pick them out or lightly sand them off?

Were you grinding anything near these tires? Was the shop that mounted them?

15. h.i.

h.i.
    from denver

Do all 4 look like this? It looks really evenly distributed to be welding or grinding mess. If all 4 are like this seems more like it's mfg defect.

I understand it's not a perfect process but for what those fuckers cost they should be nearly flawless.

16. 2935ford

2935ford

I no longer buy or run whitewalls for that and one pair of Firestones I bought became very hard and difficult to clean...then there is the issue of yellowing .........just to much maintenance for me........now, blackwalls on everything I have.

17. RustyNCA

RustyNCA

We sure had good luck with our Diamond Backs. The held up really well, ran true, etc... I do remember them mentioning you could sand them if need be. But they also said to never use the white wall bleach on the tires. So I always used plan old dish soap and water, if it needed it more, then went to Awwsome cleaner that you buy at the dollar store.

[​IMG]

18. wood470

wood470

i don t know about Coker but usually white walls are a layer of white rubber under the finish layer of black rubber that is left black for black walls or is ground thru and buffed out for white walls

19. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

The more I read about WWW's, the better I feel that I wasn't able to get them. They just seem like a big hassle, especially for a daily driven car. And now rust spots? WTH?

20. Fitty Toomuch

Fitty Toomuch
    from WVa

Metalic brake dust;)
    Or if your in Ohio they seem to have iron ore mixed in the asphalt?

21. Bought a set of WWW from Coker for our 32. They were a solid and even white when new - no complaints. They do get dirty so we use the old Westley's Bleche White. Works every time.
    Only issue for me is the way they handle - but that's bias ply...

22. I'm not affiliated with any tire manufactures and know less about what goes into making tires,but how can a whitewall tire rust?

Why not call Coker tire and send them a E-mail showing them what you showed us,,they may be able to help,all we can do is speculate.HRP

23. 3340

I Think I Would Take The Advice Of, HRP

24. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Just might have been some contaminants in the mold or molds. Small minute metal filings in the mold and pressed into the tire. They'll probably swap them out for you.

25. coppertone

coppertone

Those red spots look exactly like tar spots look like after taking the tar spot off. But, man that's a lot of them without knowing they were tar and I've never had that many even after going through fresh tar. Appears to be metal filings left frpom grinding, like a galvanized nail will eventually weep rust on an exterior wall rather than using nails that won't rust. Does Coker grind with metal that will rust rather than grinding with rust free?
    I use 421 Cleaner that I bought at MSRA Back to the Fifties. Spray it on wipe off with clean cloth, any spots or problem areas I soak scotchbright with 421 and always come clean.
    My tires are Diamond Classics (second set) 65,000 miles and always come clean.

26. wade57

wade57
    from BC Canada

Looks like sparks from your grinder. Or maybe the steel belting is rusting away.

27. trevorhood

trevorhood

I just put a set of WWW G78-15's on my 63 f100 unibody. They look great and love them. Have you thought maybe the tire shop you took your tires to, got something on them or were grinding nearby?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

28. SuRfAcE_RuSt

SuRfAcE_RuSt

Yup.

29. Weasel

Weasel

If it's a tar substance use lighter fluid on a dry rag - it'll come right off....

30. Hmm,were you there when the tires were mounted? Was there any grinding going on in the shop? Sure looks like grinding/welding splatter . If in doubt call Coker